Shutdown, Shutout - Unaka 19, Hurley 0

djr4hurleyfb

Making the return trip to Unaka after last years memorable come-from-behind victory, it was Hurley's turn for the 3 1/2 hour, 170 mile drive to Elizabethon, Tennessee. When they packed there equipment, they apparently forgot to bring the most important thing: the desire to win.

As previously thought, injuries was not an issue as 18 kids dressed and played (only two, both Freshmen, did not dress). Coming out to play flat was the beginning of the Rebels problems (after forcing Unaka to punt on there first possession, the Rebels fumbled there first offensive play back to Unaka, who scored a few plays later). The offense struggled the entire game, never seeming to get out of first gear. I've yet to see the official stats, but I'll bet Hurley did not net over 75 yards of total offense. The running back by committee backfield is killing the rhythm of the game, and the passing game is non-existent. I think the QB completed 3 of 5 passes I remember, and both imcompletions were catchable balls. Teams are not respecting Hurley, loading the line up with 9 and 10 kids every down but 3rd and long.

Defensively, Hurley just looked lethargic. Our kids looked like they were running at half speed all night long, while Unaka's kids were sprinting full speed (the same could be said for our offense too). Unaka was by no means a power house team; they were simply more aggressive and did everything at full speed. Hurley's DE's need to play standing up instead of in a down stance (Hurley lines there DE's on the outside shoulder of the last man of each side of the line, be it a Tackle or Tight End) and our Secondary needs to be much closer to the line instead of 10 to 15 yards away from the line of scrimmage in a position where they can't make plays until 3-4 yards has done been given up.

On a positive note, our defense was not mandhandled up the gut all night as was the case @ Appalachia. Adjustments were made and while Unaka was not getting stuffed for losses consistently, they did have to fight for yardage up the middle.

Arguement can also be made that had it not been for a couple mistakes, Hurley probably only loses 6-0. A roughing the kicker penalty on a punt led to Unaka's second TD, and there was the aforementioned fumble on Hurley's first offensive possession. Another punt was mishandled and Unaka recovered it as well.

All in all, it is truly a blessing to have the bye week come next week. With all the kids injured who missed 75% of the practice time this week and the lack of doing what they normally would do if they were all healthy, Hurley is going to need these next two weeks to get prepared for the remaining nine games. The primary focus must be on getting the kids moving at full speed, all game long and finding a way to move the chains and score points. With a few tweaks and some more blitzing (Hurley blitzed once tonight; the LB sacked the QB for a big loss, and it never happened again), the defense would be even stronger.

Its a nine game season now. The talent and coaching is there, its just got to mesh in harmony. 9-1 should be the goal now, attainable or not. You play the game to win 'em all, not to lose by less than 30.

I have been reading your posts for quite some time and I have come to a conclusion, you should be an NFL coach, guaranteed coach of the year, just like the Marcum kid. I just adore bystanders who seem to know more about the game than the coaches and players themselves. We all know who you are, you're at every practice, so why down your team the way you do? Hurley gave that game away, they were down 13-0 in the fourth quarter so tell me how that is a complete shutdown! Unaka scored on a fumble where they got the ball back I think on Hurley's 20 or 30 yard line. The last score of the game came on a big run up the gut where Hurley was blitzing, which wasn't the first and only blitz of the night. The only blitz a FAN would have recognized is the one where Shane Justus blitzed inside the tackle. They ran that several times as a matter of fact. Defensively the team was in the game the entire night and I guarantee if Hurley would have scored 1(one) time they would have came home with a win. You do attend practice everyday so why dont you understand Hurley's defensive scheme? You stated in your post Hurley's DE's line up on the outside shade of the TE and OT, which is not true. They align head up on the TE and OT, reading their blocks and reacting. I have another question for you, if you were an offensve lineman, which you probably were if you ever played football, would it be easier to engage a DE who is standing up or one who is in a stance firing off the ball? I'll answer that for you, if a DE is up, he will be drived off the LOS very easily, if a DE is in a stance, he is low, which makes it harder for an offensive lineman to drive him back. Offensively, the offensive line has some work to do. Hurley's backs ran well but it's hard to run the ball when linebackers are roaming free. I guarantee the offensive will be impressive against Montcalm. If you respond to this post please keep it positive. It's your team too, you're at practive every day so support your team, instead of putting them down on this post, try saying, "Hurley you had it but gave it away, the 18 players you have were better than the 40 players they had, you need to be conditioned, you need to practice harder, be more focused, and contiunue doing the right thing and good things will happen."

A FAN.....

"Hurley gave that game away, they were down 13-0 in the fourth quarter so tell me how that is a complete shutdown!"

I didn't say blowout, which means Unaka put up numerous of points. I said SHUTDOWN, which means Unaka did not give up many yards nor any points. Check the stats, if Hurley gained over 85 yards I'd be shocked. I wish that stat said 285, but it doesn't. Fact is fact. Hurley got shutdown, and Hurley got goose egg'd.

"I just adore bystanders who seem to know more about the game than the coaches and players themselves. We all know who you are, you're at every practice, so why down your team the way you do?"

So you know who I am, why not tell me who you are? I've never tried to hide who I was, yet you make sure to keep your identity hidden from me (A FAN, pretty good indicator about who you are isn't it?). I'm not shy (although it may look that way since I sit on the bleachers during practice). Come talk to me sometime. I'm nice; just opinionated.

"You stated in your post Hurley's DE's line up on the outside shade of the TE and OT, which is not true. They align head up on the TE and OT, reading their blocks and reacting. I have another question for you, if you were an offensve lineman, which you probably were if you ever played football, would it be easier to engage a DE who is standing up or one who is in a stance firing off the ball? I'll answer that for you, if a DE is up, he will be drived off the LOS very easily, if a DE is in a stance, he is low, which makes it harder for an offensive lineman to drive him back."

If this strategy is better, how come Hurley's DEs make so many fewer tackles and sacks at the LOS or in the backfield in comparison to Unaka's DEs, specifically #8, who made numerous of plays from a standing position?

Your theory on engagement is accurate in the NFL and college. I don't think it applies in high school, for the same reason you don't see the Power T, Single Wing, or Wing T offenses run by NFL and college teams. Its a different world. The single wing would be slaughtered by a NFL defense, if not I am sure we'd see somebody use it.

From the point of view I am looking at from the stands, unless a team runs DIRECTLY at Hurley's DEs they won't make the play. Why? Because the kids typically playing DE for Hurley aren't fast enough to chase anybody down and being so far away from the ball in a down stance, it takes them longer to find where the play is going.

That, in and of itself, is a problem. Every kid on the field shouldn't be defending a spot/zone when 9 times out of 10 the opposition is going to simply run the ball up the gut, sweep left, and sweep right you to death. Why keep a FS 15 yards off the LOS when a team is continually running the ball? Bring the FS up, put that extra man in the box, and dare them to throw on you. Getting burnt on a slant inside the 20 is not reason enough to "fear Unaka throwing" to the point where you keep the FS in Cover 1 all night long or is it? There is a reason Unaka threw the slant and tried to throw on the outside. They know Hurley's FS has the job of covering the deep center and anything in front of him. That is why they threw more passes against Nathan than any other DB who played all night long. They quickly see a size mismatch and hope to exploit it. It worked on the slant, but Nathan played great coverage the rest of the night, hence they quit throwing his way.

I felt that the difference in winning and losing that game was that Hurley was "jogging through" the game, never once opening up at full speed. Unaka was full throttle all night. Go back, and look at the tape, specifically any play (Hurley or Unaka ran) that was a sweep or off tackle run. Unaka was at full speed, Hurley was still in 1st gear.

I quote you...

"Hurley you had it but gave it away, the 18 players you have were better than the 40 players they had, you need to be conditioned, you need to practice harder, be more focused, and contiunue doing the right thing and good things will happen."

Conditioning was NOT an issue against Unaka. Appalachia's late scores may have been a result of a not-yet well conditioned team, but losing to Unaka was not a result of conditioning. Hurley lost the battle on all fronts. You cannot play what if games. "I guarantee if Hurley would have scored 1(one) time they would have came home with a win." Hurley DIDN'T score one touchdown. In fact, one touchdown still would not have won that game (6, 7, or 8 points never beats 19). I do see what your implicating with that comment (had Hurley scored once, the momentum would have changed), but they didn't, end of story.

I previously thought having a bye week this early AND having it be before playing Montcalm was a major scheduling blunder, but find it very important for the rest of the season. The kids who played somewhat injured have two weeks to get healthy, and get plenty of practice time in. Best of luck to them all. I pray they all remain injury free, and hope to make it there some evenings (I typically don't get off work until 5, hence why I've not been there as much since school started if you noticed). After all, a person must really love the sport and the team to attend practice on a regular basis and offer kids a ride home if they need one, especially considering I don't have a son on the team as the other people who attend do.

I see you know how to cut and paste text from one message to another. Good Job! I have not tried to hide my identity, I don't feel it is necessary to post my identity but since you called me out, this is Coach Stiltner. If you think you can run the Defense any better than the coaching staff on board now go speak with Coach Hall and let him make the decision otherwise stop criticizing. If you really care for the team then try encouraging them. And until our practices are closed then I guess we will be seeing you everyday. I really dont believe you come to practice because you love the team, you come to practice so you can have something to write about the next day. How can you say conditioning is not a problem? Conditioning is ALWAYS a problem... If you could watch the film then you would understand. Shutout, Shutdown, Blowout, who cares? That game is over and even though the score doesn't reveal it, that game was a lot closer than it appeared to be. The next time you feel the need to comment on the DE's play and alignment come talk to me. I probably shouldn't be responding to your last message, in fact, I wish I wouldn't have read it, but I am sick and tired of people in the community not believing in their TEAM. This is Highschool football, the greatest times of their lives, so why ruin it by criticizing them on a message board? Either you are with us or you are not... I believe in our TEAM and I could care less if you do or not. The players have got to learn to play for theirselves and their teammates and to not worry about anything or anyone else. All your messages are is a distraction. Until they learn to trust the COACHES, not FANS, and trust theirselves it will be a long road. I'm not going to sit here and quote you on everything you said, I know how to read, I comprehend it the first time I read it, so please dont waste your time with that foolishness anymore... To all the Hurley football players, see you at PRACTICE.

Apparently you have never watched a football game, and had any sort of opinion on it (outside of the ones you've coached), right? I apologize sincerely if I have stepped on your toes and offended your team. I only intended to spread the word about what was happening with the Hurley team, and hopefully get some discussion going. Discussing this team in detail is like throwing stones in a glass house. I'm only going to break something, and make people mad. Instead of getting responses debating any points disagreed upon, I am mocked because I don't have a position on any coaching staff and met with smart remarks galore, as if this were grade school.

Thank you for your time, it was a pleasure discussing things with you. Its a shame I've made you angry, you were the first person to actually go in-depth about Hurley football with me. Next time, try not to take it so personal. I only wanted to talk.

-Josh

once again we have a young man come back to our county after finishing college and give something back to the community. coach stiltner (marcus) not only starred at grundy for three years (two state semi finals), but started four years at vmi and graduated with a degree in engineering. seems like he has more than enough knowledge of the game. i guess the reason he is from grundy he has not gained enough to know more than the fine people of hurley. you should be thankful for this man's will to teach kids something they have never been taught before, how to win......keep on working marcus.

No I have never watched a football game before, hell what is football? First of all, you started this conversation with the criticizing. Yeah if you want to talk football we can talk football. To be a REBEL Fan does not mean to jump on the band wagon when we're winning, it means to be a SUPPORTER even when we lose. I understand Hurley has their doubters just like every other community but just keep it to yourself. If you want to criticize somebody criticize yourself leave them out of it. Your last post brought tears to my eyes, it really did, everyone is just mocking you and making smart remarks towards your messages, however not once did I quote you and follow the quote with a "smart remark", now can you tell me who did that? Please just leave it at that and let's stick to football...

Coach S

Well let's see now since you have "proof" I guess I had better tell the truth....

You ready...

How about now...

NO... but just out of curiosity I would like to know what kind of proof you have considering this was the first time I have posted ANYTHING in about 2 years... Prove it to me PUULEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

i have LOL for you how about not starting theo and steph. and maybe heath,or should i keep on going on how grundy has always found a way to have talent on there teams but it seems to me in the last 7or8 years grundy has had someone from hurley on its team and i dont mean just on the bench but a starter so could you please tell me what is so funny;)

been like that for years man...given the choice of where to go to school, I would take Grundy over Hurley any day.

Graham has the same thing with Bluefield...

PV and Appy....

blah blah blah...the list goes on.

That stuff has been going on since the 1950's between Grundy and Hurley.

rebel 90, how come the great tester could not start at grundy? scammell beat him out, so he went back to hurley. what parent would want their child to play for hurley, if they were looking out for the kids better future.

Oh yeah you're my Hero. I thought you said you had proof? What happened to the proof? You know who I am so come talk to me, I'll be at Hurley High School at 1600 hrs today. Come see me!!! Again, you said you had proof, so let's see it. I know what I have posted and I AM NOT The Rebel... who knows it could be YOU!!! Come see me, we'll talk...

[ QUOTE ]

Lance are ypu saying it cant be done? DON'T BET ON IT... people shouldn't talk about trash about people and get away with it. if he was a man he would admit it.

little rat

[/ QUOTE ]

You lost me bro...i don't know what you mean by "it can't be done"? confused.gif

the great tester is right scammell couldnt hold a light to him and if you would think about im sure you would agree or is to much to ask to tell the truth. i have a answer for you what has scammell done since grundy let me answer that for you nothing as for greg how many times have you seen him in the paper for doing what he does best playing football and im not taking anything from scammell he was a good back but if you ask 10 coaches in the county how they thought is or was better hed say greg tester he continues to amaze watchers with his strength and size and i do agree grundy has a much better school not all around though maybe if you take away there bigest sport i think its called (BOYS IN TIGHTS)LOL. they wouldnt be so popular other than that the 2 schools are not so different maybe better teachers and how about stretch mounts you guys still loving him lol. keep it real!!!