new football coach at martinsville

zack

Martinsville hires new football coach

Thursday, February 15, 2007

By ADAM REGAN - Bulletin Sports Writer

Chatham Head Coach Matt Foutz will succeed Taylor Edwards as the new Head Coach of the Martinsville football program, Principal Dr. Tom Fitzgibbons announced Thursday afternoon.

Foutz, a 1990 graduate of Bridgewater College, brings 17 years of experience, including eight years at Chatham, to the Matinsville post.

For more information read Friday's edition of the Bulletin.

from the mville bulletin...

Friday, February 16, 2007

By ADAM REGAN - Bulletin Sports Writer

The committee responsible for selecting Martinsville’s next football coach was looking for the total package.

After a two-month search, it finally got its man.

Chatham Head Coach Matt Foutz will succeed Taylor Edwards as the head of the Martinsville football program, Principal Dr. Tom Fitzgibbons announced Thursday afternoon.

“We are confident that Couch Foutz will carry on the Martinsville football tradition,†Fitzgibbons said. “They may not always win the district or make the playoffs, but the Bulldogs are always going to be a factor.

“This is the perfect time to usher in a new coach, and he is a perfect fit.â€Â

The Rocky Mount native was one of seven candidates interviewed for the opening. A commitee made of coaches, administrators and parents chose Foutz based on his 17 years of coaching experience (eight as a head coach), college contacts and teaching resume.

“We wanted the best coach for our kids,†Athletic Director Bill Scheib said. “He hit me as a brilliant, young football mind and he is highly regarded by a lot of college coaches.â€Â

Foutz said he compiled a 39-53 record over the past eight years as Chatham’s coach. He garnered the 2005 Danville Register and Bee Coach of the Year Award after leading the Cavaliers to a 10-2 season and a trip to the Group A Regional final. Assistant coaching stints at Hargrave Military Academy (1992-98) and Amherst County High School (1990-92) also impressed the committee.

“I am extremely honored to take over such a great job,†Foutz said. “I’m excited about following in the footsteps of some great coaches.â€Â

Following Edwards, who tallied 203 wins and a state championship, may be a tough act to follow. Edwards not only stayed for the long haul (25 years), but raised the expectations of the community.

“One of the reasons I took this job is because it wasn’t a rebuilding effort,†Foutz said. “The athletes are in place and are ready to work. I think we can live up to expections.â€Â

Scheib informed Foutz during the interview process that Martinsville fans expect to win immediately. Foutz said he is up to that task.

“I believe that it doesn’t matter what happened last season,†he said. “Realistically, I’m looking at competing for a state championship every year.â€Â

Foutz plans to move his wife Hila, and children Holland, 5, and Eli, 2, into the community. He hopes to have an effect on Martinsville’s youth as a leader and an educator. The physical education teacher earned 2006 Chatham High Teacher of the Year honors and the Dogwood Track Coach of the Year award.

“My first priority is developing athletes,†Foutz said. “As for all the students, I’m looking to teach life skills and build confidence through fitness. I want these kids to learn they can accomplish anything.â€Â

I was a little surprised that Martinsville didn't get someone already associated with the Bulldog program like Scheib or Bobby Dalton. Matt Foutz sounds like he will be great for the program with his experience. I wonder if there is any relation with Dan Foutz of the San Diego Chargers? Fat chance huh? As a former Bulldog I wish Matt Foutz the best and hope he continues and even improves the MHS tradition.

[ QUOTE ]

Just an FYI

He was Dan Fouts not Foutz.

[/ QUOTE ]I sort of knew that. It was a 'tongue in check' comment. I just hope coach Foutz brings a lot to the Bulldog program. It needs to be re-energized to some degree.