Why?

LegendatLegion

Why is it that some folks want to trash GC? Is it hatred? Is it jealousy? I don't understand why in the world someone would feel the need to trash the Devils in a post about Grundy and Richlands. I just wanted to read some opinions about the game. I was impressed with Richlands, and in all honesty they should've beaten us. They didn't go for the jugular when they had us down, or maybe GC didn't let them. I was as good a game as i have seen in a while. Before today i didn't care who won, but i've become a Blue tornado fan!

I obviously don't talk for all the Devil fans, but i am proud of the Big Blue this year, and am glad to be 2-0! We down here at this "little A school" are just so lucky to still be winning since dropping down! Please! I know anyone can throw opinions and venom around just by getting a logon. That is okay also, just wondering where/why all the hatred coming (apparently) from Grundy fans. The post i'm referring to is at least the fifth in the last three weeks from a Wave fan about GC. Maybe they should remember that GC has 4 state championships and three came in AA while Grundy was a part of Region IV. We also had many Region IV champions in that span and Grundy NEVER won one when they had to go through GC! I know they couldn't have beaten GC the last three years either. I guess if you they don't go 14-0 and win the State title it will be a total waste of a season since they have their greatest team ever.

I could almost understand a post like that if it came from a G-men fan since they have a great tradition also. They would have something to talk smack about. I find it amusing that in the same post that i am referencing the person said (as a validation) that you had beaten Graham and Richlands had not! I guess that says it all right there! You validate yourselves by your performance against the Graham's and GC's of the region! grin.gif

I do not represent GC in any way shape or form! I am a fan, former player (Not very good at that!), and overall lover of high school sports. This is also why I am going to be in Big Stone Gap on Friday to watch what i hope will be a classic matchup of two very good high school teams. We folks down at this "little A" school like to await the end of the year to see if we had our greatest team ever! We do have, of course, a reference point to compare teams to which can take awhile. We've had so many good ones! HA!

Honestly, I think Grundy fans are just trying to rationalize their predicted destruction of Richlands this Friday night. Somehow they think by degrading Gate City and Richlands and building up those Kentucky teams they beat they will feel more confident. Not saying they don't really believe GC and RHS aren't good teams, because I think they do believe that.

Personally, I think GC is every bit as good as they have ever been. I don't think they played their best game against Richlands, and I don't think Richlands played it's best game against them, but both are very talented.

I wouldn't be to concerned about it on a message board, besides it's the talk that is in the game that matters.

Anyhow, didn't respond to post message board ediquette, but simply to say we did a poll sometime in '03 about which hypothetical regular season games people would enjoy seeing most, graham and gate city, and bluefield and gate city were a few of the highest voted. Personally I'd really enjoy seeing bluefield and gate city, 2 traditional teams in the swva region. And down 81 it wouldn't be that bad to travel for either team.

Bluefield supposedly has a 1 game contract with beckly, this week's game, lee high was a game series with this being the 2nd game in '04, and the martinsburg game is a 1 game contract from what I was told. That would make 3 games bluefield has to schedule for '05. Perhaps the people at gate city, or pv, could put that in the back of their minds.

And so it's perfectly acceptable when you start out by "degrading" two Kentucky high school football teams? Can you say DOUBLE STANDARD?!?! As good as GC and Richlands might be, that doesn't put them on an invincible pedestal. I never "degraded" either Richlands or Gate City in any of my posts, just stated the facts.

The funny thing is that you know the feud is getting really heated when a team starts dogging the other teams on the opposing team's schedule, lol.

You are not actually who i posted this to! Still, nobody said either one of GC or RHS was invincible! The one who posted and said that this was the greatest team ever at Grundy, then dogged Richland's schedule and trashed GC got me started. That in it's self is no big deal to me, trash talking is a way of life in sports nowadays. The context that GC was thrown in as a weak link on the schedule of Richlands is what i decided to respond to. I'm not mad! Don't take it too personally, i just decided to respond to some of the things posted. In the long run it doesn't matter who either of you have played come Friday night! It will be 11 on 11, and it sounds like it will be an epic! I hope it lives up to the hype! If Grundy ends up 14-0 and wins the state I will say congrats! I always pull for the local teams! Let's win a few more before we call them the "greatest ever!"

Good post, Gate City never "re-builds" they just reload. they are a known football town and their fans and teams prove that. Richlands enjoys the match ups and it is a win- win situation. Richlands did have GC on the ropes and tried to put it away. but GC defense is well coached and stingy and they held their ground. Blue Devils never quit.

Graham won't play GC anymore because GC dropped to single A. Graham will not play any single A schools and in fact played GW Danville from the largest division in the state last year. The drop to single A did nothing to decrease the potency of any given GC team. And in fact, if Graham did continue to schedule GC, they would be running about a .500 record against them. Gate City is still one of the premier SWVA programs, at any classification. All this is said to lead to this. Grundy has shown in the past that they don't mind playing some single A schools. I wonder if they tried to schedule GC before they took off to Kentucky? You've got to make yourself battle hardened.

I think GC could and should have put Richlands away at the half...I thought they were the better team and they won the game? I don't think they are as good as they were last year though? If that's "trashing GC" then I guess thats they way I feel. They lost a lot of people, a lot of good people...nothing wrong with that.

As for that game, I think it was one of the best I have been to...the atmosphere was awesome...and GC has some great fans...it's almost quiet at Grundy on the home side most of the time...ask the players...they notice it. I wish our fans were in to the game more like what you guys have...if there is any jealousy involved, it would be that for me. I'd love to see a sold out game at Grundy with the stands full and people standing on the track...will be interesting to see how it looks Friday night when Richlands visits.

Richlands will bring the crowd, but I do expect a large crowd at this one, hollar at ya Friday, got someone to cover till the games over. Yes, Friday Night Football!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

And so it's perfectly acceptable when you start out by "degrading" two Kentucky high school football teams

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not degrading anyone. I was pointing out how Grundy fans are putting down Gate City because Richlands took them to overtime. And how Grundy fans are claiming the Kentucky teams are better than people think.