My thoughts on Richlands @ Graham...

Bluefield_Rules

Looking back I was surprised to see that Richlands hasn't beaten Graham since 1998 and that they're 1-9 in the last ten games against Graham. Although, what has happened in the previous years means nothing come Saturday night; or does it? Does Richlands possibly have a mental block versus Graham? No one on the Richlands team has ever beaten Graham.

Having watched Graham twice this year against Bluefield and Blacksburg I've seen the G-Men look horrible and then look improved the next week. Although, I think looking improved against Blacksburg had much more to do with the huge drop in caliber of opponent. Graham's defense is solid and will have to carry them against the tougher opponents, Richlands and Grundy. The Graham offense doesn't have the explosive playmaker in the backfield, but Henry is a workhorse that will chew up yards. I still believe Graham needs to play #44 more on offense in place of Billy Napper. He would give Graham that explosive player around the edges.

I've not seen Richlands play this year, but I've read up on them quite a bit. The Richlands defense seems to be quite solid. I know they have an outstanding running back in Ringstaf (sp?) and solid offensive players around him. The QB seems to be solid and capable of passing the ball. Undoubtedly, this will be the second best offense Graham’s defense has faced this year.

The battle in the trenches will be big in this game and even against Blacksburg Graham's OL didn't hold up all that well. Graham's OL must give the backs some holes and Matthews time to throw when needed. On paper Richlands looks to be about two touchdowns better than Graham, but games aren't played on paper. Graham's biggest advantage over the rest of the SWD is its athletes and if the game is close Graham's athletes will make the plays to win.

Richlands must come out and take control early. If they can get a good lead they'll be sitting nicely b/c this Graham team isn't built to come back from deficits. However, if the game remains close then Graham will gain confidence, the Richland players will start to think about having never beaten Graham, and the Graham athletes will make a play to win it.

In the end, my prediction is…Graham 21, Richlands 14. At least I hope Graham is able to win for a number of reasons including to give Bluefield a bonus point. wink.gif

I must say, that's a nice post. What happens on Friday night is the reason they play the game. This game may possibly decide the Southwest District this year, so there's no doubt both teams will be firin' on all cylinders. That mental factor comes into play, thinking about the fact that Richlands hasn't beaten Graham in a long time. I think Graham steps up, but it should be an exciting game, either way.

Richlands brings a BALANCED TEAM this year, Offense, Defense and Special TEAMS are each making plays happen and complimenting the other. Offensive weapons are Whaley, Ringstaff,Tatum, Hamilton, Keene, Wells, Jennings, and Stanton. Plus Harrison, Smith and McCracken.

Defense is being changed from play to play, Not like recent years. These Men come at you like its their last ballgame. They are Jesees Smith, Mo Lester, Jeremy Keene, Brandon Gayheart And Travis Payne upfront an personal. Our secondary includes hitters like Tatum, Ringstaff, Whaley Clayburne,Wells,Pruitt,Hamilton. Plus depth galore. Richlands has thusfar substituted throughout the game and you will rarely see a BLUE bending over for air in the third Quarter,

Saturday Night will be a good match up, Coach Carlock is no joke, He is one of my Favorite Coaches I have ever seen, But I just dont see him pulling this one out.

The Storm is Coming to Mitchell Stadium Saturday night.