Aaron Marcum highlight video

Lance

So I got some new video software today and I wanted to try it out...so I took some of Aaron Marcum's highlight video clips and tried to see what I could do with the software...put some text, tried to sync up some stuff, and overlayed a song over the entire thing...end result was pretty cool so I thought some of you guys on high speed might want to check it out.

*RIGHT CLICK AND "SAVE TARGET AS" to download this...it's 27 Meg so sorry to people on dial up unless you want to wait forever...if anyone on dial up wants a copy I can burn it to CD or something...just PM me.

This is MPEG1 format and it plays in Real or Windows Media Player...if it doesn't play or you get audio only after downloading you don't have the MPEG1 CODEC installed...it plays fine on 3 of my computers so it's not the file's fault...lol.

http://www.mindbinge.com/Marcum1/MarcumVideo.mpg

Enjoy!

Lance

I was just messing around with that...didn't even put much effort in to it...maybe an hour? I already had the clips from Aaron's highlight video that we made after last season which was sent out to college's.

I hope to be able to do 3 or 4 of these a year at some point for local players from different schools and try to help some kids get noticed or at least a shot at some sort of scholarship or something. I learned a lot about the whole process while working on Aaron's and have all of the contact info now for almsot all of the major schools.

The real test of how successfull this "project" was will be if Aaron signs with a D1-A or D1-AA school in Feb. which he already has a "verbal" offer to a D1-AA school, so I am sure he'll be going somewhere...he wants to play D1-A ball so that's the goal.

I think what a lot of people don't get is that after your JR year you have this whole camp/combine circuit that is geared towards rising SR's...if you wait until your SR year to try to do something, it's too late basically. I was able to get Garon involved in the UVA Nike camp this year, which was a good thing for him to be around. It's good for the kids to get exposure in a workout environment with some of these other 'top prospects' from around not just VA but the entire east coast...kids you normally wouldn't see working out together...it was very interesting to see Marcum, Gresham, and Simmons among others all working out with the LB's...where else you going to see that?

As for Garon, I have already started working on his highlight film and will wrap that up as soon as this season is over and try to get it out earlier than we did Aaron's tape/dvd. We didn't start working on Aaron's until Jan and it took about 2 - 3 months to get everything done and ready to send out...the feedback we got was amazing, most people said it was one of the best packages they had received. I hope to learn from that experience and make Garon's even better.

[ QUOTE ]

I hope to be able to do 3 or 4 of these a year at some point for local players from different schools and try to help some kids get noticed or at least a shot at some sort of scholarship or something. I learned a lot about the whole process while working on Aaron's and have all of the contact info now for almsot all of the major schools.

The real test of how successfull this "project" was will be if Aaron signs with a D1-A or D1-AA school in Feb. which he already has a "verbal" offer to a D1-AA school, so I am sure he'll be going somewhere...he wants to play D1-A ball so that's the goal.

As for Garon, I have already started working on his highlight film and will wrap that up as soon as this season is over and try to get it out earlier than we did Aaron's tape/dvd. We didn't start working on Aaron's until Jan and it took about 2 - 3 months to get everything done and ready to send out...the feedback we got was amazing, most people said it was one of the best packages they had received. I hope to learn from that experience and make Garon's even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I have a general dislike for both of the Marcum's. They come off as cocky and conceited, which may be good on the field to be confident in yourself, but off the field the same cannot be said.

Even though I may say that, I've played against both the Marcum's and know what they're capable of doing.

Personally, and Lance and Jimmy I hope you all read this, you should take the next two years of Aaron's life and enroll him in a Junior College program. If he doesn't want to spend 2 years there, enroll him at a military academy like Hargrave. Now before you ask questions about that, just remember that some big time players like Larry Fitzgerald and all world LB at UVA, Ahmad Brooks took the same path.

The reason I say this is because Aaron needs to concentrate more on working on his speed. I understand that he has hit the weights hard with Luke Owens, but honestly, he needs to keep at that, but not go at it so hard either. Putting on the extra muscle mass can/will decrease his speed which at his size and for his goal of being a D1 LB, he needs ALOT of speed.

He should consider the JUCO route without a doubt, it would be the best choice he could ever make if his goal is to play D1 football. Take that time to get a better understanding of the game, and he should get into a plyometrics program. Plyometrics if you aren't familiar with it has alot to do with increasing speed, muscle reflex, etc,. It's what alot of the big time recruits use to get their 40 times down, increasing foot speed, increasing their vertical, etc,.

If you want to take the time, read up on a prized recruit Ohio State got a couple of seasons ago. His name is Mike D'Andrea. He was from Ohio and used plyometrics as a source to get into freakish form. The article that really points this out is on http://www.maxemfingerrecruiting.com but you'll have to search around a little to find it there.

But IIRC, after D'Andrea's senior season he was around a 4.4 forty, with a 40 inch vertical and if I'm not mistaken, he also runs track for the Buckeyes. But mind you he's doing this on a 6'3 240+lbs. frame.

Garon should also think about getting into plyometrics to improve his overall speed.

And also, Lance, it isn't hard to get recruiting contacts in the world. The site I listed above ran by Max Emfinger gives quite a few ways to get recruits noticed by his camps and such. Also, Aaron should get his name listed on the registry there and if you visit the message board, Max may be able to run a story on Aaron and get his name out there some more before this season is over. But he'll probably need to do that ASAP where he is already into his senior season.

It would benefit Garon quite a bit more if he does it.

But recruiting contacts can also be made by just visiting the AD's websites around the net, because most all recruiting directors, coaches, where the coach recruiting at in the US and their phone numbers with e-mail addresses are listed.

It's very easy to do so and very easy to get replies judging by the manner you handle it.

Hopefully this will help Aaron and Garon in some way though.

And if Aaron doesn't get that D1 offer and that is what he really wants, you all should really push him to consider a Junior College school. It'd be of GREAT benefit to him to get him to his goal.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've known the Marcum boys for years and they've got a lot of heart and a passion for the game of football. And if Aaron gets a D-1 offer, which he has several schools looking at him, I'm thinking he won't turn that down for the JUCO route.

These boys practice and train hard. They watch game film repeatedly to see what they did wrong and what they can improve on. They are devoted to not only making themselves better players but the players around them better as well.

You have to have confidence in life, not just on the field. Their confidence might rub some people the wrong way and make them look "cocky," but so what. If a player is lacking confidence, he needs to stay on the bench. Johnny Unitas once said "There is a difference between conceit and confidence. Conceit is bragging about yourself. Confidence means you believe you can get the job done."

[ QUOTE ]

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've known the Marcum boys for years and they've got a lot of heart and a passion for the game of football. And if Aaron gets a D-1 offer, which he has several schools looking at him, I'm thinking he won't turn that down for the JUCO route.

These boys practice and train hard. They watch game film repeatedly to see what they did wrong and what they can improve on. They are devoted to not only making themselves better players but the players around them better as well.

You have to have confidence in life, not just on the field. Their confidence might rub some people the wrong way and make them look "cocky," but so what. If a player is lacking confidence, he needs to stay on the bench. Johnny Unitas once said "There is a difference between conceit and confidence. Conceit is bragging about yourself. Confidence means you believe you can get the job done."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what is 'conceit'? lol

But let me tell you a little info as in to myself. I've watched and analyzed film from D1 prospects over the last 4 to 5 years and it's become a hobby I must say.

In the last two years I've attended every Grundy home game, and I've watched Aaron play. Now when I compare the likes of people I've seen like Mike D'Andrea, Corey McKeon, Ahmad Brooks, Willie Williams, Kai Praham, Ernie Sims just to name a few from years past that really stick out in my mind from the LB spot. Those guys play with a fire and passion for the game, but they have the speed, knowledge and most of all instincts to go along with it.

The one thing I've gotten from it all is that Aaron and Garon want to play D1 football, and that's ultimately what I'm providing insight as to what would put them in D1 football, but at a much larger school than they might end up.

Sure it may be fun to say, "Hey I was on a D1 football team" one day. But when people ask them how they did? They're going to have to say, "Well, I didn't actually get to play."

Face it, this is Grundy. This is AA football in Virginia. Even in a low D1 school which is at best what Aaron will get at this point, the speed of the athletes around him will eat him ALIVE. That fire, heart and passion I will admit he plays with on the field will only get you so far, but you have to have the speed, knowledge and instincts to play along with some top flight talent.

Heck why do you thing you can only get a handful amount of players that EVER come from this area.

The fact is, Aaron is improving on his game, yes, but not in the right areas and is improving late and hoping to get something that he isn't likely going to get.

And yes, this is my opinion and I will stick by it wholeheartedly.

If Aaron was my son, I would push him till the bitter end to attend a JUCO school and improve upon things that people like Greg Rowe *insert rolling eyes* cannot do.

The JUCO schools will help him adapt somewhat to the speed of the game, while also giving him the type of training he will need to get into a GOOD D1 school.

And if he puts in the time like he has over the past couple of seasons working out and in the weight room, I have not one doubt he can go to a very good D1 school and play.

But the only thing you seem to think of is "now, now, now." Well that may not be in the best interest of him. Patience is a key in recruiting and especially getting anywhere, and Aaron needs to have that.

I'm sure he's slobbering at the bit to get into college and just play the game, hell, I know I was. But he needs to do whats in HIS best interest to ultimately get him to where HE wants to go, a good D1 school.

A lot of people think the Marcums are cocky...but they are not as bad as people might think...Garon is a very personal and quiet kinda guy...he's very somber..after the last game scoring 5 td's and having a great night, he came out and sat down for a few minutes, went home watched the film of the game...saw a couple of mistakes he made where he said "man i should have done this or that" and he went to bed...he is still evolving as far as a player goes...his best year is yet to come.

Aaron on the other hand, spent the summer working his ass off for football...actually he started right after the Graham game last year...he hasn't had anyone working on his speed with him before...that's why he went to NIKE camp to learn...we talked to the NE Patriots speed coach as well as others at the camp and went away with a program that did produce results...he has put on the muscle as s result of working out...his verticle is way up, times are down...we saw results. He knows what he wants and is going after it full speed.

As far as JR college goes, tha's not a bad idea at all...what you are saying makes a LOT of sense and you obviously know what you are talking about. However I think he will go to VMI if all else fails...they have already let it be known they want him in their program...but, with SMU, UCONN, Arkansas, Buffalo, Rice, Marshall, and Va Tech all looking at him I think he will have a chance to go to one of those schools, Aaron actually liked the facilities at SMU the best so far and the coaches have been very helpfull in making sure he understands the overall process.

Going in to this, none of us knew what we were doing, we made the highlight film, got online and found where to go to camps, we found the addresses to send the tapes to and all of that stuff...it was a learning process...no it's not hard, but none of us knew what we were doing so we had to learn...being from this area it is not easy to just be found by a major school. You have to get your name out...if they like what they see on film they will look at you.

We have had pro trainers and college coaches tell us he is a legit D1-A prospect and they told us what areas to work on...which he is doing even today. It's a lifestyle for him, not a dream.

TO sum things up...forget all the cocky stuff you hear or read...thats not who these kids are...they are both football players...team players...they give 110% on every play period...practice or gameday...it's all the same. They are the kind of kids that will go out and practice until it's dark then go hit the sled again for hours after everyone else is gone home for the day. It's not abnormal to call up Garon at 10pm on any given night and find him out "running the hill in the back yard"...or for Aaron to go hit the gym at 9 or 10 on a sat night. No one really knows what those two put into it other than maybe Jimmy and myself...I don't think the coaches even know the extent of how they work out.

Football is everything to those two kids...they have dreams to play at the next level...they make football a lifestyle...they are going after it full speed. I think they will both end up where they want to be.

I will check in to the other stuff you are talking about online and get with Aaron and Garon on it if it will help out...they are always looking for new workout ideas and anything that will help them get stronger and faster.

thanks man...

Anytime, Lance.

The main thing is PT. It's one thing to be on a good team, but if you're not on the field, it isn't going to do you much good. The change in speeds from practice to game is unbelievable as the levels go up. That's alot of the main reason why the JUCO route may be the best choice for Aaron to get into that so he would see the field immediately and help get adapted to the game.

Also, if you take a look at that website, Max Emfinger would almost assuredly look at the game tape and help get Aaron and Garon's name out there. Signing up for his registry is all he asks, which helps him keep his site running, but listing you're name there gives him the chance to get Aaron or Garon's name out to every big time school in the country.

I e-mailed Max back in the summer about helping to get a player I know who has D1 size, but has never played the game. Athletic as heck, and strong as a bull, just never played. Max was willing to run an article on his site and had never heard of the guy, because that's how much Max is willing to help.

Max was apart of The Insiders which has Aaron listed.

Also, if you want some more opinions on Garon and Aaron, I'd be happy to try and help get more opinions on him by people who make a living following recruiting and reviewing tapes. Just drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help at all, and I'll try and get you addresses or get you in touch with people who you could show copies of his tape to.

They could probably be more subjective on where Aaron and Garon's best opportunities are to get them to where they are wanting to go.

VMI may be great, but with only a 'verbal' offer, it isn't much. That is showing interest, but not much of interest either. VMI needs to put down a written offer to really show how much they want Aaron.

But just from some opinion, if Aaron wants to get more offers from some other programs, he needs to stop tippin' his hand so to speak. I've seen columns where he says he just wants to play, and it doesn't matter where. How do you think that makes certain colleges feel? It makes him seem as he would be an easy get. If they ultimately decide they want him, he won't get an offer up until Feburary. Make it seem as if those other universities are recruiting him hard, and want him, not that he just wants to play for anyone who will give him the time of day. That's the sign of a desperate man. And desperate men and usually the last to get served in the recruiting world.

Ask Ishie Odeugewu. And if you don't know who I mean, he's a 5 star safety for this 2004 class. He is offered by most schools around the country because he is a terror in the middle of the field. He just wanted to play too. He wanted to commit to play for LSU, but they said they were full at the safety position. He then wanted to commit to play at Kansas State, but they said the same as LSU. He then wanted to commit to Nebraska without even seeing the campus once, but Bill Callahan asked that he and his family see the campus before he did. That didn't set well with Ishie so he ultimately committed to Texas Tech who has one of the absolute WORST defenses in D1 football.

He said he was impressed with the type of effort they gave during his visit. They gave up 35 points to TCU. He was willing to go to anyone who'd have him, and him being a 5 star safety, he ended up at one of the worst possible places he could've.

cool...i had already sent you a pm anyway..lol...if you go to all of the grundy games then we need to get together and talk sometime.

you have alot of good points...and i have thought about the tipping of the hat thing myself...but like i said we are all still learning as we go.

anyway, lets get together and talk...have a couple of ideas i'd like you opinion on not concerning the marcums, but just in general about recruiting.