Thoughts on the Richlands, Graham game

pistol4

They probably would have gone for the field goal on 4th. Remember, the quick pass was intercepted at the one on 3rd down. That's why a shotgun set would have been better, more vision for the QB, when a mistake couldn't be afforded.

[ QUOTE ]

i as a player know that other teams do the same things at the bottom of piles, you just dont hear the richlands players complaining about it nearly as much/.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's done by both teams or not doesn't matter because it's DUMB! It can accomplish nothing but "dirty game" comments from opposing teams and fans. If you want to get in their heads do it with your play between the whistles.

As a fan I'm tired of reading about this stuff and defending you for it.

[ QUOTE ]

They probably would have gone for the field goal on 4th. Remember, the quick pass was intercepted at the one on 3rd down. That's why a shotgun set would have been better, more vision for the QB, when a mistake couldn't be afforded.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. I remembered that being fourth down for some reason. On 3rd and one I definitely would have called a qb sneak. But you know what they say about hindsight.

They were running the ball well..I would have taken my chances on the ground and went for the TD...if not then I would have just kicked the FG on 3rd or made sure Wells knew to throw the ball to a place only his receiver could catch it (fade to the back corner of the endzone?) and yes a shotgun would have been better also.

Seeing how Richlands has been playing all year I probably would have just gone for it...most of the fans in the stands didn't seem to like the passing calls either, I heard a lot of people yelling different things...lol. Richlands ran the ball all the way down the field and then tried to pass it...seemed to be pissing a lot of the fans off...lol.

I don't as much mind the call to go to the air down there as much as I minded the way they tried to do it...if you are not going to run and you know it, take the 5 yard delay of game penalty, get your QB's head straight, and take a shot at the endzone from the 6 then kick the FG. If you do pass from the 1 you can't throw the ball where they tried to throw it...was a bad play call in my opinion either way.

Good football chatter going here. The most crucial component of this Richlands goal line situation is that there were no time outs left, and therefore any running play on 3rd down would have been all or nothing. Time would have ran out if the run failed and there would not have been enough time to get a field goal unit on the field. Later in the game, after momentum had swung, run the ball, but given the 3-0 score I still say try the pass, kick the field goal, assure your offense. My play would have been to run from the shotgun, roll the quarterback out with an option to run or pass, and do neither if they were risky, just throw the ball out the back of the end zone.

Now Mr, GHS, I agree and even called that play from the stands, We have the 6'4" R. Stanton that was being defended by 5'11" defender, throw it to the corner, jump ball. but thats our opinion. Bottom line I love defense and I saw some great stands from both sides, I'm glad to get this win. Graham will win more games and so will Grundy. I just wished it was also a Saturday night game so we could come watch, Think of the added revenue that would bring.

Good luck to both teams.

I don't see why other teams are complaining about the ankle twisting.I'm not saying that they do it too but,other team do the same exact thing,its part of the game get over it and move on.I know from playing rugby there could be a whole lot worse done to a player. Now getting back to the game,was it me or was graham not ready for the Shotgun and our option attack out of it?

What if these people do or have played the sport though? What if Richlands is the only team who does the ankle twisting and stuff in the bottom of piles. Now i know that every team talks trash, and i think that that has become part of the game - in making yourself known. I'm a graham fan, and i think that we should finally drop the matter of dirty stuff in the piles...no reason to get hostile over something that is done with.

honestly its pretty sad if you need to play dirty to win...or feel good about yourself. grow up and learn to play with class. even if it means gettin beat with class. so have some dignity and stop condoning this behavior its childish. maybe a few richlands boys should watch a real team play. you guys could've learned a few things from the bluefield/martinsburg game. good teams with a good heart come in first, not decent teams that play dirty....

[ QUOTE ]

My son is a starter for Graham and I asked about " dirty play" and he stated that he was not aware of any, just a lot of trash talk-no big deal

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's pretty fair to say it's probably only one or two kids doing it and it is going on...that said, maybe it will stop now. I'm closing this off before it gets worse than it already is.