Who wins, Va. Tech or WVU?

Bluefield_Rules

What Region are you from  

1. 1. What Region are you from

I think VT stands a very solid chance at winning, but WVU will pull it out for one simple reason; offensive play calling. The WVU coaches aren’t afraid to spread it out on offense and get creative. On the other end, VT’s offensive coordinator, Bryan Stinespring, plays too conservative too much. I’ve never seen Stinespring call a complete game yet as VT’s offensive coordinator. He’ll have a couple of series here and there where the play calling will be outstanding and defense will be kept guessing. Then he’ll have a couple of series where the play calling is bland and the defense can read it like a book. Much like last year WVU's defensive coaches will get wise to what Stinespring is doing early and shut down a less than already explosive Tech offense.

If I’m Bud Foster I stack eight men in the box and make Rasheed Marshall beat you passing the football. Marshall is quite an enigma passing the football, one game he’ll make beautiful passes and then the next game he couldn’t hit the side of a barn. If Marshall beats you passing the football then so be it, but don’t let the running game of WVU beat you.

Unfortunately for VT, I believe WVU will wisely play the spread formation much of the game on Saturday. WVU will mix things up out of that spread formation, running everything from draws and options to screens and curl routes. The loss of Xavier Adibi will hurt VT more in than game then the previous four b/c of the fact WVU will run the spread offense. Adibi has incredible speed at his LB position and can get all over the field very quickly. He’s also very physical and wouldn’t get ran over by Kay Jay Harris. Vince Hall is much the same Adibi, only not as fast as, but he alone at LB cannot cover the entire field. On the other hand guys like Brandon Manning and Mikal Baaque just aren’t capable of getting it done at LB. Manning is as slow as molasses and consistently gets ran over by opposing teams. Baaque, while quick, gets ran over more than Manning. The NC State QB ran over and through Baaque last weekend as he was attempting to sack him on a key 3rd down play. So I know Kay Jay Harris will have no problem destroying those two if they attempt to tackle him solo.

WVU 17

VT 10

Unfortunately I think if you stack 8 in the box against that spread WVU will have a field day passing the football. Expect a nickle situation nearly the entire game.

As much success as WVU has had against VT the last two years they still only averaged 24 points. Maryland had something like five turnovers but WVU only managed 19 points.

Bud Foster's defense has been solid this year. This is a game they must prove the problems from of the past few years are in the past. If they can hold them to 24 points or less the Hokies will have a very good chance to win.

Stinespring is not a very good OC but I think Randall and the young receivers can do well against WVU. Mike Imoh will get the start at TB. Expect Tech to use a lot of spread to get him into open space where he can be deadly.

VT has been getting real close to blocking punts all year. If they can get one here it will help.

12:00 start times usually aren't good for getting people to their seats on time but Syracuse was a noon start last year and the crowd was a huge factor. The fans saw that as a revenge game and SU honestly never had a chance. There has been so much venom from WVU fans since last summer, that In expect this to be the most hostile environment they have ever played in.

Finally, WVU is NOT a top-10 team. They have that high ranking because they are a lock to win the depleted Big East. When was the last time you saw the #7 team in the nation as a 2 point underdog to an unranked 2-2 team? It's crazy but that's the line for this game.

We MUST protect this couch!!!

As much as this pains me to say, my Hokies might now win this one. WVU has a great running game and a top notch qb in Marshall. But then again Tech's defense ain't no slouch this year either even after losing adibi for the season.

WVU34

VT 20

I don't think that grundy will win this year against graham because of a couple of devistating injuries....1, Joseph Stephens who was an excellent quarterback...2, Steven Mosely an alright running back last game he played against richlands he had over 400 yards rushing...perty good for a 7th grader...well feel free to reply..

VT had many chances to blow that game wide open but didn't. The offense still has a lot of work to do. The defense won this game. They Look the best they have in at least 4 years.

From what I've been reading the WVU fans (who were seated in the south end zone) were throwing stuff at VT students on the field celebrating the win. This is precisely the reason they weren't invited to join the ACC or any other conference. AND THEY NEVER WILL BE!

I truly hope VT buys out next years game at Morgantown. Our fans should never again be subjected to the kind of abuse they have endured from the Mountaineer faithful.

I was at the game. Here's what i seen with my OWN eyes. After the game was over and the VT students rushed the field several of them started throwing bottles at the WV fans that were seated in the endzone. The WV fans returned the favor by throwing them back at the VT students. Both sides were wrong, however, just beacause bottle throwing or any other type of disorderly behavior takes place it is not ALWAYS the WV fans fault. In this case VT students were just as much to blame. I'm just tired of the WV fans always getting the bad rap. You would think they were the only college campus in the nation that had rowdy fans. Also, congrats to VT they played a one heck of a game and deserved to win.

I've not been to a VT home game in about 7-8 years, but I have been there 3-4 times and the VT fans are not saints themselves. Sitting with VT fans, rooting for VT, I've had soda pop thrown on me numerous times, not to mention any object people could get there hands on thrown. Sure, it hit a bunch of people around myself, but VT HAD (keyword, not been there in years) fans who didn't care who they hit. This sort of thing went on from start to finish.

I have been to at least 20 Virginia games and nothing of this sort ever happened around me up in Charlottesville (I even sat on the Florida State side way back in '95 when Tiki and Co. upset the #1 ranked 'Noles, giving them there first ACC loss, and these people were more pleasant than the VT fans I sat around).

I could understand this sort of treatment if I were rooting for the Away team, but geez!