watching the texas aaaaa high school game on espn2

buzzsawBeaver

and in my honest opinion, the best eastern va. teams could compete and even defeat these teams. These texas teams obviously have a lot of depth, and some exceptional athletes at skill positions overall, facilities better than a lot of smaller colleges.

In my opinion though, I also haven't seen a player the caliber of bradshaw on either team.

I watched a aaaa or maybe aaa georgia playoff game last season also, while exceptional teams, not the invincible caliber teams that you might expect to intimidate an out of state team mentally. But I honestly think pound for pound the best caliber of high school football is no different in a lot of states.

It is so hard to say, because it still comes down to 11 on 11! They do look like a small college (Southlake) in their execution. Neither team is huge though, just VERY quick! They execute on O like Evangel of Shreveport during Brock Berlin's junior year. Evangel had a lot better D though! A lot more size!

Actually watched it in person. I go to each of Southlake's games, home and away, and have for 3 years. Daughter attends the high school.

Great game to view in person tonight. Packed house under the lights.

I said the same thing about the two teams buzzsaw! I told someone this morning that I have seen high school teams in VA that could definitely play with either of these two schools.

The QB was good but the Renfro kid impressed me the most...always found a way to get the big play and with the flu to boot...

I agree with everyone else, the best teams in Virginia could compete with those two teams last night. However, I was thoroughly impressed with the facilities just from viewing the exterior of them. I really liked the scoreboard from the few times I was able to see it on TV. I’ve thought for years now that Mitchell Stadium could use a new scoreboard. Maybe we can get the “big wheels†in town such as “G†to pony-up the funds for one? wink.gif

I couldn't believe those facilities. 12,000 seat stadium, VIP boxes, video scoreboard, indoor practice facility, There are small colleges who wish they had as much.

According to the announcers, that high school is fed by 7 elementary, and 3 middle schools. They said a proposal to build a new high school was voted down because they didn't want to break up the football powerhouse.

High school football is big here but they take it to another level in Texas.

Well in hindsight I have to be honest, it was a case where I judged them based on the physical caliber I watched early, and as with football, as it can be I was more impressed with them the longer I watched.

I would still agree there are teams in va. that could compete with them on a common basis, but through 4 quarters these teams seemed better than I thought in some "big" aspect, 1 as legend mentioned, exectuition, and also fundamentals.

It was very obvious they learn the game of football and are coached very well from a very early age there, the emphasis they put on the game early was evident.

They talked about it with the coach from southlake when he was talking about using their o with the youth leagues and jr. high., and it's known that the best learning ages are often elementary ages.

Doesn't giles use the single wing with their county elementary schools? I know that in a lot of places in fl., they don't play contact football in youth leagues, but rather flag football, which builds a lot of speed and quickness into their movements and game.

Overall I was very impressed for a high school level game.

Southlake's reciever was something else. Their ability to go deep downfield so effectively changed the game.

I agree about the facilities as well, I posted about it on the other tri states message board, but my bro lives in denton, my nephew is only a few blockes from the school, which has only been around for around 5 or 6 years, and they should have another big school within a few years with the increase of population as the dallas and ft. worth areas expand and close in and merge.

Anyhow my bro said the city of dented just opned a 23 millions $ stadium for their city teams.

As for mitchell, I'd enjoy seeing field turf before anything else, with the use it gets getting it funded or a grant wouldn't seem out of the question.

Has anyone else noticed the dip in the southeast corner around the 15 or so yardline? Seems when they start to have such places, they quickly increase every year.

And I still say they should install blue turf for the bluefields.

So that's your local school alltexas, impressive. I liked their colors and mascot and logo also.

Were you able to buy tickets for much less than the going rate of 180$s for some of them? What team is their big rival?

I also wrote on the other message board that in my opinion, if they had good ratings, really even if they didn't, there will likely be an increase of high school sports, particularly high school football on tv. I wouldn't be surprised to see a high school sports channel with an emphasis on football and basketball within a few years. If someone had $s to invest and vision, high school sports promotions like so could be big.

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone else noticed the dip in the southeast corner around the 15 or so yardline? Seems when they start to have such places, they quickly increase every year.

And I still say they should install blue turf for the bluefields.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea... Ive been noticing that dip here lately too, Buzzsaw. That shouldnt be to hard to fix in the off-season. As for the blue turf... thats a great idea!