Showdown in Tazewell

JuiceDawg

Grundy vs. Tazewell

Race for Div. 3 lock and homefield at stake in the high anticipated battle. Its Parents night in Tazewell and spirits are high. Grundy is rolling on and will try to avoid a dawgs win but this is the game for Tazewell. Good Luck Dawgs!

grin.gif

i think grundy will run away with this game in the second half..from playin both teams, we broke tazewell in the second half and we just broke grundy all together cuz they made mental mistakes and werent very prepared. Grundy has some games under their belt and have gotten better as the season went on so i am thinkin it will be a good game but grundy will destroy them

Personally I hope Tazewell wins, no self respecting Graham fan WANTS to go to Grundy for anything, espeically a playoff game!

And we need to rectify that Tazewell thing from a couple of weeks ago, and the playoffs are the perfect place to avenge ourselves!!!

Guest old_school

I think this game could be closer than people think. If you look at the strengh of schedule ratings (http://www.vhslfootball.net/strength.html) Tazewell sits at number 36 and Grundy is at 88. Sometimes strong competition makes for a better team. Tazewell's schedule is the strongest of any SWD school. Who would have thought, at the beginning of the year that Tazewell even had a chance of making playoffs and here they are with the chance to be the number 1 seed. The Wyatt Riot era has begun.

Here is a very good article by Lloyd Combs on the game tomorrow night taken from the BDT.

Original link is HERE!

Playoff spots at stake as Grundy visits Tazewell

Posted: Wednesday, Oct 27, 2004 - 11:42:41 pm EDT

LLOYD COMBS

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

TAZEWELL, Va. - Something is on the line in virtually every game at this point of the season, as the race for playoff berths heats up in this next-to-last-week of the regular season.

In Virginia high school football, that means the race for ratings points, and Friday's Grundy-Tazewell contest is a perfect example.

Grundy (7-1) could lose and still earn the top spot in the Region IV, Division 3 playoff field. Meanwhile, even with a loss, Tazewell (5-3) would still have an excellent shot at making the post-season.

A win, however, would clinch the top seed and guarantee homefield advantage in the Region for Grundy. Tazewell could clinch a playoff berth and get within a precious few points of the Golden Wave with a victory.

"I don't think anybody wants to back into anything," Grundy coach Greg Rowe said. "We'd still be in the lead if we lost, but we'd rather not be in that situation."

Playoff position and second place in the Southwest District are what's on the line for both teams as they prepare for Friday's Golden Wave-Bulldogs clash. Once it comes down to blocking and tackling, however, it could be what's in the line is that counts.

This game matches a rapidly improving Tazewell defense against a high-scoring Grundy offense.

The Bulldogs bring a three-game winning streak into this critical Division 3 game and a defense that's allowed only one touchdown the last two weeks.

"Tazewell's been pretty consistent on defense," Rowe added. "They've kept games close and found a way to win in the fourth quarter. They have some experience, they have several four-year starters.

"But we have some four-year starters, too. Most of our guys know what to expect in games like this. We made a few mistakes last week. Hopefully, we'll be play a little better this week."

Grundy overcame a season-high 11 penalties in last week's 23-7 win over Carroll County.

Aaron Looney and Garon Marcum each ran for over 100 yards, while Colby Owens led the way defensively as Grundy won its fifth straight.

Tazewell closes out the regular season next week at Honaker. Grundy hosts Virginia High.

actually Lloyd does a pretty damn good job i think...I enjoy reading his articles anyway. As far as local sports go, he can pretty much tell you whatever you want to know.

I don't always agree with what he says, but it's an objective approach.

just my .02 cents.

[ QUOTE ]

actually Lloyd does a pretty damn good job i think...I enjoy reading his articles anyway. As far as local sports go, he can pretty much tell you whatever you want to know.

I don't always agree with what he says, but it's an objective approach.

just my .02 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect that. I tend to lump the guys from the BDT into a group and it's my bad. Lloyd is not so bad in this Richlands fan's opinion (be honest, Lance, does he tend to favor Grundy?) but...there is one guy I couldn't really dig and it has been a while since I've read him. I do remember he did cover Tazewell well and also writes on the op-ed page. Had grey/dark hair and mustache.

Another guy I really enjoyed (from Richlands) was Bucky Dent...I have no idea why he ran off. I guess the Courier offered him some cash. Lloyd was always the SWD coverage guy for area papers...I remember him being free-lance; he was in both the BDT and the Herald Courier when I was home.

Lloyd usually covers Grundy's games for the paper as far as football goes, but as far as him being biased, I don't think so...I've been pissed off about a couple of his articles over the years, last years Carroll County article in particular comes to mind...but he covers a lot of the area teams basketball and wrestling and even some hunting stuff in his colums for the Va Mountaineer...as well as some Pro sports...he does a good job. I don't think he is overly slanted towards Grundy other than that being his home team that he covers? He also covers Twin Valley and Council, esp. in basketball...and Hurley and some of the other local teams.

He's always been kind to me whenever I had a stat question or something along those lines...like i said, I don't always agree with what he says, so he can't be a total homer for Grundy grin.gif...lol......so...i dunno...that just my take on it.

It should be a good game. Wyatt has done a good job with Tazewell this year so we can't underestimate them. I think he might be a coach of the year candidate if T-Town makes the playoffs. I'm going to be making the trip in and I can't wait to watch it. Good luck Wave!

LMFAO...there are about 4 things in here that are dead wrong, but one thing in particular made me laugh...if you are a Wave fan, you will probably spot it and laugh to...I'm not going to say what it is, but just have a read and see what you think...lol.

Link is HERE!

Dogs hope to survive Wave surge

Posted: Thursday, Oct 28, 2004 - 11:29:46 pm EDT

By LARRY HYPES

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

TAZEWELL, Va. - Tazewell coach Bobby Wyatt had an early October plan - play well against three upcoming Region IV, Division 3 teams. When it works for Wyatt, he sticks with it. Now comes the biggest test against the top-ranked team in that entire group - Grundy - as THS hopes to win its fourth game in a row and final home contest of the regular season.

"One game at a time, that's all we can do," noted the Bulldog mentor as the high-flying Southwest District foe Golden Wave (7-1, 2-1) comes to T-Town Friday leading the parade of playoff hopefuls.

"We have not looked ahead to this game and we aren't looking past it. They are well-coached. Grundy is quick, strong, and leading our division. I don't have to say any more than that to let you know we have our hands full," Wyatt said.

Tazewell (5-3, 2-1) second in the regional ratings race, trails Grundy (21.1), as the Dogs total 18.1. Richlands (3-0) would clinch the district outright by beating Carroll County so the Wave and Bulldogs may be playing for second place.

Grundy, a perennial playoff powerhouse, hammered Tazewell 41-14 last season and the Golden Wave is fresh off a 23-7 victory over Carroll County. Greg Rowe's Golden Wave relies on the brothers Marcum - Garon and Aaron - with Aaron Looney another key cog in the running game. That terrific trio, combined with solid passer Theo Justus and sure-handed Stephan Baker, make versatile GHS a headache for any defense.

"Grundy is awful hard to predict offensively," agreed Wyatt. "Sometimes Coach Rowe will throw a different formation at you on every down. They have so many weapons a defense has to be on its toes with each snap of the ball."

The Wave rolled up more than 500 yards offensively against hapless Abingdon two weeks ago as Looney and Garon Marcum each had more than 100 yards rushing. In the Carroll game, both Marcums broke the 100-yard barrier.

Grundy's defense is rock-ribbed, relying on hard-hitting Colby Owens up front with Looney and Bronson Brown, among others, making big plays. Carroll got only 139 yards in total offense, while Grundy's relentless offense overcame nearly 100 yards in penalties to win going away. Kicker Tigh Compton is a reliable point producer for the Wave.

Tazewell yielded a touchdown pass in the closing seconds of a sluggish first half at Marion, but defeated the Scarlet Hurricane 28-7. J.R. Wilson gained 118 yards, scored twice, and had an interception for THS. Zack Tester also had two picks for the Bulldogs and cornerback Steve Mitchem played well. Veteran lineman Jake Evans, seeking to start his 39th game, continues to anchor the offensive line for the Bulldogs after a solid effort again at Marion. Jeremy Jones is the consistent Dog place kicker.

The Bulldogs are relying on several new starters including a host of underclassmen including David Saunders, Scott and Tim Weitzel, Eric McDaniel, and Drew Walker, among others.

Both the offensive and defensive lines are improving while the linebacking corps paced by Mark Muncey and Matt Cleaver solidifies the defense.

Kickoff is at 7:30 with coverage on 107.7FM.

I think Lloyd is A#1... The Bristol News and some others need to take note! I like his radio coverage of the football games also, he always calls play by play where you can hear and understand him. In other words he's not screaming on every big play!!

Oh, how bout them Hokies last nite!! cool.gif