Tazewell in the Playoffs

JuiceDawg

Its been a long time comin and who would have predicted a year of the dawgs. They have had the talent but never could get over the hump. Coach Wyatt may have just done it enough to give them a shot at going out on top. What is some of you alls thoughts on their season? wink.gif

Wyatt has my vote for Coach of the Year. He sure has turned that team around. I would say the game that we had against you guys was the most physical game all year. I look forward to seeing this matchup again in the playoffs.

[ QUOTE ]

Wyatt has my vote for Coach of the Year. He sure has turned that team around. I would say the game that we had against you guys was the most physical game all year. I look forward to seeing this matchup again in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any game with the Richlands defense could be nominated as the most physical game of the year. Because the Blues opponents feel like someone just hit THEM with a two-by-four.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any game with the Richlands defense could be nominated as the most physical game of the year. Because the Blues opponents feel like someone just hit THEM with a two-by-four.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your confidence is admirable. I'd love to have another shot at you guys but unfortunately, this war of words will be waged until next year's meeting. Granted, your D is good but for your sake, I'd hope the team is prepared to back up that kind of talk in the playoffs.

Anyhow, oh yeah, before this thread was hijacked off on a tangent, we were talking about Tazewell's season. Aside from the physical game comment, my main point was that Coach Wyatt has sure turned around the Bulldogs. Going from a 1-9 season to a 6-4 season with a playoff berth is COTY material in my book.

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands has nothing on the Tazewell or Grundy defense... the Richlands defense might as well fight with pillows becuz that is what it sounds like all night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, maybe it would have been better to make that statement before the Richlands defense shut them both down.

Hey 1bulldawg, well Richlands outscored there SWD opponents 111-29 not to bad for a pillow fighting defense. Tazewell couldn't even score on our soft defense. You can say what you want but we are 9-1 and your 6-4 maybe you could use some of our defensive strategy in Tazewell. Our 2nd and 3rd string defense played a lot of the 4th quarter and the Tazewell 1st string stayed in the entire game but you still couldn't score.

[ QUOTE ]

These guys should make the playoffs. There all old as hell. How many hold backs do they have on the team?

[/ QUOTE ]

VHSL sets the rules for age...it's the same for every team. I know a lot of the programs don't even like the whole "holdback" process...and for some of the kids, they need to for educational purposes anyway...esp. in math...for whatever thats worth.

Holdbacks are high schools version of the "red-shirt" in college. You get the kid to repeat 8th grade since its a somewhat "worthless" year when it comes to graduation, but also happens to coincide with the best age to start kids on weight-lifting. This way, you get 4 potential years to use the kid instead of 3 (I bet the number of true Freshmen who played high school ball is much smaller than the number of holdback Freshmen who have played.)

How many schools in this area take advantage of this? I know Grundy and Honaker do for definite.

just think Tazewell had trouble with Honaker's little Jv team last Friday. Or didn't they realize that 11 of Honaker's starters were suspended for that game. If Tazewell barley stopped a JV team they sure can't handle a team like Richlands or Grundy.

This is one of those grey areas...like i said a lot of times there are other reasons for kids holding back.

i wish i had held back a couple of years...I was only 16 my SR year, started school a year early and skipped kindergarden on top of that...I can't imagine playing two years later...lol.

I know for a fact that the Grundy coaches (in football) don't encourage this though just from different conversations...I asked one about a kid this year that wasn't playing and someone else standing there said he was holding back and the coach (not saying which one) was not to happy about it...but, from what the other person said...the kid is having a hard time with math...so...there was more consideration other than sports that went in to him holding back a year.

point is, you make it sound like they are working the system....and I know for sure that's not the situation...at least at Grundy.

If a kids parent wants to hold him back a year for whatever reason, not much you can do about it...but I know the coachs don't say "hey - lets get this kid to hold back a year and he'll be a 4 year starter"...thats just not true...so don't imply it.

Just a side note, every team has these kids...not just a select few...I know there are a few at Richlands every year...long as they are within the age guidelines who cares?