James Monroe vs. Weir could be a surprise

MavsRock

It's intersting to note that most of the rankings I've seen have Weir picked as a 10 point favorite. I find that intersting for a few reasons, not the least of which is that Weir's having to make over a 300 mile trip with a bunch of teenagers. That's not a big deal if your at the next level, but I think that trip makes home field at least a 5-10 point advantage.

It just seems to me that these predictions are based on 2 things:

1. James Monroe's performance the past 2 weeks, and

2. Weir close game at Bluefield LAST YEAR!

While James Monroe was the only team to have a game within 20 points in round one, it was a remath against a Liberty team who also help a very powerfull Shady Spring team to 14 points in the season.

The biggest thing I think James Monroe has going for them is that I've heard a lot of people saying that Weir's looking forward to coming to Bluefield. I can say fairly certainly that if Weir hasn't adequately prepared for James Monroe, and is simply looking ahead, they'll never want to come south of Charleston again, as the game could be over at halftime. Don't think that can happen? Ask Shady Spring about week 2. I'm not saying this will happen, but don't be shocked if James Monroe not only wins Saturday, but wins big.

[ QUOTE ]

don't be shocked if James Monroe not only wins Saturday, but wins big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shocked??? I will be flabbergasted if JM stays within three touchdowns of them. Did you watch the pass defense or lack of same against Bluefield?????? What makes you think they can stop Weir?

BTW they are riding on a bus to Lindside not walking, this is the playoffs they will be focus, rested and ready to play.

Quite simply put, if James Monroe would manage to "win big" on Saturday then Weir wasn't as good as the talk has been. James Monroe could win, but I find it extremely unlikely they would or could "win big." Although, a win in itself on Saturday, even if by a single point, could be considered winning big for James Monroe. I also get the feeling that Weir might be already looking ahead to a possible match up with Bluefield and looking ahead isn't wise for anyone in the playoffs. I'd love to see the game, you JM people should get it moved to Saturday night... wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I've already said that a one point win ine all of the 4 playoff games for James Monroe would make me more than happy. Whether you win by 1 point or 51 points, it makes no difference this time of year.

I read a lot about how JM couldn't defend the pass. How many high school teams can defend the pass. A good passing team can throw on any team. There's not a team in the playoffs that can defend against a good passing team....

I wouldn't be too happy. In case you haven't paid attention, Bluefield has to try to stop Weir next week, and they didn't do a real good job of that last time they played. They also put more points on James Monroe in one half than Bluefield scored the entire game! The big thing Bluefield has going for them is that James Monroe's one-dimensional offense didn't seem to be much of a challenge for Weir, I suspect the Beaver offense will quite a different story.

What happened in Lindside yesterday has absolutely nothing to do what will happen in Bluefield next weekend. James Monroe isn't of Bluefield's caliber on either side of the ball. I thought we've established the fact over and over again that you cannot compare scores b/c teams match up differently.

I'd still like to hear a good summary of what Weir has from some JM fans who went to the game.

[ QUOTE ]

In case you haven't paid attention, Bluefield has to try to stop Weir next week, and they didn't do a real good job of that last time they played. They also put more points on James Monroe in one half than Bluefield scored the entire game!

[/ QUOTE ]

Like some have said above, comparing the number of points scored by each team is like comparing apples and oranges. I know for a fact that Bluefield could have easily ran the score up against JM, but our program has alot more class and respect than that. As for us not doing 'a real good job' against Weir last year, Bluefield came out with what mattered most and that was the W. Weir can score 50 or 60 points next week, it doesn't matter to me, just as long as Bluefield wins.

Weir likes to pound the middle with their 6'3 230 pound tailback. He looks and runs just like Ricky Cook from Giles. The have a little speed with the other back too. It didnt look to me like thed had any blazing speed. Their line is big and blocks well. Their QB is very good, and they have quite a few good recievers. They dont have much depth, but they dont seem to need much. Bluefield better play their best game of they season. If they do that, they should win.