The Year In A Nutshell - JI Burton 53, Hurley 6

djr4hurleyfb

First and foremost, I'd like to congratulate the Hurley Rebels on their 2004 season. The potential was there for better, but it was a pleasure to follow these kids all year long. They played some great games, and this Senior class will be missed next year. I was glad to see them make the playoffs, and it was sad to see them overmatched against Burton. Can't wait until next year.

Speaking of next year, some schedule changes to be noted. East Ridge dropped Hurley, and Hurley dropped Betsy Layne. Added in there places are Ieager and Castlewood. I have heard Ervington wants to drop us as well (why, the games are always well-contested and Ervington has won most of them until this year). I'd like to keep the Unaka game, but doubt it stays due to the near 4 hour trip. I figure Montcalm and Big Creek stay on the schedule, don't see us dropping them (nor a reason for them to drop us). Going back to Tug Valley doesn't entice me much, bound to be an equal opponent to find with better roads to and from. Hope the BDD games get moved around better. I think playing Haysi and/or Honaker early in the year would better prepare Hurley than having to face them both, back to back, at the years end. Keep Twin Valley as the closer.

Second of all, the playoff system in Virginia needs to be fixed (I know, nothing nobody else has said). As much as I wanted these boys to have the playoff experience, they literally had no shot against Burton where as teams like Haysi and Clintwood sat at home and they both could have played Burton tough. It does Hurley no good to get beat like this and it did Burton no favors as they prepare for a state title run (best of luck to them; I rout for all the region's teams to bring a state title back).

As for yesterday's game, it only took Burton one play to sum up Hurley's year and end the game. Jordan Thacker by all accounts should have been stopped for a 3 yard loss, but the Hurley defender missed his tackle as the rest of the defense pursued to the other side of the field. 61 yards later, Rebels are down by 7. The game would remain close for the rest of the first quarter and somewhat into the second, but once Burton got rolling, Hurley was outmatched.

Defensively, one has to give more credit to Hurley playing bad than Burton playing good. Hurley squandered most of Burton's touchdowns on missed tackles, many times for negative yards that turned positive. Most of Burton's big passes came on pitch-n-catch type throws where the WRs and WBs just outran Hurley's secondary and the QB put the ball where only his man could get it. Hurley probably needed a Cover 2 defense to stop Burton's passing, but couldn't allow for the extra Safety since stopping Burton's running was just as tough.

Offensively, Hurley never could get into a rhythm. Many first down runs were called back on holding and block in the back calls at points in the game where the kids should have just been allowed to play ball (these calls never happened until Hurley got near midfield). Again today, the lack of any real passing game was brutal to watch (Burton would cheat there CBs up to the LOS, leaving our WRs wide open with maybe a Safety within 15 yards; why our kids don't have the power to read this, make the audible, and just throw it out there baffles me). You have to be able to throw the ball in some consistent fashion. Gimmick formations and trick plays does not equal a passing game.

In the end, I will tell you what the problem is. Its the entire school at Hurley. The principal goes to the games just to see if he can punish one of the kids for "doing something wrong" (they all got threatened and told they'd be dealt with Monday for getting excited and talking trash with Burton, doing nothing that Burton's players didn't do; and people wonder why those kids look lethargic out there sometimes). Cheerleaders had the option to come to the game if they wanted, no pep rally for the boys, and no support from the school or community.

Nothing tops this:

Hurley's enrollment is higher than Burton's, yet Burton has 20 more football players AND a band consisting of 30-40 students. Hurley has no band.

Some major changes need to be made.

Please.

I couldnt agree more dude, the way they run the school system is a JOKE!, theres no reason to win at hurley high school, cuz i mean no pride what so ever, we need alot of changes, alot of coaching changes *Try our damnest to get mark hackney back*...lol...cant wait to see some of these guys that i know and played a lil ball with as seniors next year! work hard rebs and get better and if u have to face Burton next year Be Ready boys!....Good luck in the off season! Now i wanna see The Tornado's take this [censored] to the house and win it all!

First of all, Clintwood and Haysi are division 2 teams. If you want to replace Hurley in the playoffs it would be with Appalachia or Pound, either of which could beat Hurley or Twin Valley. Second, maybe the principal spoke of discipline to the Hurley players because he knew they were taunting the Burton players by using racial slurs. When confronted with it going into the locker room at halftime, Hurley's coach tells one of burtons coaches "that's just high school football". It seemed as if the coach or principal took care of it because the second half was a much cleaner ball game with the exception of #20...this guy is just a redneck that gives everyone else from Hurley a bad name. Good luck to Hurley in recruiting more players for next year.

My point about Hurley "being replaced" had more to do with the playoff system being changed more overall, instead of keeping the Div. 1 and Div. 2. Sure, Appy and Pound could have beaten Hurley, but I feel that Clintwood and Haysi would be much better suited going into the playoffs than either one of them this season.

You don't have to speak about #20 - his attitude has always been an issue. I knew nothing of the racial slurs, my apologies to any who heard it. However, that still doesn't justify someone from the Burton side yelling "You might as well get up; you still got a long walk home!" when #51 from Hurley was down on the field.

On to my mentioning of the principal, his problem seems to be he wants the football program shut down. He does not want to pay for the boys to eat, he didn't want to buy them new cleats at the beginning of the year (Hurley had been using the same cleats for some like 7 to 9 years for practice and games), the boys didn't have hot water in the showers (I don't think they do yet either), he doesn't want to purchase them any gatorate...the list goes on and on.

Its quite frustrating. We only lose three seniors off this team (#60, #21, and #6), yet we'll be lucky to field 14 kids next year if things continue at this rate. Here's hoping to change. Best of luck to you guys again.

I am going to have to disagree with some of your comments.

The attitude of #20 is NOT a problem. Yes it was a problem at the beginning of the year but it has changed and near the end of the season he became a leader on Defense. Other players on the other hand still need an attitude change if Hurley ever wants to be successful. They need to understand that when a coach criticizes them it is not to hurt their feelings, make them want to quit, or put them down, it is an attempt to make them play to their potential. Hurley has the talent with their 12-15 players however they do not know how to use that talent on the field. Talent wont get you anywhere, TEAM efforts will. Hurley's losing record was the cause of TWO things, attitude and discipline. When I say attitude and discipline, I mean doing the right things on and off the field, in the classroom, at home, on weekends, doing what's right when the coach isn't watching, etc... They have no trust or belief in the coaches or themselves. If they have no trust they have no TEAM. Hurley has the tools to be a contender every year but coaches cant coach heart and desire. Coaches have a hard enough time coaching discipline for fear of players quitting, which Hurley had alot of this year. Players do not understand, if you quit doing something you 'supposed' to love who's to say you wont quit everything you attempt to do when you get out in the real world. What would those players who quit do when they go to work and their boss pisses them off, will they quit or stick it out and earn a pay check? I can answer that for a few players now for it has shown on the field. I do not feel the principal at Hurley is the problem. Some of the information you posted is primarily the opinion of one person. Hurley has the kids in their school to be BDD champions but they have to learn not to take what coaches say on the field personal. What is said on the field stays on the field. When players walk on the field they need to forget about everything else that has happened during the day and practice every play like it is their last. Personally if Hurley had a coaches award, I would give that award to #20. His attitude changed so much and you would not see that unless you were around him everyday. If Hurley doesn't get more players out next year then the entire team better play that season like Seniors because the following season will be non-existent.

I just want to say a few words about the football player wanna-be that thinks he knows everything about Hurley football, You have no clue what u are talking about when u say the principal and other people do not want the football team to survive at Hurley. You need to get your facts straight when your posts stuff like that. I know for a fact that there have been cleats bought just about every year and anything the coaches have asked for it has been taken care of. The principal at hurely was one of the people responsible for getting Hurley on the football map. Just because u sit in the stands and every now and then the coach let u roam the sidelines keepig stats does not make u a football expert. There are many things that would solve the problems at hurley regarding the football program. The kids need to be more dedicated to the summer program other than going to Myrtle beach or off to somewhere else during the beggining of football practice. Another thing is that the coach they have need to go becise he is not dedicated to the program himself. These are the 2 major reasons why the rebels are not winning. So u need to wake up and get a clue and quit wishing u could go out on the field and play.

People can say all they want about the things that are wrong with The Hurley football program. But its definately not the head caoch. I know a lot of people want to see him gone. He knows more football than anyone up there. Not only does he know football. He is a man of good morals and values. He implements these things in his program. He not only coaches the kids but helps them to be better people in life. Maybe he could be a little more dedicated but everyone else could also, starting with the players. Kids taday are different than they were 5 or 10 years ago. They dont have the dedication or the desire that old hurley teams used to have. The last four years that Hurley has been to the playoffs was 1991, 1992, 1996, 2004 and he was part of all thes teams. He was Defensive Coordinator in 91 and 92 and head coach in 1996 and 2004 but nobody was saying anything about a coach when they were winning in 91,92 and 96. Now people need someone to blame so lets blame it on the head coach. So who we need to bring in "let me guess MARK HACKNEY" The coach of the early 90's i guess. With the talent he had it wouldnt be hard to win. Should have went further that what the did. Hurley's best attribute was its defense. Thats why Hurley was dominant back in early 90's because they didnt have and explosive offense. "Let me check i beleive their defensive coordinator was the same guy that is Hurleys head coach today. Its the same guy just a different group of kids. What do you expect to do with 14 players. I think making the playoffs was a big step when no one expected them to win more than one game. The problem is you cant criticize a kid like you said without them running home to mommy and daddy and quitting. Its football its different that any other sport. You cant be soft on them or worry about pleasing their parents. THE BEST PEOPLE ARE GONIG TO BE ON THE FIELD. Out of those 15 players theirs about 6 that were real dedicated. PARENTS DONT NEED TO BE AT PRACTIC TRYING TO COCH THEIR SON. THATS WHAT THE COACHES ARE FOR. So yeah there needs to be some changes but its not the head coach.

The primary concern for this off season and into the summer is getting more than 15 kids out. With 3 Seniors graduating, and only 3 or 4 8th graders coming up that played JV, the numbers as stands look about the same. I don't mean getting kids out "when ya have to" as in August, a week into two-a-days or more, because every kid who came out then quit. I am talking about kids getting into the weight room this winter/spring and doing the summer program. I don't care how it gets down, be it a coaching change or the current coaches recruiting every single boy from grades 8 to 11.

Regardless, whatever it takes to get more kids out should be done. This has never been an issue about winning or losing. I'd just like to know Hurley has enough kids to scrimmage in practice every week and be capable of doing tackling drills without fear of injury, leading to the team being underhanded. The numbers alone would improve the team tenfold.

So be it...

I would have to agree with the numbers situation. The only time Hurley was able to have game situations thrown at them was the game. When players have to go on 'air' 90% of practice then it is very difficult to have them perform the way coaches need them to during the game. If everyone stuck with the program that came out numbers would not have been an issue. Like I said in my earlier posts, if you quit doing something you love, then what's going to stop you from quitting everything else you do?

Yes I agree the Head Coach does know more football than anyone else up there but if he doesn't coach it what good does it do? I agree, FAMILY and the LORD first but he is getting paid to do a job.

Many things to point out.

1.) Don't praise the coaching job done this year. The schedule that Hurley had was a joke. It was done for the hopes of just getting to regionals with no aspirations of winning a single game. It was soft, plain and simple, it was soft.

2.) Don't even compare Mark Hackney to Wayne Hall. I can speak for most when I say Wayne has no way to relate to the kids and get across to them. I won't deny his knowledge of the game, but he has zero knowledge of forming a coach-player relationship to have that trust of he knows what he is doing.

Some of Hurley's top athletes from little league up wouldn't play for him. What I mean is they would strap on the helmet, but they gave half-hearted efforts at best because he has no motivation factor.

Mark implented that drill sergeant factor and took no BS. He would bust your arse from dawn 'till dusk and he took no lip, took no half hearted effort, and took no senseless BS on or off the field. Mark himself made decisions I know he regrets until this day, but he wouldn't let his players make those same mistakes albeit differently.

Mark could take his worst player from the days he had them as coach, and he could drive them to play with more heart and passion than any player Hurley fielded this year.

3.) You want to bring up the player factor that Hackney had, but you don't want to bring up the player factor Hall had in '96? Wayne fielded one of the better football players to come from this region, and arguably the best football player to come from Hurley, Greg Justus withstanding. Greg mauled everyone and single handedly dominated people because he was that much stronger, and that much faster than anyone who lined up across from him. Heck, the boy went to the U on a scholarship, and how many people around here can say that?

Then I can roll off names like Chris Baker, Roger Hurley, Anthony Justus, Trey Adkins, Michael Stacy, etc., but you get the idea of the talent level he had.

4.) Players rebelled against Hall. Whether some want to remember this or not, but it wasn't Wayne's record that got him fired the first time around. It was moreso his players actions after a certain football game that handcuffed the school board into firing him. Why they decided to give him a second chance, who knows? Politics plays alot into what goes on in this county, and that was the sole reason Mark Cooper was hired to coach Hurley, and it was probably the sole reason Wayne Hall was hired back.

5.) Their is a certain fine line between constructive criticism and just being overly obnoxious. Most of the criticsim that the coaches at Hurley make crosses that line. It's one thing to tell a player he needs to work on say foot speed, but another to say you're slower than a mother f'n turtle on it's back, get going. You see what I'm saying? It all goes back to that trust factor and believing in what the coach preaches to you. If you don't develop that trust and belief, the players won't believe in you and you will get lackluster efforts.

Don't get me wrong, Wayne is a wonderful person and such a giving man for what he has to deal with. But he is no coach. While he was once a great athlete from his days at Garden and even from his days at Emory he learned the game very well. But just because you have knowledge of the game doesn't mean you can teach it well to someone else.

In any case, I will give Hurley it's props because it did defeat teams with in most cases 13-14 players because it's something not many teams can say, no matter who the opponent is.

I would like to respond to your comment #5. "Their is a certain fine line between constructive criticism and just being overly obnoxious. Most of the criticsim that the coaches at Hurley make crosses that line" I dont know what practices you have been attending but you need to get your facts straight before you post ignorance. Hurley coaches have strived to push the players to their full potential and not once did they get out of line with their 'constructive criticism'. You must be getting all your information from the 15 kids who quit this year. I dont care what kind of BS information they feed you but the only reason they quit is because they were a afraid of a little work. Coaches tried babying a few of them and they quit, coaches tried pretty much guaranteeing a starting job to a couple players and they still quit. So with that said I would guarantee those same people will either be on the check before their 25 or pumping gas or flipping burgers somewhere. Why do I say that? Because quitters NEVER accomplish anything. Most of the time if anyone was out of line during practice it was the players being disrespectfull to the coaches but you wouldn't see that would you?

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I agree with REBS. He is right and DJR is right also about the number situation, but if everyone didnt quit this year we would have had about 30 kids playing. i just wished they would have stayed and not quit. we need more dedicated kids.

I know you cant compare Hackney to Hall. Hall is a better coach than hackney. Just ask some oldschool players that played for them. Hall's biggest thing was his motivation before games. He got the boys ready to play. He has changed a little from then because he has joined church. Let me give you a little advice good players make good coaches. Back when Hurley was winning in the 90's they had kids with winning attitudes. im not saying none of Hurleys kids dont because the 15 that was still standing do have winning attitudes. Ask any player that played under wayne hall's defense back in the 90's how he was as a coach. If he does anything he better check his assistat coaches. As a head coach Wayne Hall made it further in the postseason than mark hackney ever made it. Hurley also had a hell of a coach in ledford gibson that was on that squad, but again he was another coach that got the bad end of the stick due to politics. Mark hackney made it to the first round playoffs 2 years in a row and had taloet to easily advance to the sate but was out coached both times. Down 15 to 8 and you got the ball on the 5 yard line and throw a halfback pass and it gets intercepted and you lose 15-8. Now thats great coaching. Just because hurley dont have the numbers to compete like they did in the 90's you want to blame Wayne Hall. No body was wanting to fire him in 96 was they. Didnt think so? The only fault he let the assistants have to much control when he could do a better job.

"Good players make good coaches", I will have to disagree with you on that 100%. Good players do not make good coaches. Now dont get me wrong, there are some exceptions, but if you look at the history of great coaches, high school and college, then you will probably find most great coaches never amounted to anything during their playing years. Now I dont know the exact facts behind that, it's just an observation so if you feel the need to look up some ignorant stat then go ahead. It is obvious you are a Wayne Hall supporter otherwise you would take a step back and anaylze a few things before you post. You stated, "If he does anything he better check his assistant coaches" and "The only fault he let the assistants have to much control when he could do a better job". I have to take up for the assistants on this one. The assistants put 100% more time in to the team than the head coach. The assistants broke the game film down every week not the Head Coach. The assistants never left a practice to go to a volleyball game. The assistants attempted to teach the boys discipline and hard work, whereas the head coach didn't even want to practice most of the time and he also let the players disrespect him whenever they felt the need. I'm not even sure if the head coach watched a film this year. About giving the assistants to much control, if the assistants didn't take the initiative to coach the boys, offensively and defensively, then the boys would have been playing tag football everyday and watching the head coach mow the grass and mark the field. Hell they probably wouldn't even have had practice, they would have been ball boys for the volleyball team because that is where the head coach was most of the time. Again, you see what you want to see so my post doesn't mean anything to you... See you in the stands next year, if you even attend Hurley football games.

I agree with you on your point about the assistants having to watch the film and all that stuff and the assistants basically doing everything. I just meant he should have more control than what he does. i guess that may be his own fault. I think the team would be better if he would take more authority. My case is I dont know why he lets the assistants control that much. I wasnt saying the asistants were doing a bad job. I just said i think he could do a better job. He is a defensive guy but i dont think the defense was a problem this year. When he says something i think his assistants need to listen instead of going against his authority. My point is he is a great coach when he wants to be. He just nees to take more authority like he used to do. Your head man is the leader and you have to do what hes says whether you lik it or not. I think he should be a man and step up and take control of the team. What i heard was the coaching staff did not get along and you cant have a winning team like that. I klnow most of the assistants did not get along with wayne with an exception of one or two. I think they would go against his authority jsut because they didnt respect him. Your right he does need to step up and take control and put his assistants in line also. Thats his choice! He has the ability

If I'm not mistaken, the one area Coach Hall had full control (meaning he delegated no power) was over special teams. The guy may have been defensive minded in the 1990's but let me tell you, the special teams play left a lot to be desired.

For example, Hurley RARELY fielded punts. On nearly every punt return, the boys would be told to "get away from it". With a kid like Shane Justice on your team (a couple others could fill in here too), you field every punt you can. With his combination of speed and moves, he's bound to pick up yards (God forbid, score a touchdown).

Worse than that, for a team that wasn't trying to set up a return, at no time was the line of scrimmage overloaded to one side or the other to attempt and block a punt.

How about Kickoff Return you say? Hurley only used 4 men on the front line, which left a big space in the middle of the field. Teams onsided us in that spot at least 2-3 times this year, but no adjustment was ever made.

Kickoff Coverage and Punt Team were pretty good, primarily due to the people kicking the ball. Biggest problem here was the punt team, outside of the gunners, never quit there blocking duties quick enough to get down field and make tackles.

Biggest waste of time: practicing extra points and/or field goals, but never attempting one in a game unless Hurley had the game in hand.

I believe in going for 1 if you got a kid who can kick it, but if your not going to kick them in games, WHY EVEN PRACTICE THEM? Keep in mind, this is not an issue of whether Hurley had or did not have a kid who could kick XPs. It is an issue of practicing something that doesn't see the field on game night outside of playing Montcalm.

Just some observations...

Hey man you took me wrong there buddy. I didnt mean a guy that was a good player makes a good coach. I meant your players make your coach look good by the statement"Good players make good coaches" meaning if you have talent it makes the coach look good. As I said "Good coaches dont make good players, Good players make good coaches" That is in most cases anyway. Look at phil robbins at powell valley he goes to state every year. he couldnt do that if he didnt have talent.

Well Hey "Thatdude" why do you want to praise hurley for making the playoffs after you just stated we had the easies schedule in the state.Who do you want us to play with 13 players. I felt Hurley played teams on their level. They still won 4 games with 13 or 14 pplayers. Plese tell me who hurley should play. Yeah we do play and easy schedule but do you realize we are that easy team also. Dont contradict yourself

Oh, quite a few replies. Goodie, I'll have a good time with this one.

Rebs: Trust me bro, I've been there, dealt with Wayne and have seen how he has handled things from when he coached 8th grade ball, to the JV/Varsity baseball teams, and the football teams. I've seen how he handles players and how he tries to 'motivate' them.

But I like how you go on to contradict yourself and talk about how the coaches babyfied players just to keep them on board. Nice touch.

If first-hand information makes me 'ignorant' then sobeit, I must be at the head of the class.

rebelman44: Good players make good coaches? What the blue f'n heck are you smokin'? Do you want me to go back over the course of history and show you teams loaded with talent who have accomplished jack? You can load your team with all-state talent? Heck, you could load up players from around the state like Pat Sheil, Vic Harris, Vic Hall, Todd Nolen, etc., and if you don't give them a good coach, they won't perform for SQUAT!

I also find it funny how you knock on playcalling by Hackney. Need I go back and refer to the last INT during the Twin Valley game. Yeah, really nice trick play. It'd been even more nice if Pound had won and that idiotic play had cost the team a shot at regionals.

It's sorta funny how you contradict yourself as well and talk about assitant coach Ledford Gibson who was a Wayne Halal assitant until he stepped down, but then say he could've did a better job than him? Last I checked Coach Gibson was having much success in NC under a once bad football team.

I also find it funny how you don't have your facts straight. Wayne Hall was never fired. He was offered the chance to step down or be fired after the incident that happened after a football game. The school board had NO CHOICE but to let him go, and he chose to step down.

And lastly, Mr. Compton in another thread said it best. No matter the talent, nor the numbers, if you have the heart you can match up with any squad. I can remember when this schedule was put togehter 2 years ago, the coaches themself said it was done solely based on putting togehter a string of lesser opponents to make it to region. Now whether you want to miscontrude that, it's your own perrogative, so have at it, but facts are facts.

First hand information? Did you attend practice this year? I responded to your comment concerning constructive criticism, yeah, you may have "first hand experience" but unless you were a player this year(2004) then you would not know how practice went. So to say all the coaches were out of line with thier constructive criticism is "ignorance". To address my comment about babying players: The players that were 'babied' were only 'babied' to try and keep them on the squad for practice reasons. Like I said before in my previous post, this was attempted on one or two individuals to try and keep them on the squad and they still quit. I really dont know where you are getting I'm contradicting myself, please explain...

I dont care if you have bill parcells you got to have some talent to do anything.As I said Talent will make a coach look good. What othe play did you want Hurley to call because our quarterback was out and it was fourth and long and from what i can see the runnig back has the best arm on the team also. I mean sh!! what other play would be in the playbook on fourth and long with one minute remaining in the game. To clarify my point about Ledford Gibson I never did say he could do a better job. I just said he was a anothe godd coach that got caught up in politics. Hurley will never do good because there is too many people up there that dont want to see them win. For what reason i still dont know! I dont think no body likes the coach and they just want to set back and be arm chair quaterbacks and critics. I agree with REBS I wish some of these people posting that know so much would apply for a coaching job, but i believe they know how it would turnout because they been there before. To the Grundy posters pleas quit criticizing Hurley's schedule because they play teams on the same level they are supposed to. Hurley is nopt a great AA team that can schedule Grundy, Richlands, Powell Valley , GAte city. They are a team struggling to keep the program alive. WE know Hurley couldnt compete wit some teams that Grundy played. I know the very first team Grundy played, i think it was paintsville. East Ridge beat Paintsville and that was a team that huley plyed and beat. So come on somebody can do a littl better scheduling over there also. Grundy shouldnt be playing a team of East Ridge's caliber. I admit Grundy had a hell of a team this year and they have some talent from observing the one game i watched. I felt with all that talent they were underachievers.

Can you tell me what school a team with 14 players can schedule. Maybe we can get grundy on the schedule and give them something to be happy about when the beat us.

I would like to say to Rebelman44 i have respect for any team to make the playoffs with a 14 player roster. Good luck in the future. I am not around the hurley or grundy area but it seems to me that they are rivals. And from what i can gather u all played Unake Tn who was 9-3 and u all just losted 19-0. And Tennessee football is no choke. To to any coach who went to the playoffs with 14 players must be doin something right. I also heard in an article that he was a christian man and that means alot. After all these articles i have read about people throwing off on hurley actually makes me root for them. Me myself i am a Blues fan and congrats to them but all i can say is people need tp quit throwing off on Hurley and look at there own problems. From what I heard from local coaches was that the Grundy, Va High game was not a very well coached game. And from what was said in this article was that the KY teams u all played wasnt any good. But i dont no that from my own knowledge. Grundy was a pretty good football team but dont throw off on a school with weak numbers. It may one day happen every team in southwest Va. Good luck Hurley in the future and good luck to the coach. You would think after makin the playoffs they would leave him alone.

Go Dawgs and Blues

Unaka was supposed to be an easier opponent than they were the past two years. They were scheduled as a cupcake, but happened to turn the corner a bit. They finished 9-2, but with the schedule they had, what could be expected? There toughest games were against Twin Springs (whipped Twin Valley, but got canned by Burton), Big Creek, and their rival Cloudland (who whipped them 32-6 in a DOWN year; 29 years in a row losing that game they have). There only other loss came in the playoffs to a Coalfield team that made the state semis before losing.

I don't think its fair to second guess playcalls as has been down with the halfback pass under Hackney and the trick play from the Twin Valley game this year. In Hurley's situation this year, trick plays and gimmick formations was the primary means of throwing the football. What other option did they have on a 4th and 8 (or longer, I don't remember the yardage)? We can blame the RB for underthrowing the pass or the QB for not adjusting to the ball, but the truth of the matter is, the CB from Twin Valley stuck to his responsibility (I'm sure he was in a Deep Zone/Prevent) and covered the play flawlessly.

I think a lot of people outside of Hurley don't understand why the numbers issue exists. Sure, there are only 190 kids in the school, but there are kids who try to play football and quit and others who could play (and contribute) and don't even come out. If JI Burton can get 30+ kids from an enrollment of 170, Hurley should be able to get 25 out of 190.

Of course, Hurley did have 19 kids on the team from the East Ridge/Ervington weeks up until the week they played Haysi. Of course, Hurley still practiced and played football week to week as if they only had 12 or 13 capable bodies to do so. Why? Because its easier to practice the 12 or 13 kids who know football better and have played for years. It was awkward to see a couple of the kids who went into the game against Big Creek once the Coach had said "its overwith" and look like a kid playing his first pee wee league game.

My point? If Hurley had 24-30 kids come out and stick with football for the entire year next fall, things would not look much different if the team was run the same way as it was this year.

The numbers excuse would be out the window though...what next?