Richlands/Salem GAME discussion thread

BigD4VT

Two days before a game that is the biggest of the year for both teams...and for some, the biggest of their lives, and not a word has been typed about how these teams match up.

I've been told that Salem likes to pass. They have speedy recievers and a QB who can throw the ball. Richlands secondary was tested in the first half by Magna Vista's passing game but adjusted well and shut it down in the second half. I guess the key is Richlands needs to get as much pressure on Sharver as possible.

I haven't heard much about the Salem defense but only two teams, Christiansburg and Cave Spring scored more than two touchdowns against them. At the same time, not a single team held the Spartan offense to less than three td's.

What do people here think? How does the Richlands O-line stack up to the Salem D-line ect.?

The game will be played saturday at 1:30 if you would like to see it come on out,our kids think they can beat sal--um and that my friend is what counts.Because they are the ones that are going to be on the field playing the game.

[ QUOTE ]

Two days before a game that is the biggest of the year for both teams...and for some, the biggest of their lives, and not a word has been typed about how these teams match up.

Salem runs the spread, sometimes with four receivers. They also line up in a pro "I" with a FB, TB, slot and a TE. They like to pass, yes, but they also like to run. their FB is probably undersized but he'll bring it and he's quick. The tailback is 5'9" and about 195. He has break away speed and great hands. The slot back is only about 145 if he's that but if he gets a step on anybody line up for the PAT. He may be the fastest kid in AA. You have to take good angles on him cause he's just that fast. That's not bragging and I hope you don't take it that way. Our O line is undersized, quick and fundamentally sound. Amherst sent LB all night, but we picked them up pretty well. If other teams start putting too many in the box to stop the run we usually make them pay in the flats.

Defensively, again, we're undersized. We usually play a 5 front with three LBs. Good quickness to the ball. All three LBs are not afraid to hit, CBs are quick and so is the safety.

At the first of the season I thought this defense would have many problems and they did initally. Once the coaching staff settled on who they were going to start they gelled and the size difference didn't seem to matter. Pulaski, Liberty and Amherst were noticably bigger than we were. As a matter of fact most of the teams we played this year were bigger than we were.

We've got a pretty good kicker and he doubles as a punter. Our return guys have very good speed and our kick-off coverage ain't bad.

As a fan what should I look for from Richlands?

I look for a good game.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

I've been told that Salem likes to pass. They have speedy recievers and a QB who can throw the ball. Richlands secondary was tested in the first half by Magna Vista's passing game but adjusted well and shut it down in the second half. I guess the key is Richlands needs to get as much pressure on Sharver as possible.

I haven't heard much about the Salem defense but only two teams, Christiansburg and Cave Spring scored more than two touchdowns against them. At the same time, not a single team held the Spartan offense to less than three td's.

What do people here think? How does the Richlands O-line stack up to the Salem D-line ect.?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Salem runs the spread, sometimes with four receivers. They also line up in a pro "I" with a FB, TB, slot and a TE. They like to pass, yes, but they also like to run. their FB is probably undersized but he'll bring it and he's quick. The tailback is 5'9" and about 195. He has break away speed and great hands. The slot back is only about 145 if he's that but if he gets a step on anybody line up for the PAT. He may be the fastest kid in AA. You have to take good angles on him cause he's just that fast. That's not bragging and I hope you don't take it that way. Our O line is undersized, quick and fundamentally sound. Amherst sent LB all night, but we picked them up pretty well. If other teams start putting too many in the box to stop the run we usually make them pay in the flats.

Defensively, again, we're undersized. We usually play a 5 front with three LBs. Good quickness to the ball. All three LBs are not afraid to hit, CBs are quick and so is the safety.

At the first of the season I thought this defense would have many problems and they did initally. Once the coaching staff settled on who they were going to start they gelled and the size difference didn't seem to matter. Pulaski, Liberty and Amherst were noticably bigger than we were. As a matter of fact most of the teams we played this year were bigger than we were.

We've got a pretty good kicker and he doubles as a punter. Our return guys have very good speed and our kick-off coverage ain't bad.

I look for a good game.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how I screwed this thing up but my answer to BigDVT got put in the middle of his quote. I apologize my answer starts after .....how these teams match up" Sorry!

[ QUOTE ]

I just dont see Richlands beating Salem. Salem is just a better football team. But things can happen, anything is possoble. Personally i want Richlands to win but i dont see it happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pains me to say so, but I agree.

Richlands' offense will have to play much, much better than it did against Bassett for the Blues to have a chance in this one. In particular, they're going to have to open things up in terms of play calling. If Salem is allowed to key on Cain Ringstaff, and the Blues can't throw the ball, it might be a really long afternoon.

My opinion is based on Salem's performance against Liberty-Bedford, which I witnessed.

I'd be very pleased to be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I just dont see Richlands beating Salem. Salem is just a better football team. But things can happen, anything is possoble. Personally i want Richlands to win but i dont see it happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that Richlands wasn't able to use their whole offense against Bassett. They attempted only 4 passes and made very few outside runs. Pretty much just ran up the middle all night. They averaged 34 points in the other 11 games.

Pains me to say so, but I agree.

Richlands' offense will have to play much, much better than it did against Bassett for the Blues to have a chance in this one. In particular, they're going to have to open things up in terms of play calling. If Salem is allowed to key on Cain Ringstaff, and the Blues can't throw the ball, it might be a really long afternoon.

My opinion is based on Salem's performance against Liberty-Bedford, which I witnessed.

I'd be very pleased to be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Up until now I've chose to stay out of all of the bickering back and forth, but I guess I'll throw my two cents worth in here since we're going to have a reasonable conversation. Just a few of my observations from both teams. I've seen Richlands play in person (magna vista) and salem on television re-runs. Salem seems to spread the ball out very well and they have an excellent QB to get the ball distributed. I don't know what game time conditions are going to be like in Richlands on game day, but I've got a feeling if it's raining and that aweful wind is blowing, throwing the ball may not be an option for either team. Against Magna Vista, Richlands only ball movement on the ground was by their QB who I might add has some pretty good speed. Ringstaff never really showed up, I don't know if that is due to Magna Vista playing stingy run defense or if it was just an off night. I would believe it would be the run defense, but you can only defend the run for so long before they start to go to the air. Against Bassett last week (a game I didn't see, just read various newspapers), it seemed to me that if you took away that huge run in the first quarter, the blues really didn't run the ball that well against Bassett either. Richlands defense like mentioned earlier in the thread did bend a little bit in the first half of the game against MV but it did not break. MV's tight end made some unbelievable receptions in double coverage and that was what kept MV in the lead until the 3rd quarter. If it rains, the offensive game plans may just go out the window. It's already going to be slippery out there, and if it's raining during the game, I don't really see how anybody is going to be able to throw the ball. Both teams are very good teams with very good key players. If Richlands can open up some holes for Ringstaff early in the game, and put points up in the first and second quarters, I would look for a Blues win. If Salem's D can hold Richlands in the first half and put some points up on the board in the process, I don't think Richlands will be able to overcome a large first half deficit against Salem's strong D. I know Richlands has been a second half team all season long, but you can't get down early against a team like Salem. In all reality, I think Richlands can hang with Salem if the line shows up to play ball (which from what I've seen, they do every game). It's really a toss up, but home field advantage has got to play a huge roll in this one. I haven't been in a high school stadium all year long as loud as Richlands. The band plays some pretty wild music and the crowd is nuts! It's a great home field atmosphere and that's something to be proud of. Best of luck to both teams. I've got to be pulling for Richlands in this one just because of being from Region 4, but whoever wins this one, make sure you stick it to those boys out on the coast and show them just how we play hard nose football down here in swva!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look for an offense that leans heavily on it's RB but actually wants you to key on him. He's a bruiser who gets most of his yards 4-5 at a time but can also break the long one.

The QB doesn't pass a whole lot but he can throw it. He's also a very good runner. He moved to QB from WR this year and has been a solid performer and a great leader.

The receiving corps is very good. Travis Tatum will catch just about anything in his vicinity. The TE Jeremy Keene is one of the better TE's in the area as both a blocker and receiver.

The strength of the offense is the line. They are big, experienced and do their job well. They are the reason Ringstaff averages 124 ypg against 8-9 in the box.

The heart and soul of the defense is the line. They are tough against the run and get good pressure on the QB when he passes.

The LB's are solid if unspectacular. They follow the ball and are a big reason why Richlands is tough against the run.

The secondary loves to hit. They have good cover skills and have 15 Int's on the year. The safeties, Wells and Tatum have 8 of those. They did show some susceptibility to the deep pass in the first half against Magna Vista and that could be a problem this week.

On special teams Richlands has a solid kicker in Jeremy Keene. He probably has a range of about 40 yards. On the return teams Caleb Jennings and Travis Tatum are both capable of big yardage. Richlands has also blocked several kicks this year.

Sorry this sounds so bias but I do have a high opinion of this team.

That kicker is the most accurate toe bash kicker i've ever seen! Most kickers on all levels now days kick soccer style but the Keene kid who still uses the old toe bash does a pretty good job of it! He's accurate and he's got a pretty good foot. I was impressed with his play in the Magna Vista game as a kicker.

I know this is going to sound crazy but maybe Richlands is going to have to try a play besides Cain up the middle like maybe, just maybe, Cain to the outside...I know it's going to be muddy but after watching the Richlands tapes the one thing Salem won't be expecting is a play where Cain goes somewhere besides up the middle.

That QB Option out of the spread that Richlands ran against Magna Vista put up some good numbers. The first score of the game for Richlands was on that play 51 yards out. Richlands has more weapons on the ground than just Ringstaff, from what I saw however, they are only used as a last resort. If they mixed it up a little bit with some options more often I think Ringstaff would be even more dangerous!

[ QUOTE ]

That QB Option out of the spread that Richlands ran against Magna Vista put up some good numbers. The first score of the game for Richlands was on that play 51 yards out. Richlands has more weapons on the ground than just Ringstaff, from what I saw however, they are only used as a last resort. If they mixed it up a little bit with some options more often I think Ringstaff would be even more dangerous!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nail on head

There was a play where Thad (QB) runs the option, but instead of running it with Cain, he runs the option to a slot receiver, was it Tatum? They ran that play against Graham and it went for six. I haven't seen them use it since. I hope I'm not giving anything away here for Salem. But, I had to ask. Why not use that play again?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Why is that? The phrase "wasn't able to" certainly piques my curiosity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the field was a mess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably going to be a mess on Saturday, too.

I'm hoping that the Blues will be able to grind out some kind of production on offense. But if the game plan is simply to let Ringstaff carry them to victory (a la the regional final), my prediction is that Salem will be able to shut that down in a hurry.

[ QUOTE ]

Probably going to be a mess on Saturday, too.

I'm hoping that the Blues will be able to grind out some kind of production on offense. But if the game plan is simply to let Ringstaff carry them to victory (a la the regional final), my prediction is that Salem will be able to shut that down in a hurry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree. They can't depend on runs up the middle all night but I don't think that's what we will see. I think the field will be better than last week.