Yet another article on "Cleatgate"...pretty good!

Lance

Richlands vs. Salem more than your average state semifinal

BY BUCKY DENT

BRISTOL HERALD COURIER

Dec 3, 4:00 AM EST

They played a game of football on Dec. 5, 1992 in Richlands.

Most fans remember that the Blue Tornadoes took a 17-7 Group AA, Division 4 semifinal win that day over Salem on their way to a 14-0 record and the school’s only state championship.

Some might recall that tailback Brannon Breeding churned through the muddy Ernie Hicks Stadium field for 229 yards on a state semifinal record 46 attempts. Others can tell you how Richlands’ physical, well-schooled defense stuffed a Salem running game led by future Virginia Tech tailback Marcus Parker.

But the one thing everyone knows about this game is what happened in the weeks after it was played.

And it all came down to an eighth of an inch, a fraction that 12 years later, many in Richlands would just as soon everyone forgot about.

"We won the game and were awarded the state championship," said Tom Rife, the school’s boys basketball coach since 1987 who’s currently the athletic director.

"After the game, there were no winners as the result of a poor decision."

The Decision

It had rained most of November and Blues coach Dennis Vaught was worried about traction for practice leading up to the biggest game in school history. So he ordered 5/8-inch cleats for his team to use.

Game day dawned clear, windy, cold and muddy. Forget running – just standing would be tough on this field.

Richlands shelved its normal split-back veer in favor of a Power I formation with two tight ends and an unbalanced line. Its line took toe-to-toe splits and executed what Salem coach Willis White called the simplest game plan he’d seen.

Breeding pounded away between the tackles, chewing up a proud defense and putting the Spartans away with a 63-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. Richlands had done what many deemed impossible, not only winning, but dominating the state’s top-ranked AA side.

The Blues completed their perfect season a week later with a 19-10 win over Orange County. Vaught, who won a Group A, Division 2 title at now-defunct Lexington in 1988, had turned Richlands from a perennial loser to a state champion in two years.

The celebration lasted deep into a cold, snowy night.

The hangover began shortly thereafter.

‘Cleat-Gate’

Rumors began floating around town before Christmas that Salem felt the Blues had gained an unfair advantage by using the 5/8-inch cleats in the game. National Federation rules don’t permit cleats longer than a half-inch for safety reasons.

Vaught steadfastly denied the allegations, even as Salem obtained a sales slip from CMT Sporting Goods. Salem officially protested the game’s result and the Virginia High School League convened a special meeting of its Executive Committee in late January.

With the 26-man Executive Committee, a spate of media and officials from the two schools on hand, the rumor became fact. Vaught admitted his team had used the long cleats against Salem.

Roanoke-area officials, who worked the Orange County game, also reported that the Blues were wearing long cleats in pre-game and were asked to change to legal cleats by kickoff, which they did.

Many neutral observers felt the committee’s ruling – the school kept its state title, but incurred a one-year ban from the playoffs – was flattering to Richlands. But the fallout wasn’t close to ending.

The Tazewell County School Board voted at a long, contentious hearing in early February to suspend Vaught for the 1993-94 school year. The following morning, more than 300 students and adults hoisted picket signs in front of RHS and protested Vaught’s ban.

"There was some division in town," said Ron Brown, who has announced Blues games since 1979 on WGTH. "Some people were 100 percent behind the program and coach Vaught. Others felt a change was needed."

Rife, who has credited the Blues’ passionate fans with many wins in his successful career, felt fans and students were merely displaying that passion on a warm winter morning when they proclaimed their support of Vaught.

"I don’t think anyone tried to create anything bad," Rife said. "I think it was a way for the fans to channel their emotions."

Back to the Future

And now Richlands is back in the state semis for the first time since 1992. And as fortune would have it, who comes walking into Ernie Hicks Stadium Saturday on what figures to be a sloppy field? Yes, Salem.

These are totally different players, of course. Most of them weren’t even in school when this happened. Yet by fate, they’re injected into a state semifinal that for many in Richlands, is more than your average state semifinal.

"People have not forgotten," Brown said. "There’s still a lot of bitterness towards Salem. For those fans, it’s deeply personal. They don’t want to lose this game."

The affable Greg Mance, an assistant coach on the 1992 team who’s in his eighth year of a successful stint as the Blues’ head coach, echoes the sentiments of many in Richlands.

"I don’t think it’s fair to these kids to talk about it," he said.

Fair or not, it’s the sizzle on this weekend’s T-bone steak of a football game.

All because of an eighth of an inch.

*** Read the original article from Bucky Dent HERE!

It's a good article but Richlands was not "Perennial losers" before Vaught got there. They didn't win any state championships but they usually had a good team. They just happened to play in the toughest district on the planet. Until 1986 anyway.

5-5 and 6-4 were common for most teams in the SWD back then...I remember when 5-5 would win you the district...but you have to remember before the new playoff system, only 1 team at the most would even make the playoffs...and winning "state" back then was a lot harder than it is now.

[ QUOTE ]

Whichever year it was that Mike Compton and company played in the state semi's at Richlands, i believe was one of the best years b4 92'. So they def. were perennial losers or w/e.

[/ QUOTE ]

MISTAKE...i meant were NOT perennial losers wink.gif...typing error on that one sorry bout that.

[ QUOTE ]

5-5 and 6-4 were common for most teams in the SWD back then...I remember when 5-5 would win you the district...but you have to remember before the new playoff system, only 1 team at the most would even make the playoffs...and winning "state" back then was a lot harder than it is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were some good teams in the SWD back then.

[ QUOTE ]

Whichever year it was that Mike Compton and company played in the state semi's at Richlands, i believe was one of the best years b4 92'. So they def. were perennial losers or w/e.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember being in attendance when Mike and the Blues played VHS that year...

I also remember the picture that made the RHS Football poster the following year with our receiver's toe (was it Hagy?) touching inside the endzone (a catch ruled out of bounds). That would have given us the championship. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

At least one media member isn't jumping on the Richlands/Salem "Cleat-Gate" bandwagon. Chris Miles of WVVA just said Richlands is playing "Harrisonburg" tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love the local sports guys... grin.gif *oblivious*

[ QUOTE ]

At least one media member isn't jumping on the Richlands/Salem "Cleat-Gate" bandwagon. Chris Miles of WVVA just said Richlands is playing "Harrisonburg" tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you telling me WVVA MADE A MISTAKE??? You know, on a serious note, WVVA mistakes should be a drinking game. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Friday Football Extra just did a preview of the game. Said Salem was heading to "Hicks Field".

[/ QUOTE ]

Hicks Field. Ha! It's not like everyone doesn't look down on us bad enough already.

I get tired of hearing about some of the salem fans talking about how BIG their CLEATS were!! I read that one person mentioned that they looked like pole climbing shoes. HA! BELIEVE ME.. an eighth of an inch is not going to be more visable in a picture nor is it going to make a difference on a muddy field. Speaking from experience. We won 13 other games by beating teams with a smash mouth offense and defense, just like That game.. No different. I mean We ran about 4 different plays the whole game.. It doesn't get any better than that.."Tough teams under tough conditions, AND TODAY THEY WERE TOUGHER THAN WE WERE" ------Thats a Direct Quote from their NO 1 FAN that DAY!

[ QUOTE ]

I get tired of hearing about some of the salem fans talking about how BIG their CLEATS were!! I read that one person mentioned that they looked like pole climbing shoes. HA! BELIEVE ME.. an eighth of an inch is not going to be more visable in a picture nor is it going to make a difference on a muddy field. Speaking from experience. We won 13 other games by beating teams with a smash mouth offense and defense, just like That game.. No different. I mean We ran about 4 different plays the whole game.. It doesn't get any better than that.."Tough teams under tough conditions, AND TODAY THEY WERE TOUGHER THAN WE WERE" ------Thats a Direct Quote from their NO 1 FAN that DAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

And, again I ask. If the 1/8" didn't matter why did you use them?

GO SALEM

GO MULES

I guess since there was great welcome to all fans at ERNIE HICKS STADIUM today. And there was a graet ball game played.THIS SUBJECT CAN FINALLY COME TO A REST. THERE WAS NO ONE PLAYING TODAY TREATED AS WELL AS SALEM fans WERE IM SURE. And i beleave they will say the same.Lets close this caption

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also remember the picture that made the RHS Football poster the following year with our receiver's toe (was it Hagy?) touching inside the endzone (a catch ruled out of bounds). That would have given us the championship. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the 1987 team is the one that folks are referencing (Compton graduated in '88, thus his senior football season actually took place in the fall of '87). That was a great team. In addition to Compton, Adam Lallande received a great deal of attention from Division I programs as a linebacker. Essentially, that team proved to be a good combination of Bruce Evans' players and a more wide-open offensive scheme.

The game in question was a regional semi-final (or first round in the playoffs, if you prefer), not a championship contest. Although VHS did go on to defeat Marion for the Region IV title, so one might logically opine that Richlands would have done the same.

The receiver in question was Chad King (fellow '89er Rob Hagy didn't play football until our senior year). Richlands was actually awarded a TD in that game on a muffed punt by VHS -- one of the worst calls I've ever seen in my life, BTW. Some folks think that the subsequent incomplete call against Chad in overtime was a "makeup" for that officiating error earlier in that game.

My own opinion is that Richlands was pretty much a doormat from 1973 until Bruce Evans arrived in 1982. Since 1982 I'd describe us as consistently competitive if not overly impressive. Heldreth's 1979 team which beat GC and finished 6-4 was an anomaly in the stretch between '73 and '82, much as Billy Haun's losing teams were from 1988 through 1990. FWIW, the Blues never won a regional playoff game from the inception of the current system in 1970 until Vaught's win over Blacksburg in 1991. Conclude what you may.

Didn't mean to split hairs, but my history degree compels me to offer corrections sometimes as a I see fit.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the 1987 team is the one that folks are referencing (Compton graduated in '88, thus his senior football season actually took place in the fall of '87). That was a great team. In addition to Compton, Adam Lallande received a great deal of attention from Division I programs as a linebacker. Essentially, that team proved to be a good combination of Bruce Evans' players and a more wide-open offensive scheme.

The game in question was a regional semi-final (or first round in the playoffs, if you prefer), not a championship contest. Although VHS did go on to defeat Marion for the Region IV title, so one might logically opine that Richlands would have done the same.

The receiver in question was Chad King (fellow '89er Rob Hagy didn't play football until our senior year). Richlands was actually awarded a TD in that game on a muffed punt by VHS -- one of the worst calls I've ever seen in my life, BTW. Some folks think that the subsequent incomplete call against Chad in overtime was a "makeup" for that officiating error earlier in that game.

My own opinion is that Richlands was pretty much a doormat from 1973 until Bruce Evans arrived in 1982. Since 1982 I'd describe us as consistently competitive if not overly impressive. Heldreth's 1979 team which beat GC and finished 6-4 was an anomaly in the stretch between '73 and '82, much as Billy Haun's losing teams were from 1988 through 1990. FWIW, the Blues never won a regional playoff game from the inception of the current system in 1970 until Vaught's win over Blacksburg in 1991. Conclude what you may.

Didn't mean to split hairs, but my history degree compels me to offer corrections sometimes as a I see fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Thanks for the slight corrections ... I was 10 when that regional game was played so I question my memory for sure. I didn't opine grin.gif I would remember anything at all.

[ QUOTE ]

Good post. Thanks for the slight corrections ... I was 10 when that regional game was played so I question my memory for sure. I didn't opine grin.gif I would remember anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all good, Alpha.

As far as my opinion statement, the thoughts I posted were my own. Just looking for some third person validation if I could find it.

cool.gif

Richlands was actually awarded a TD in that game on a muffed punt by VHS -- one of the worst calls I've ever seen in my life, BTW.

Do you really think that was a "bad" call. I really thought Lucky Daggs touched the ball as it went over his head. Just my opinion. Also, when Chad King caught that ball on the sideline in the endzone, I was about 5 feet behind him, running the deeper route. I wished I could have made the call, he was defintely in bounds.

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands was actually awarded a TD in that game on a muffed punt by VHS -- one of the worst calls I've ever seen in my life, BTW.

Do you really think that was a "bad" call. I really thought Lucky Daggs touched the ball as it went over his head. Just my opinion. Also, when Chad King caught that ball on the sideline in the endzone, I was about 5 feet behind him, running the deeper route. I wished I could have made the call, he was defintely in bounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

No question that Daggs muffed it. Richlands definitely gained possession on the play.

The part that the officiating crew botched was the rule that says you can't advance a muffed punt. My recollection was that the ball came down in front of the goal line (the exact spot escapes me after 17 years) and that our guy(s) batted it into the end zone where we recovered it. The officials gave us a touchdown as a result, which was an incorrect call.

The correct call should have been to award possession to Richlands at the spot where the ball was originally down. Probably academic, since we would've had first and goal within the 5 yard line. But still a bad call.