Refs in the Richlands vs. Salem game

Lance

I know we always say a lot when the refs screw up...but I thought they did a great job in the game this weekend...there were very few flags and they let the boys play...I'd much rather see a game like that vs. flag after flag like the Grundy vs. Carroll County game this year.

When it was all said and done...the refs didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game and thats the way it should be.

Just curious if any of you guys at the game thought they did a good job or not?

But it looks to me the VHSL could have chosen some refs that were in a little better physical shape for this game. Two of these guys were so .......large...they couldn't get out of the way of the players. On one running play, a Salem back ran right into the larger ref negating the chance of a huge gain. I'm not an Adonis myself, but good grief, they need to be in a good enough physical condition to at least, stay out of the way of the players.!!!

There were two non-calls in particular, a hold and a face mask that happened right in front of the ref. They were blatantly obvious from the stands but he missed them.

There was also a Richlands reception that was ruled a trap. There is no possible way that ball was trapped. The ref on the play was out of position to see it.

Other than that, I agree. They did a good job. Even the calls I mentioned had no effect on the outcome.

My, my, my... The infamous Lance is at it again about the refs. Do you ever leave the refs along or do you just love to down till football doesn't have refs any more. I believe that you have somthin' for the zebras don't you!

The refs at the Richlands game did do a good job for the most part. They didn't call many penalities and let the game be decided by the teams instead. However, there were some questionable calls that the refs missed. I know that they can get everything right and no one is perfect, but those calls could have changed the outcome. And I don't even go to Richlands.

[ QUOTE ]

My, my, my... The infamous Lance is at it again about the refs. Do you ever leave the refs along or do you just love to down till football doesn't have refs any more. I believe that you have somthin' for the zebras don't you!

[/ QUOTE ]

do you even read posts before you reply or do you just run your mouth at random? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

There were two non-calls in particular, a hold and a face mask that happened right in front of the ref. They were blatantly obvious from the stands but he missed them.

There was also a Richlands reception that was ruled a trap. There is no possible way that ball was trapped. The ref on the play was out of position to see it.

Other than that, I agree. They did a good job. Even the calls I mentioned had no effect on the outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

BigD4VT I was standing/ sitting in a chair on the track at the West end next to coach Carlock. I had the glasses on the receiver. He did trap the ball. It was damn clost but he did trap it. Lance is right about the size of those two refs. they were both out of position all day. I thought one of them was going to have a heart attack after a long run. Andre broke one on an ice and he nearly ran over the biggest one. The ref didn't know if he should crap or go blind. Andre put a couple of moves on him that caused him to freeze but by then it was too late to go around.LOL I thought all in all the crew did a pretty good job. They let em play. At this stage of the season most officials do nuless it's flagrant.

you guys have one hell of a team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't say anything about the size of the refs.. confused.gif

They were big guys, seemed to get the job done though...as for that one play where the guy ran into the ref, he cut back and hit the ref in the middle of the field, happens several times in a year, I've seen it happen and cut LB's off at least 4 times this year...so I doubt the guy being "big" had much to do with that, the RB just cut back in to him where he was standing (which was in position where he was supposed to be)...the kid would have hit any size ref standing there IMHO.

WE GOTTA WAY WITH A FEW OUR SELVES TORGE THE END, BUT THEM TRASH TALKIN TO TRAVIS THE WAY THEY DID WASNT RIGHT ALL GAME. ALLLL I CAN SAY ABOUT IT I WISH ALL OF THEM COULD WATCH THE GAME, WHEN YOU SEE TWO HANDS FULL OF JERSEYS CONSTANTLY,,,,,,AH NEVER MIND..ITS OVER

[ QUOTE ]

WE GOTTA WAY WITH A FEW OUR SELVES TORGE THE END, BUT THEM TRASH TALKIN TO TRAVIS THE WAY THEY DID WASNT RIGHT ALL GAME. ALLLL I CAN SAY ABOUT IT I WISH ALL OF THEM COULD WATCH THE GAME, WHEN YOU SEE TWO HANDS FULL OF JERSEYS CONSTANTLY,,,,,,AH NEVER MIND..ITS OVER

[/ QUOTE ]

TRUEBLUE, it's pretty much an accepted practice for O linemen to "punch in their block and then grab" as long as they keep their hands inside the frame of the opponent it's rarely called. Blocking is not like it used to be. Back in the day we were taught to block with forearms and shoulders, cradeling the opponent between those surfaces and the neck/head, fists clinched and drawn tight to the chest. It ain't like that anymore. How many times have you seen your DE get held "flagrently" and not called. Alot, I'll bet. That's because no referee is asigned that responsibility. OE are taught to take a rush end up field. When this happens the action is out of the field of view. If officials called every hold the games would last 5 hours.

Everybody does it!

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[ QUOTE ]

I remember my year of JV football,our line coach told us to punch in to the shoulder pads and grab the inside of them under there armpits and drive them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way it's taught now. Thanks for the backup.

GO SALEM

GO MULES