BOYS/GIRLS BASKETBALL GAME NIGHT

OFISHE8

My question to the SWD BBALL forum is this: What would you guys like to see? Girls and Boys Varsity games played on the same night or played on diffrent nights? Which schedule would work better for the players? fans? coaches? Let me hear your feedback--it might have some weight toward future scheduling. Personally, I liked playing the varsity on the same night. It helped create better atmosphere and better attendance for both games. I don't agree with the girls always playing first. If the girls teams are better than the boys, they should let the boys play first. Let's see what the forum thinks!! Logon and give me some feedback.

I think they should be played on different nights. If you put the varsity girls before the boys then that cuts down their attendance for their games. Also by putting them on two different night you can have two large crowds which will bring in more money.

Another point is if the varsity games are on the same night then the two JV games on a different night would not get much attention from alot of fans. Which is no fair to them b/c they would like to play in front of a large crowd too.

Put JV girls with Varsity girls and JV boys with Varsity boys so all four teams could draw nice crowds.

Let me ask you this: If each jv/varsity team played two games a week(which is fairly normal), that means four nights out of the week there would be a game somewhere, would that create a problem for attendance or would two boys/girls varisty games on the same night give a bigger opportunity for a larger crowd. See what happened is these schools lost a separate season in girls bball so they try to make it as appealing as it can possibly be. In the long run, we will probably see varsity on the same night and JV whenever you get a chance. It is unfortunate but highly probable.

I don't see a problem with playing them on the same night...but someone is going to complain about it being unfair who plays first.

I wish they would just get a set day as to when they play...like Friday night is football...why not have it set so Tuesday and Friday is basketball or Sat or whatever day...pick 2 or 3 days out and play on them...run 2 varsity games (boys/girls) each night...I think it would increase support and turn out for the games by a lot if people knew when they were being played and it was a regular type thing...you know the nights, just have to figure out home/away.

The local news media is horrible at putting up schedules and all that sort of thing...next year we plan to have the full schedules for all sports in the forum calendar here as well as the main part of the site. Also plan on making up schedule desktops for all area teams for download.

That sounds like an awesome idea! I have been unable to find any schedules for basketball. I can't even find the schedule for the Arby's Classic in Bristol online. For those who aren't familiar with the Arby's Classic it's one of the best high school tournaments in the country.

AS FOR ATTENDANCE I HAVE HEARD ALL THE DISAGREEMENTS ON THIS WATCHED IT CHANGE IN 3 STATES. MY OPINION IS GIRLS&BOYS THE SAME NIGHT. I WILL AGREE THE JV'S SUFFER A LITTLE BUT THE VARSITY GIRLS AS FAR A ATTENDANCE USUALLY COMES OUT TO THE GOOD. BECAUSE BY THE END OF THE FIRST QUARTER. MOST FANS ARE THERE. THEY HAVE THE ONE'S THAT WERE COMING TO THE GIRLS GAME ON ANY NIGHT PLUS THE ONES THAT ARE COMING TO THE BOYS. AND IT HELPS THE BOYS TEAM IN THE SAME RESPECT AFTER THE GIRLS GAME ONLY A FEW LEAVE. THE NEGITIVE IS. IF IT IS A CLOSE GIRLS GAME THE FANS ARE ALREADY FIRED UP FOR THE BOYS GAME. NOT ALWAYS GOOD FOR THE REF'S AND SPORTSMANSHIP.

SOME ARGUE THAT SOMETIMES THE GIRLS SHOULD PLAY AFTER THE BOYS NOT A GOOD IDEA. I HAVE SAW THAT AND I AM SAD TO SAY THAT MOST OF THE TIME SEVERAL PEOPLE WOULD LEAVE IT'S NOT RIGHT BUT THATS HOW IT IS. BY THE WAY I NEVER LEAVE ANY GAME EARLY REGARDLESS OF WHO OR SCORE. UNLESS I HAD TO LEAVE FOR WORK. I LIKE BOTH GIRLS AND BOYS TO DIFFERENT STYLES OFF BASKETBALL.

Well said! The sad part of all of this is the fact that in the near future schools are going to lose one team from thier system. Either a sixth, seventh, eighth grade because of the demand for gym time and game scheduling. You will definitely see JV suffer if schools start playing varsity on the same night. Our JV system in this area has been really spoiled on how the games are always the pre "show" every Tuesday and Friday nights. They get the same officals, fans, and support that most of the varsity contests receive. This will change over the coming years and if every school system will allow 8th graders to play JV they can eliminate that one program and get more gym time and calendar dates to play. This will draw a few more fans and possibly better officials to the games as well as the attendance they deserve.

JV could play early, same night as the varsity...face it JV are not going to have much of a crowd anyway...so why not let them play first, then the Girls then the Boys....would be easy and you would get an overall better turn out.

the problem is getting the varsity and JV programs in sync and working with the girls program, it would be a little odd at first but once it got going and if it were on set nights, it would become routine and i would bet anything turn out would be a lot better after a couple of years.

What that would require is someone with the balls to stand up to the people who are going to complain about girls always playing before the boys and so one...I think the argument could be made that you are trying to establish set times so that it becomes something people can figure out...I mean if you know every Tuesday and Friday you are getting a JV game at 6, a girls game at 7 and boys at 830 or so then it gets really easy to start going to games and it's easier for teams like CC to travel to Grundy (for example) and just bring all 3 teams for a night of basketball and you could easily work it in the schedule that teams like that travel on Friday so they don't miss as much school. It would also give weekends open to travel to tourney's if needed.

As it is right now I have no idea who plays when or where confused.gif ...so I couldn't go to a game without going to the trouble of finding out... most people simply won't go to that trouble...I think if the entire district adapted this it would help out a lot on many levels.

I don't know...my opinion the best thing for the sport would be to get a plan that makes it more of a routine like football.