Rusty Coeburn wins BDT/Poca. Coal P.O.Y. award...

Bluefield_Rules

No surprise here, Coeburn was the clear-cut favorite considering his record setting year under-center for the Beavers. Others up for the award were: Michael Davis (Bluefield), Adam Havens (Montcalm), Aaron Looney (Grundy), Cain Ringstaff (Richlands), Garon Marcum (Grundy), Matthew Barker (Bland County), J.R. Wilson (Tazewell), and the entire Bluefield defensive unit. Congratulations to all the weekly winners of the award and special congrats to Coeburn for winning player of the year honors...

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2004/12/10/sports/01poy.txt

Coeburn named Player of the Year

Posted: Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 - 10:10:41 pm EST

By DUSTY HARMAN

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON - Bluefield's Rusty Coeburn may need to add another shelf or two to his room with all of the awards he's earned during his senior season.

Coeburn, the senior quarterback of the Class AA state champion Bluefield Beavers, capped his high school football career Thursday by being named the Bluefield Daily Telegraph/Pocahontas Coal Association's player of the year for 2004.

Coeburn, who was twice named player of the week this season, passed for 2,132 yards and 18 touchdowns in leading the squad to just its second-ever 14-0 season, and helped the school claim its eighth state crown.

"It's a great honor to win," said Coeburn, who was also tabbed as the most valuable player in Bluefield's state title win.

"It means a lot to me, but the state championship means more because it was the whole team that earned that trophy."

Other finalists for the top player award were Richlands' Cain Ringstaff - also a two-time player of the week - along with Montcalm's Adam Havens and Aaron Looney of Grundy.

Coeburn, who also tallied 93 tackles and four interceptions while playing safety on defense, said that it was rewarding to be able to see talented gridders from both Virginias at the banquet.

"I know most of them because I played basketball with them a couple of summers ago," Coeburn said. "I played with (Tazewell's) J.R. (Wilson) and Cain. It's just an honor to be recognized among those athletes, because they are great athletes."

Coeburn is now enjoying a one week "vacation" before taking the court to play basketball for the Beavers. He is projected as a starter at forward for coach Ernie Gilliard's squad.

"I start Monday for basketball," Coeburn said.

Like Coeburn, the other finalists were pleased to be nominated as one of the area's top players.

"It's a great opportunity to be around the area's elite," Ringstaff said. "There were a lot of great football players here. It's a great honor to have the opportunity to do it.

"I couldn't have been here without my team, so I'd like to thank them. And I'd like to thank the town of Richlands and my coaches for four great years of support."

"I had no idea I'd be a finalist - I was just happy to be here," Looney said. "It's a great honor. There are so many great athletes around here, I was just glad to be recognized."

Havens said, "It's a great honor. There's been some great athletes to come through here as player of the week and it's great (to be one of them)."

Looney collected more than 1,000 yards rushing and capped his defensive career with 380-plus tackles for the Grundy Golden Wave, which went 37-11 with Looney on the roster.

"It was my last year and I just wanted to give everything I had," Looney said. "I just want to thank my teammates, my coaching staff and my family for supporting me and getting me to strive for my very best."

Havens, a dual threat to throw or run this season for Montcalm, collected more than 1,000 yards in both rushing and passing. Also a solid defender for the Generals, Havens was the only underclassmen to be named a finalist.

"As a junior, it's a great honor to be named up here with a group of seniors," Havens said.

Ringstaff capped a sterling career with the Richlands Blue Tornado with 1,549 yards this season, while leading the Blues to the Group AA, Division 4 semifinals.

"(Being a finalist) was a good way to cap off the season, but I'd rather be in Lynchburg right now playing for that state championship," Ringstaff said.

In order, the 2004 players of the week were: Rusty Coeburn (Bluefield); Michael Davis (Bluefield); Adam Havens (Montcalm); Aaron Looney (Grundy); Cain Ringstaff (Richlands); Garon Marcum (Grundy); Matthew Barker (Bland County); the Bluefield defense; J.R. Wilson (Tazewell); Coeburn and Ringstaff finished the honors, respectively.

Pocahontas Coal Association President Rick Taylor told the players: "You are the guys started in little league football and worked your way up. Tonight, we honor you. ... We cover a large area here, and you are the best.

"You are the best of the best."

- Contact Dusty Harman

dharman@bdtonline.com

01poy.jpg

The Bluefield Daily Telegraph/Pocahontas Coal Association players of the week (front row, left to right), J.R. Wilson, Matthew Barker, Michael Davis, Rusty Coeburn, Adam Havens, Cain Ringstaff and Aaron Looney. Standing - Rick Taylor -Pocahontas Coal Association, Garon Marcum, David Perdue, Daniel Wells, T. J. Morris, Tracy Coppola and Bob Redd-Daily Telegraph sports editor.