Bluefield 77, PikeView 57--FINAL

bluefieldRocks

[ QUOTE ]

no offense to anybody... but repass will have a tough night tomorrow... or he should

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Johnathan is trembling.

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2004/12/30/sports/02beavers.txt

Beavers chew up Panthers in tourney's opening game

Posted: Wednesday, Dec 29, 2004 - 11:21:38 pm EST

By BOB REDD

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON - Strong three point shooting and a pressure defense propelled the Bluefield Beavers to a 77-57 win over the PikeView Panthers in the opening game of the First Century Bank Holiday Classic at Princeton Senior High School Wednesday night. The Beavers drilled eight treys, seven in the first half, to pull away from their Mercer County rival.

After ties at two and four, Bluefield spurted to a 22-13 lead after one quarter, thanks to two threes by Jonathan Repass and one by Tarius Palmero.

The Beavers' long-range success continued in the second stanza as Jonathan Payne on three consecutive possessions nailed treys from behind the arc and Repass added two more long-distance buckets as the Beavers built a 43-29 halftime lead.

"I thought we came out and played with a little bit of intensity. We came out and played hard," said BHS assistant coach Tony Webster.

"We had a guard that came in and really changed the game around in Jonathan Payne. I thought he really played a good game and shot the ball well. This is a big win for us, PikeView being one of our sectional opponents."

Payne would score the only three in the third as the Beaver defense took over the game and allowed the Panthers only eight third quarter points.

"Everybody knows Bluefield basketball," Webster said. "We're going press, we're going to get after them, we're going to try to run the ball. We're trying to get other teams out of sync. That's why we do our press, and our press worked real well for us tonight."

Bluefield head coach Ernie Gilliard and PikeView mentor Bill Anderson provided playing time for reserves in the fourth period as the Panthers outscored the Beavers 20-14, but it was too little too late as Bluefield claimed the win and advanced to play Princeton in the tournament championship tonight at approximately 8:00.

Repass led Bluefield with 15 points (three treys), Payne added 12 (four treys) and Dexter Moore tallied 10.

Ben Proffitt topped the PikeView scoring column with 14 points.

PikeView plays James Monroe tonight at 6:30 in the consolation game of the tournament.

At Princeton Senior High School

PikeView (n/a)....................13 16 8 20 - 57

Bluefield (3-2)....................22 21 20 14 - 77

PVHS - Jonathan Meadows 0, Jonathan Yost 2, Anthony Shrewsbury 0, Anthony Cooper 4, Sammy Taylor 7, Brant Johnson 2, Lewis Pertee 4, Jerry Fowler 5, Justin Caldwell 34, Shane Roark 8, Ben Proffitt 14, Eugene Hoston 4.

BHS - Jermone Powell 3, Rusty Coeburn 4, Bradley Cosby 4, Delaney Goodso 1, David Perdue 1, Jonathan Repass 15, Dexter Moore 10, Daniel Wells 4, Quintin Steptoe 2, Jordan Manns 9, Treymaine Matthews 6, Kyle Hammond 0, Jonathan Payne 12, Tarius Palmero 6, Mark Page 0.

[ QUOTE ]

well i think it was obvious the all american wanted no part of princeton and everyone knew it..

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he just went to the free-throw line in the closing seconds of OT tonight and sank two game-icing freebies to send the Tigers home a loser. All Repass has to do is flash his state title bling and Princeton goes slient...

[ QUOTE ]

tell him to try it and see... i promise nobody will be quiet

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes, you'll likely hear Princeton people gasping and even some crying. You might also hear statements such as:

"Wow, so that's what one looks like."

"I'd like to just have a chance to play for one of those."

"Man, he's lucky"

"I hate Bluefield, but I'd love to be them."

"Maybe he'll let us touch it, or better yet polish his state title trophy."

All in good fun... grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

but id much rather never get near a state championship ring than leave here... no matter what

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as they say, to each his/her own. Johnathan did what he did for himself and unless someone has walked in his shoes they're in no position to judge him.

I'll bid you good night now though, I'm off to bed. Take care.

yeah princetontiger says he wouldnt leave but then again no one in princeton knows what its like to win. yeah they hate it because they lost their best athelete and a great person. just ask some of the football players who he would give rides to all the time with no question and then they run their mouths about how he is a traitor. and not to mention the parents who ran their mouths to him at a soccer game in princeton at the begining of the year. they know what they lost and seeing what he has helped bluefield acomplish makes it ten times worse. a state title in football(which will never been seen in princeton) and who knows what else he may help the beavers get later on. i also must give kudos to the community of bluefield for being so kind to johnathon and his family.