Bluefield 76, Princeton 73--FINAL (OT)

Bluefield_Rules

Princeton controlled the boards and I said this afternoon it would be a close game if that happened. Dexter Moore led Beaver with 29 points. Bluefield (4-2) has now won the Princeton Holiday Tournament three straight years and beaten Princeton eight straight games.

What a game for the fans. It was a tough one to lose ,but neither team has nothing to hang their heads about.Both coaches did a good job coaching and the officiating was ok too.Looking forward to watching the Beavers again real soon.Good job to both teams!

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2004/12/31/sports/02.beavers%20hoops.txt

Beavers hold off Tigers to win Classic

Posted: Thursday, Dec 30, 2004 - 11:38:40 pm EST

By BOB REDD

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON - It was a game that was good to the last tick of the clock.

The Bluefield Beavers came from behind to defeat the Princeton Tigers 76-73 in overtime in the championship game of the First Community Bank Holiday Classic at Princeton Senior High School Thursday night.

In an atmosphere rivaling a state tournament game, Princeton behind its zone defense grabbed the early lead. Two inside baskets by Jamal Fenwick and a three by Andrew Whittaker sparked the Tigers to an 11-9 lead after onequarter of play.

Dexter Moore scored six of Bluefield's first nine points.

The teams fought back and forth and Princeton held a 29-23 halftime advantage.

Bluefield came out smoking in the third quarter.

Moore scored the Beavers' first seven points to pull his team to within one, 31-30. The Beavers took the lead on Tremayne Matthews' putback with 4:14 to play in the third.

Princeton answered, however, led by William Gardner's nine third quarter points and retook the lead, going up by six. The Tiger lead stood at three, 46-43 as the fourth quarter began.

Thereafter, it would be a back-and-forth game until the final minute of play.

Whittakers basket with 1:25 left gave Princeton the lead only to see Rusty Coeburn tie it. Jamal Fenwick's bucket underneath with 41 ticks on the clock put the Tigers ahead 65-63, but Jonathan Payne's two free throws tied the game with 29.4 remaining, sending the game into overtime.

Payne's three in overtime gave Bluefield a five point lead, but again Princeton battled back, the winning points coming from two Jonathan Repass free throws.

Moore led all scorers with 29 points. Payne added 12, Repass and Matthews 10 each for the Beavers.

Fewick paced Princeton's attack with 21, Whittaker added 16, William Gardner tallied 15 and Alvin Gardner 11

At Princeton Senior High School

Bluefield (4-2)............9 14 20 22 11 - 76

Princeton (1-4)............11 18 17 19 8 - 73

BHS - Rusty Coeburn 6, Jonathan Repass 10, Dexter Moore 29, Jordan Manns 3, Tremayne Matthews 10, Bradley Cosby 2, Jonathan Payne 12, Tarius Palmero 4.

PHS - Jevon Carpenter 3, William Gardner 15, Alvin Gardner 11, Michael Winfrey 4, Jamal Fenwick 21, Andrew Whittaker 16, Justin Jewell 3.

[ QUOTE ]

Both coaches did a good job coaching and the officiating was ok

[/ QUOTE ]

You and I must have been at different games. That was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen.

[ QUOTE ]

You and I must have been at different games. That was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

So thats why i was listening to it on the radio it had like 20 pauses like every 2 minutes?...lol