Bluefield 60, Shady Spring 56

Bluefield_Rules

It was my first look at the team tonight and I wasn't impressed. I've watched Bluefield basketball closely since about 1994 and this is the worst team I've seen in that time. Outside of Repass and Moore no one else seems to have much of a basketball IQ. The defense is the worst I've ever seen a Bluefield team play. They don't slide their feet, they reach, and commit stupid reach-in fouls. And don't even get me started on the free-throw shooting. This might seem brutal, but what I watched tonight was brutal. Thank goodness for Dexter and Johnathan or we'd be in very bad shape.

When Bluefield loses come tournament time it'll be because of bad free-throw shooting.

I'm not going to single out an individual player, especially at this level, but Matthews leaves a lot to be desired. He could be dominant inside if he would put forth the effort each time down the floor.

The Payne kid might be able to shot, but his defense is seriously lacking. There is no way the kid he was guarding tonight should have been able to beat him with the dribble like he did. Although, when you don't get low and slide your feet that will happen.

The kid he was guarding was shorter than he was. And yes Payne seemed fast, which makes the fact he got beat off the dribble by someone with half his speed disappointing. He is only a sophomore though, so hopefully someone will work with him on staying low and sliding his feet. You play defense with your feet, not your hands.

[ QUOTE ]

The kid he was guarding was shorter than he was

[/ QUOTE ]

How little can kids get and still play basketball???....lol

but Mougsy Bouges (sp)just poped into my head, after seeing him play for charlotte i know anything is possible now

You know Rules, it's a shame you call yourself a Bluefield fan. As you said in your post, this was your first time watching this team play. Give them some credit, most teams had been practicing for several months while this team had several DAYS of practice as a team before the season started. They are still working out the kinks but mark my words, this team is going to be tough to beat come tournament time. Sure there are things that they need to work on but they are 8-3 with two of those losses coming to two of the best teams in AA right at the beginning of the season. If this team goes on to win the title you will be on here talking about how great Bluefield is and how big of a Bluefield fan you are. You need to come to a few more games before you start spouting off how this is the worst Bluefield team you have seen in 10 years. There are a lot of teams in the state that would like to be as "bad" as Bluefield is this year!!

[ QUOTE ]

You know Rules, it's a shame you call yourself a Bluefield fan

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, because I'm not sugar coating the facts? I'm sorry I don't believe in lauding a team as being something they aren't.

[ QUOTE ]

Give them some credit, most teams had been practicing for several months while this team had several DAYS of practice as a team before the season started.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fully aware that most teams had about a month more practice than Bluefield and that could be used as an excuse in December. However, it's January 19th and with eleven games and a little over a month of practice under their belt that excuse is old.

[ QUOTE ]

They are still working out the kinks but mark my words, this team is going to be tough to beat come tournament time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and I never said that they wouldn't be tough. In fact, I said back in December that I believed they'd be a "tough out" come March. However, right now they're seriously lacking some very important aspects of being a tough team, like defense and free-throw shooting.

[ QUOTE ]

If this team goes on to win the title you will be on here talking about how great Bluefield is and how big of a Bluefield fan you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they win the title then I'll glad bestow the deserved praise upon them and rightfully so. However, win or lose I'm a big Bluefield regardless. Again being critical and pointing out your teams flaws doesn't make you any less of a fan. In fact, I believe being able to admit when your team isn't up to par is being more of a fan than someone that pretends everything is great.

[ QUOTE ]

You need to come to a few more games before you start spouting off how this is the worst Bluefield team you have seen in 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to disagree there. Granted it was a single game, but for anyone with basketball knowledge you could clearly see the flaw in fundamentals last night against Shady. And yes, it's the worst Bluefield team I've seen in the past decade. That isn't as much of a bad thing if you consider the caliber of teams at Bluefield over the past decade. This team clearly isn't up to par many of those teams. Even the 2002 team that was riddled with injuries to the team's top two scorers much of the season and finished at .500 in the regular season was better. That team had quite a few players with a solid basketball IQ and advanced to the state semi-finals before losing to the eventual state champs.

[ QUOTE ]

Sure there are things that they need to work on but they are 8-3 with two of those losses coming to two of the best teams in AA right at the beginning of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they're 8-3, but honestly what good teams have they beaten? I don't consider teams like Princeton, PV, Shady, James Monroe good teams. Those are teams that Beaver should beat simply on having better athletes. The only quality win at this point was against Oak Hill when Bluefield played without two starters.

[ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of teams in the state that would like to be as "bad" as Bluefield is this year!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that suppose to make me feel better? Bluefield is Bluefield, and as such there is a high standard to upon on the hardwood. Being better than most teams in the state, but not on the level a Bluefield team should be on doesn't make me feel better. This team has some very good talent and there is no excuse for letting a inferior opponent like Shady Spring stay as closely as they did last night.

Those are my opinions on the subject and if being "real" makes me any less of a fan in your eyes then so be it. Again though, I don't sugar coat things that shouldn't be sugar coated.

Where did you say they would be a tough out? Your statement was "When they lose come tournament time.." It's one thing to get on here and talk about things that need to be worked on, like the free throw shooting, but it's another thing to get on here and completely belittle a team that you say you are a big fan of after only watching ONE game. You also said you weren't going to point out individual players and then you proceeded to name two players and their "weaknesses".

It's also funny to me that you think that with your superior basketball knowledge you can accurately assess a basketball team by watching one game. Your not taking into consideration that they may have had a bad game as a team, as all teams do.

To the players: There are fans out there who support you and feel that you are going to be the team to beat. Use "fans" like Rules to fuel your fire. Good luck with the rest of your season and keep up the good work.

[ QUOTE ]

Where did you say they would be a tough out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read back through some of my preseason comments on the team and some comments following the first few games.

[ QUOTE ]

Use "fans" like Rules to fuel your fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please do. If the team played with a fire and passion throughout a game they've destroy many of these teams. So please use my comments to fuel your fire and play with intensity for an entire game, not just for stretches when you feel threatened.

As for you beaverfever, I've spoken my peace on the topic. I'm not going to argue back and forth over this. You're a fan that always sees the positive regardless. I'm a fan that always looks at what can be improved upon b/c you can never rest, but must strive to improve each and every day.

[ QUOTE ]

and they have alot of good talent coming up from the sohpmore and frehsman classes

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree there. Ansel Ponder is a freak on the court with his natural ability. He has a tremendous wingspan to only be 6'2" right now, which tells me he should grow quite a bit taller. He looks to be playing effortlessly on the court; he’s that smooth. The Hammond kid also impressed me last night with his shooting ability and general court awareness. Those two along with Moore, Payne, and Matthews could be an outstanding team next year if they continue to develop.

[ QUOTE ]

I agree....but tremayne matthews is a pretty good player down low in the post posistion...

[/ QUOTE ]

If by pretty good you mean playing like a 5'3" guard in the post, then I suppose he is good. Matthews is soft and it shows. He lacks the physical presence of the Bluefield big men that came before him such as John Patterson, Chris Thompson, Ronnie Wells, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

If by pretty good you mean playing like a 5'3" guard in the post, then I suppose he is good. Matthews is soft and it shows. He lacks the physical presence of the Bluefield big men that came before him such as John Patterson, Chris Thompson, Ronnie Wells, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he would get in the game mentally and physcially...then there wouldnt be no doubt he would be great low seeing he has the speed and the height

soft you say? you cant score 20 points against teams like logan,winfield,etc... and be soft

[ QUOTE ]

soft you say? you cant score 20 points against teams like logan,winfield,etc... and be soft

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think scoring is the only thing to being a good inside man, then you should really re-examine your basketball IQ. He lacks a solid and consistent presence on the boards and from a defensive standpoint in his shot blocking. He is too laid back and appears to be afraid to be aggressive out there.

Well who else should they start at the post?

No other player really on there team has the height or the manover abilties down low to make those tough shots...And if you can name me a better player than him that will play down low and make all those hard shots...please let me know

[ QUOTE ]

No other player really on there team has the height or the manover abilties down low to make those tough shots...And if you can name me a better player than him that will play down low and make all those hard shots...please let me know

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing my point. He doesn't get the ball usually unless it's in the case of an offensive rebound and put back. Their lack of going to him as a first option proves that he has a lacking inside presence in almost every aspect of the game: post scoring, rebounding, and defense. It isn't my intention to get on here and tear people down, but I really have no option but to speak up when you guys get on here and hype him up to something he isn't.

It doesn't matter who your playing, who have to have someone down low to rebound and be a defensive stopper at the goal. What if all those 3's those guys arent going in one game. Who's going to get rebounds and get easy second chance points.

You always need a low-post threat regardless of whether or not you have shooters. A low-post threat can cause a defense to sag inside and leave the outside guys more open. However, you if you noticed against Shady the defense didn't have to sag in their zone and were able to press Bluefield's shooter beyond the 3-point line. An inside presence is extremely important in basketball at any level.