Point about Marcum and Muncy

Tid_Bit

If Muncy had played 4 years at Grundy under Greg Rowe and A. Marcum had played 3yrs at Tazewell under Harris Hart and 1 under Bobby Wyatt, then the roles would be reversed. My point is that if Muncy had played with quality a coach and same type of players around him that Marcum had.....all the talk about the best linebacker in swva would be about him instead of Marcum. You know it be true man!

If it didn't snow I would have went to Richlands today...

If those two bad calls weren't made in that Va High game, Grundy would have had a shot at Gretna...

If I played the lotto, I might win....

[ QUOTE ]

...all the talk about the best linebacker in swva would be about him instead of Marcum. You know it be true man!

[/ QUOTE ]

While the scheme's the kid played in and the talent surrounding him may have been different, this still does not make up for the fact that both kids had equal time and opportunity to lift weights, study film, et al, to prepare for football season.

Also, it does speak more for Marcum to stand out in the more talented Grundy team in this region than it does for Muncy to seemingly be the big fish in the little pond and still not get that pub.

Face it, good players get recognition regardless of where they play. But the debate I leave to those who have seen 'em both more than I.

Aaron is just a better player than muncy, and i have personal experiance in saying that. The point is like the hurley guy said that muncy had the same oppurtunity to train and practice and lift just like aaron, but aaron is a better player still. Trust me on that one i know. And i really dont think muncy would have played 4 years at grundy, maybe 2 at the most. smirk.gif

Well people will have a hard time convincing me that Marcum is better than Muncey and I have watched swd football for a long time. Even played in the old swd and 1 year in the 5 team district.

I've played beside Mark for 2 years and I know what he's done to be in the shape he is now. I have nothing but respect for him and Jake Evans both. People stand around and watch them lift weights at the fieldhouse.Marcum and Muncey both got Honorable Mention for All-State, but really, who are they going to put on a All state team. A linebacker from Grundy? or a linebacker for Tazewell. Just tryin to be real here. tongue.gif

...and you have the ring.

grin.gif

Still...not many know how hard Aaron works out...it's always football season for that kid, and he could have played basketball or wrestled...but he has one thing on his mind and thats football...I've been around just as long as you have...and I've seen some good football over the years...even in SC, AL, and GA...I lived in Summerville SC for a couple of years...they have the coach with the most wins in HS football...I've never seen a kid that puts in the time and effort off the field that Marcum does...that impresses me more about him than anything he does on the field. What you don't understand, football is not a game to this kid, it's a lifestyle.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

...all the talk about the best linebacker in swva would be about him instead of Marcum. You know it be true man!

[/ QUOTE ]

While the scheme's the kid played in and the talent surrounding him may have been different, this still does not make up for the fact that both kids had equal time and opportunity to lift weights, study film, et al, to prepare for football season.

Also, it does speak more for Marcum to stand out in the more talented Grundy team in this region than it does for Muncy to seemingly be the big fish in the little pond and still not get that pub.

Face it, good players get recognition regardless of where they play. But the debate I leave to those who have seen 'em both more than I.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the only people who promote him are Grundy people. Muncey has had articles in the Bristol paper promoting him. Muncey has also been a pocy coal asso. player of the week, I know Garon has been also but has the other Marcum?

You guys could argue about this one all night long. Its pretty much like the Ringstaff vs. G. Marcum discussion. It doesn't matter who you put in there your going to get great results. I've played againist both of them for the last 3 years and it wouldnt matter which one you had on your team, its going to be hard to run up the middle.

[ QUOTE ]

Actually the only people who promote him are Grundy people. Muncey has had articles in the Bristol paper promoting him. Muncey has also been a pocy coal asso. player of the week, I know Garon has been also but has the other Marcum?

[/ QUOTE ]

And here is what the Bristol paper said about the game this year between Tazewell and Grundy...since we are basing this on paper articles now...lmfao:

[ QUOTE ]

Grundy at Tazewell

This game could be a preview of the Region IV, Division three title game and will likely decide home field advantage. Tazewell doesn’t have enough offense to hang with Grundy but muddy field conditions could give the Bulldogs a boost. If this game comes down to defense, it will be a classic. Tazewell’s linebackers are some of the best in the area while Grundy boasts the region’s most dominant defensive player: senior linebacker Aaron Marcum. If Carroll County pulls an upset at Richlands, both teams will be playing for a share of the district title.

Prediction: Grundy 14, Tazewell 7

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yes Lance I do have the "RIng", I get your point about Marcum, but I wish you'd get mine about Muncey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do get it...I'd be glad to have either one on my team if i were a coach...if it were me, I'd take Marcum and you would take Muncey...nothing wrong with that...they are both top notch players...I'm not trying to down Muncey, I've said nothing but good things about him all season...and I wish he could have played 4 years under Wyatt...would have been nice to see what would have happened.

Hardly anyone, ANYONE in the whole of virginia will give any player from grundy any credit whatsoever. People seem to think grundy athletes are just average players and move on to the better known kids. And thats true about arron marcum as well. I've played with him for 5 years and have found only 2 line backers that were any better than him and both of those where from liberty-bedford. I blocked muncy pretty easily while i had the hardest time trying to keep aaron out of the backfield during practices and scrimmages. hes better than muncy. Period. mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hardly anyone, ANYONE in the whole of virginia will give any player from grundy any credit whatsoever. People seem to think grundy athletes are just average players and move on to the better known kids. And thats true about arron marcum as well. I've played with him for 5 years and have found only 2 line backers that were any better than him and both of those where from liberty-bedford. I blocked muncy pretty easily while i had the hardest time trying to keep aaron out of the backfield during practices and scrimmages. hes better than muncy. Period. mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cary Perkins one of the best players I;ve ever played against. THere is your credit.

[ QUOTE ]

Yep, could have been a preview of the Region 4 div 3 title game.....but it wasn't. smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....and that was the real sad part...lol...at least for the Grundy fans. frown.giftongue.gif

Agreed, but it is hard to get the recognition when you dont consistently produce atheletes with the Size and Speed that D1 recruiters want. Fact of life here in SWVA.....we aint growing them as big as we used to!

we have them...there is just not an emphesis on churning out D1 players like there are in other areas...you have to have kids that hit the gym year round and they have to be worked with...that doesn't happen anywhere around here.

Tazewell has size, Grundy doesn't, well anymore. Since Big Cotton left, you had one kid over 6'2 and that was Colby Owens. Grundy has to make up for the size disadvantage with speed, technique and mostly toughness. Every week, the other team will be twice the size of us. My case in point, Muncey has got the size and speed, and Aaron makes up for that disadvantage(if there is one) with heart and agressiveness. You won't find a player that is anymore physical than Aaron. When he lines up over top of you on D, you can get a couple of good blocks on him, and after the first quarter, when he is still pounding, you are thinking this is one crazy MotherF***er!

We could go on and on and on like we did with the Garon and Cain discussion, but I will try to sum up my thoughts right now. Aaron plays is a better blitzing linebacker, while Muncey has a slight edge on the roaming ability. Grundy plays more of a we are gonna bring the house and you try to stop us D, while Tazewell plays kind of a conservitive 1 to 2 yards a carry type D.

If Muncey were to come to Grundy, he would most likely be on the D-line, because of his size. If I am not mistaken, he is bigger than Matt Lee, our biggest linemen. Not saying he is a good LB, he would be better suited at DE at Grundy.