Some of my photography

BigD4VT

Pea Patch is in eastern Buchanan County in the Bear Wallow/White Mountain area on the VA/WV state line. It's on the very top of the "Dividing Ridge". My family has been there for over 150 years.

It's beautiful country, the easiest way to get there from honaker would be to go across Drill Mountain, go up the road to Contrary, across Bill Young Mountain, through Whitewood and up Lynn Camp. When you get there, don't go on over the mountain, take a left, or you can take a right at a store that was called R.J.'s if you take a left, it will take you back out on Compton's Mountain, it is filled with beatiful views in the fall, lots of farms and stuff.

[ QUOTE ]

yeah it ain't that hard when you get at the top of Jewell ridge you go past the old sea b mining headquarters,make a right then go on out take another right and go straight

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of right. I go across part of Chicken Ridge then turn right. It's a pretty good ride up there...a lot of it is a narrow dirt road but it's beautiful once you get up there.

I'm sorry, I got my places mixed up..lol..I always thought PeaPatch was around Comptons Mountain, kind of the same area..lol

Big D Have you ever been up to the Church Camp? Some beautiful picture seens up there, you can see from Vansant to Big A..One of the highest peaks in Buchanan County.

Where is the Church Camp? My grandfather's family is from Pea Patch, and my grandmother's from Keen Mountain. My mom and her brothers and sisters grew up mostly in Jewell Valley.

My 6th great grandfather, Daniel Day, gave Pea Patch it's name.

On top of the Mountain in the Dry Fork section of Vansant..Go across the Vansant bridge and go up the first holler on the left, there is an Exxon station on the left and it is just around the curve above Food City. Go all the way up the holler and to the top of the mountain, there is a gap where you can go straight, turn left or turn back and go out on the ridge. Just stay straight. If you are interested in checking it out just drop me a pm..I'll get up with Larry Fields who is over the camp, and I will take you up there and show you around.

Those are some fantastic shots, BigD. Hope you don't mind, but I swiped a few to use as wallpaper on my PC.

Also noted some of your comments about the area and your family. My wife's kin to a bunch of folks in that part of Buchanan. Wouldn't be a total shock for me to find out that we're related someway, somehow.

Thanks BuzzsawBeaver. I enjoy your pictures very much. Most of mine were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 5700 that I unfortunately had to sell. I'm looking to get a less expensive 5.0 megapixel sometime before spring.