Shady's football coach resigns...

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.register-herald.com/articles/2005/01/28/sports/7alls.txt

After five seasons, Alls says that's all

By Gary Fauber, Assistant Sports Editor

Shady Spring will have to replace 15 seniors from last fall's football playoff team, but Charlie Alls says the Tigers will still be a force.

He just won't be around for it.

After guiding the team to two state semifinal appearances in five seasons, Alls recently resigned as Shady Spring's head coach.

"I just didn't want to be a head coach anymore," Alls said. "I just wanted to take a step down from that. There was a lot of factors that played a role in it. I can't just pinpoint one."

Alls compiled a 31-24 record in his five seasons. The Tigers went to the Class AA semifinals in 2000, losing to eventual state champion Bridgeport.

This past season, Shady again advanced to the semifinals before losing to Wayne, which lost in the state title game to Bluefield.

"A lot of times (success is because of) the kids you get," Alls said. "The team we had this year was a great team. The kids were great. What I liked most about the team was they were very coachable kids, and not only talented athletically, but good in the classroom, too.

"That's how all the kids are at Shady. The kids at Shady work real hard, kind of a blue-collar work ethic."

Alls is still a teacher at the school and will continue to coach the track team this spring. As for football, he has left the door open to return somewhere as an assistant.

"Irregardless of whether you are a head coach or an assistant, you have to put a lot of time into what you do," he said.

While there is no word as to who might replace Alls, the outgoing coach says Shady will be competitive again in 2005.

"They will be a very good football team next year," he said. "I think whoever gets the job done will come in and do a good job, and I think the kids will respond to it and do well. Anybody who overlooks Shady next year will be mistaken."

Alls said he appreciates the time he has spent as part of the Shady football program. Prior to being the head coach, Alls spent nine years as an assistant.

"I enjoyed my stay at Shady," he said. "The kids are great, the people in the community are great, the administation is great. That makes it all worthwhile. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. It was a very rewarding experience."

- E-mail:

gfauber@register-herald.com

i play for shady and im glad he's gone. not too many ppl know that he wasnt at practice the whole week of the bluefield game it may not have changed the outcome of the game but when your head coach/offensive coordinator misses the whole week of practice and shows up on friday night and calls plays then that makes a huge difference.

[ QUOTE ]

I personaly think they should have fired him after missing that whole week, insted of letting him resign. Im honestly suprised to see they made it to the top 4 teams in AA before getting beat by the Wayne Pioneers

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not. Shady was simply better than the two teams they faced in the first two rounds of the playoffs. They should have made it to the semi-finals and they did...

I will admit we (shady) probably got the best draw in the playoffs but im surprised we got that far with the coach we had. because he missed a lot more practice then just that week but im not going to say anymore about that. but i think shady is going to be competitive in a couple of years again and will eventually become a good football program with the new coach. if shady stays AA then only time will tell about the program.

I think everyone on Shady's side of the bracket had a good draw b/c none of them had to face the two best teams, Bluefield & Weir, before Wheeling... wink.gif

Shady did well this season, they could have folded after the Bluefield game. But, they battled back and accomplished a lot.