any '05 graduates signing with the u.s. military?

buzzsawBeaver

[ QUOTE ]

with the recent posts about athletes signing with colleges, thought I'd see if any are signing up to serve our country?

There's commonly a handful who do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure of any but I think it wouldn't be such as bad idea with all the benifits they would recieve

Here are the Sites for the Army, Navy and Air Force teams. It shows all the committed players that have.

My bad the websites I had posted didn't work after I had checked it for a Second time.

But nobody from West Virginia or Virgina

signed with Army, Navy or Air force

We had a guest speaker today, He was in the U.S Army and the 82nd airborn divison stationed out of fort bragg north carolina. He told us after you take your basic training. Then your automatically in the army for 4 years. Then after you serve those for years your on reserve for another 4 years. Then if you wish you can drop it and have no ties at all with the US. Army. But they army pays for all the books, your tuition and everything you could think of if you wish to go to college. He told us that being in the airborn raises you check amount since your doing something extra. I believe he said he was in the Airborn Infintry. Which are the people who parachute out of planes and are foot soldgers... It was very intresting

Ofcourse you get paid to be in it.. Or literally half the soldgiers wouldnt do it. When your on the base, you get your hair-cut every week. Free Dental. Free doctor. Free everything almost...

Call me a wimp but i'd never jump out of a plane and fall hundreds of feet.. Just the feeling of your chute and your reserve not working. Scares the heck outa me. grin.gif

I knew they gave you money for college and when you leave the army.

But I didn't relize that the lowest position(privates) got paid 14,000 off the bat.

They also get Discounts on base stores.

You wouldn't have to jump out of planes. They have many other jobs you can do. I might consider doing it in a couple of years

I've been looking at the army site for a while, looking at the different jobs you could decide to do. And i personally wouldnt mind being a M1 Armor crewman. Which is somebody who drives the tanks, fires it, make's sure its running properly. Pretty much everything that has to do with a tank. grin.gif

Yea who knows. When I get older im gonna get in touch with a recruiter so he can explain it better.

I personally like the Marines or Army

They say the 13 week training process is Harsh.

You open up with a mile and a half run that has to been done in 13 minutes then you end the last week with a 5 mile run. Which for me that would prolly kill me..haha

You think running a mile and a-half is harsh

I woudlnt even think about entering the Marines then, There the hardest out of them all. I watched a progam on TLC and saw some stuff they had to do. Like lay in the ocean water at night for like 3 hours straight. And this water isint warm either, i mean maybe 40 degree's.

[ QUOTE ]

You think running a mile and a-half is harsh

I woudlnt even think about entering the Marines then, There the hardest out of them all. I watched a progam on TLC and saw some stuff they had to do. Like lay in the ocean water at night for like 3 hours straight. And this water isint warm either, i mean maybe 40 degree's.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I think running 5 miles without stopping is Harsh

And they have to go 56 hours without sleep on the last couple of days.

Every other week they get 8 hours of sleep each night.

It may be the toughest but it has major benifits if you stick with it

They have all sorts of jobs, if it exists in the civilian world, it likely exists in the military, and then more.

Actually the pay isn't bad to start with considering you get 30 days leave each year from the start and medical care and things are no cost.

Some specific jobs also offer bonus's up to 10,000$ or more just for signing up. I know the national guard is considering offering a 15,000$ bonus just for signing up since they're numbers are low.

I know this reads like a commercial but it isn't. But it is a good deal considering you can also have most of your college paid for if not all of it after you get out.

In my opinion all branches have a lot to offer depending on what job or type of job someone's looking for.

Of course you could go to war depending on what job you do.

I was in the army national guard and navy.

In the national guard I was 11B, infantry, and I was also airborne.

Actually jumping is quite safe, a lot different from the freefall type of skydiving most people are used to seeing.

Most of my military knowledge is more of combat arms.

I don't know a lot about the more technical or mechanical types of jobs.

But I do know if you prefered to work on planes and such the airforce would be the branch best for that likely.

1 thing though, the 101st isn't actually an airborne division anymore, they're air mobile, they get around by helicopters, mostly the blackhawks. They still go by the 101st airborne though I guess for traditional reasons.

If you wanna jump a lot go to the 82nd.

If you want a lot of action nowadays sign up for the army rangers, special ops are the most effective type of unit we have in the war on terror. You can sign right up with the ranger indoctrination program in a contract, you'd go from 13 week boot camp infantry school to 3 weeks jump school to the r.i.p. program, about 3 or 4 weeks, right to a ranger battalion.

You can also sign up for special forces school with a program like the r.i.p., but it's a lot longer school, and requires language school.

Another elite infantry unit is the 10th mountain division.

If you want straight forward, inner city type of fighting like in iraq sign up with the army infantry or marine infantry.

Airforce has some combat jobs also, most people don't know about them though. FAQ's, foward air controllers or combat controllers who deploy with and work hand in hand with the rangers. They coordinate the jumps and such and with the aircraft from the ground.

They also have the pj's, pararescue, very elite soliders who are a highly trained medics. They go into hostile situations to assist badly wounded soliders and they often have to fight their way out. They were some of the most highly decorated soldiers during vietnam.

The navy of course has the SEALs, and unless things have changes you can still sign up for the divefare program when you enlist and have it in your contract.

The other combat job the navy has is HC, hospital corpsman.

The marines, which are department of the navy, don't have medics themselves, they use navy medics. As an HC you can volunteer to go through special training and be assigned to a marine unit. You go right along with them as they fight.

You get combat and hazardous duty pay at war. You get jump pay, if you jump, every month if you're in an airborne unit.

The only other unit that has any airborne troops I know of are maybe 1 in germany, and there's an airborne infantry battalion, only a few companies, in alaska.

Also lastly, the pay for officers is commonly about at least 2 times that of the pay of enlisted soldiers. So if you have a college degree 1st and go into the officer program you're making a lot more.

Anyhow, talk about the military and I get on a roll. Something I feel very strongly about. Especially now with so many soliders in need of support from fellow americans.

best thing to do is question advice from family or friends who know from experience, recruiters are generally honest, but sometimes they have different interests or quotas for certain jobs to fill. And sometimes there's good jobs people never really read about or don't know about in different branches.

God bless america!!!!

If you were watching "hell week" training that was BUDs, Basic Underwater Demolition school, navy SEAL school.

Actually though which is the hardest is often a matter of opinion. Marine bootcamp is typically more disiplined and longer, around 12 weeks or so, and physically demanding, and harder than the army boot camp.

Unless you're in the army infantry, that's also a very physical 13 week boot camp. Likely more physical in ways than the marines, but not quite as hard mentally.

Those are the hardest of the bootcamps.

As for the hardest schools, that's an entirely different situation. It's hard to argue the Delta selection, like the Bristish SAS, not much known about it, would be about the hardest thing someone could experience in the military. But also the most unlikely type of training anyone would ever experience in the 1st place.

Of the well known schools, BUDs, the navy Seal school, and the air force PJ school, are almost certainly among the most demanding.

Ranger school and army Special Forces school are very hard.

There are a lot of other smaller, shorter courses which are very demanding, such as sniper schools, SERE, Survival Escape, Resistence and Evasion school.

As for which units fight 1st that's dependant on the situation.

As you mentioned armor, yeah the tanks are deployed with the mechanized infantry units. That can be quite hazardous at times, but likely safer than being in the infantry, at least in iraq. But it's certainly a front line type of job.