UNC routs NC State

rhsfan88

UNC picked up another ACC win tonight improving to 7-1 in the ACC and 18-2 overall.

No. 2 North Carolina 95, N.C. State 71

By KEITH PARSONS

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina got only six points from leading scorer Jawad Williams, the first time this season he failed to reach double figures.

On a team with incredible balance, it hardly mattered.

Freshman Marvin Williams had a season-high 20 points, Rashad McCants scored 18 and Sean May had another double-double, helping the second-ranked Tar Heels beat North Carolina State 95-71 on Thursday night.

Raymond Felton reached 1,000 career points and added 10 assists for North Carolina (18-2, 7-1 Atlantic Coast Conference), which has won 18 of its past 19 games. May finished with 16 points and 14 rebounds to make up for Jawad Williams finishing 10 points under his season average.

The Tar Heels improved to 11-0 at home with a familiar formula - jump to an early lead, then close it with a dominant run early in the second half. This time, they shot 66 percent and led 51-32 at halftime, with McCants, May and Marvin Williams already in double figures.

Julius Hodge had 18 points but couldn't keep the Wolfpack (13-8, 3-5) from falling to 3-7 in their past 10 games. The trouble started when point guard Tony Bethel contracted colitis after a 2-week battle with the flu, and he sat out four games.

He only returned to the lineup full-time in N.C. State's previous game against Clemson, and in this one, Bethel played 35 minutes and scored 16 points.

Even with Bethel, the Wolfpack had very few answers for the Tar Heels. Reserve David Noel punctuated a steal in the first half with a reverse dunk, and Marvin Williams might have topped him during the big spurt in the final 20 minutes.

He capped nine straight points with a breakaway slam that featured him posing in the air with his left hand behind his head. Later, with walk-ons and other little-used players finishing out the blowout, several teammates were mimicking Williams' move on the bench.

With the victory secure, coach Roy Williams spent the final minutes relaxed on the bench, and he certainly needed the break. He's been bothered by a viral infection the past couple of days, and struggled through a post-game interview session with very little strength in his voice.

N.C. State got to 55-43 early in the second half after Hodge made one free throw, but that was as close as it would get. May had a layup on a nice assist from Felton, and Melvin Scott swished a 3-pointer before Marvin Williams' dunk.

He added two free throws a couple of minutes later to make it 70-48, and the rout was on. Earlier, McCants sensed the outcome was decided, looking toward his bench and making a throat-slash gesture.

[ QUOTE ]

UNC played a very good game, NC State wasnt with it tonight. I'm not saying NC State would have won. But it would have been closer...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and Carolina had absolutely nothing to do with that State not being right, right? LOL

Isn't it funny, all these teams seem to have a bad game when they play Carolina. I mean what an amazing coincidence that teams play like crap against the Heels... smirk.gif

Im not a fan of either really, i pull for them both in certain games, im a Tech fan in all sports so i could care less who wins between UNC and Duke im just statin how i feel, and you r too ha. It will be a good game as they always are, but im gonna ask yall...who do u think will win the ACC?

Because there is no true round-robin play in the ACC this year there won't really be the tradition regular season champion as in years past. The regular season "champ" will either be Carolina or Wake though. The ACC tournament this year is going to be special, as usual, and "Semi-final Saturday" might end up being better than the Final Four.

LOL your probly gonna be right on that cause i feel that on ACC team will win the national championship this year. I know Illionois is doing great and is undefeated and Oklahoma State is always tought but i think ACC is too deep for those teams.

Wake wont lose to GT again and Duke could easily beat them yea. Just a matter of gettin it done, and a side not Wake plays VT at VT i think sat. at 3 and the way tech has been standin there own by beatin a GT team and NC state and UVA and miami, iwouldnt be at all shocked to see them beat Wake.

[ QUOTE ]

Obvisouly they skimmed by duke and when they play unc id say that will be a good game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wake has already played UNC at Wake and beat them.

Once again UNC showed that they have about 4 or 5 different players that can score and take down an opponent. Duke can only beat someone with one, J.J Redick and I think that Jackie Manuel will do a nice job of containing him and keep him from putting up 25 or 30 points.

UNC will win by double digits.

I wish VT luck on Saturday against Wake, they'll need it. Wake's biggest downfall could be it's lack of an inside presence outside of Eric Williams and lack of intensity against lesser opponents. If Williams gets into foul trouble they have no one else capable of stepping in and providing a post game. However, if their guards are hitting from the outside it doesn't matter.

If anyone has watched Wake play this year you know they don't play with the same type of intensity against every opponent. When they've played Carolina or Dook they've play balls-to-the-wall defense and hustled hard. However, when they've played a lesser opponent the defensive focus seems to be lacking. They better find a way to bring every night regardless of the opponent or they'll lose a couple of more games they shouldn't.

Hopefully Tech can pull one on em then, Tech doesnt really have a "big guy" like williams(i think that was revealed against duke) but Collins, Dowdel, and Gordon when they are on they are pretty tought to handle.

Duke and Unc should be a good game down-low, with the "land-lord" sheldon williams, shavlick randolph down low, Against sean may and who else plays down low. I still say sheldon will controll down low. And jj will be nailing 3's from all over the place. Lee Melchionni will have to step up.

[ QUOTE ]

Hopefully Tech can pull one on em then, Tech doesnt really have a "big guy" like williams(i think that was revealed against duke) but Collins, Dowdel, and Gordon when they are on they are pretty tought to handle.

[/ QUOTE ]

If VT can stay outa trouble, they wont be to bad at all...