Coeburn signs with West Virginia Wesleyan...

bluefieldRocks

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/02/17/sports/02coeburn.txt

Coeburn to play football at W.Va. Wesleyan

Posted: Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 - 11:32:54 pm EST

By BOB REDD

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD - After passing for more than 2,000 yards and 18 touchdown tosses, being a part of a stifling defense, MVP in the state championship game and captain of the Class AA All-State team, Bluefield High School's Rusty Coeburn is ready to take the step to the next level of football.

Wednesday afternoon in the BHS library Coeburn, with family and his high school coach watching, signed a national letter of intent to play football at West Virginia Wesleyan College in Buckhannon.

Coeburn is uncertain on which side of the ball he will play at Wesleyan, but he is happy to have the opportunity to further his playing career and obtain a college education.

"It means a lot (going to Wesleyan), especially what I've gone through over the years," Coeburn said. "Going on to the next level and playing college football and getting my education means a lot.

"They said I could play quarterback, free safety, strong safety, inside or outside linebacker...it depends on how much weight I put on over the summer...I could play defensive end or tight end."

When asked his preference of position Coeburn said, "Anything on defense."

BHS football coach Fred Simon spoke highly of his starting quarterback/defensive back the past three seasons.

"I think his being in the state championship three years in a row as the starting quarterback, and as a player defensively for us speaks enough for what he has done for our program," Simon said.

"He has been an excellent role model in our weight room, with our fitness program, he's a fine young man. I wish him all the best of luck in the world and we'll really miss him."

Coeburn is the fourth Bluefield senior to sign to play football during this year's signing period. T.J. Morris, Quintin Steptoe and Derrick Steptoe all signed with the University of Charleston.

When asked about facing his former teammates on the gridiron in the future Coeburn chucked and said, "They'd better watch out, that's all I can say."

Congratulations to Coeburn on signing w/ Wesleyan. They are a very good school academically and athletically and I think he can excel there. I enjoyed playing against him and the rest of the Bluefield team my senior season(03). Best of luck to him w/ the Bobcats next year.

[ QUOTE ]

We already knew this LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people didnt know about this. Not everybody gets bluefield news channel's and bluefield's paper. So i was telling people who didnt know about this,where he planned on going.

But congratulations on rusty for getting a scholarship to a pretty good college

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

We already knew this LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people didnt know about this. Not everybody gets bluefield news channel's and bluefield's paper. So i was telling people who didnt know about this,where he planned on going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was mentioned on either of the two sources you listed...it was first brought up HERE on this message board...

Congrats to Rusty!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was mentioned on either of the two sources you listed

[/ QUOTE ]

It was on news channel 6 last night, and the bluefield daily telegraph today...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about the "we already knew that" quote...WE already knew that from discussion on THIS message board 10 or so days ago...therefore, WE, the members of this board, already knew what the media, BDT and WVVA, reported only yesterday...