Shady hires their new coach...

Bluefield_Rules

This just might be what the doctor ordered at Shady...

http://www.register-herald.com/articles/2005/03/09/sports/10shady.txt

Culicerto takes over at Shady Spring

By Gary Fauber, Assistant Sports Editor

Vince Culicerto is finally getting his opportunity.

The Raleigh County Board of Education approved Culicerto as the new head football coach at Shady Spring High School during its meeting Tuesday. He replaces Charlie Alls, who resigned the position in January.

"I've just been kind of waiting on the chance to do it," Culicerto said. "I'm pretty excited about it. I'm thrilled about it being a place where I'm teaching. I don't have to try to get a teaching job somewhere else."

Culicerto, the son of former Woodrow Wilson coach Pete Culicerto, takes the job after spending the last six seasons as an assistant at Woodrow Wilson. He was the quarterbacks and defensive backs coach on varsity, and was also the ninth-grade coach.

Culicerto is already familiar with the personell he will be working with in the fall. He teaches driver's education at Shady, and has been with the track team for three years, serving as head coach last spring.

The Tigers lose several seniors from last year's Class AA semifinal playoff team.

"That is a good, talented bunch that is leaving," Culicerto said. "But Shady Spring is building a tradition, and the kids that are left are excited about a change, as well as the other coaches. We expect to fill right on in and not have to rebuild, but reload."

Shady has been known for its running attack. Culicerto, 1989 Woodrow graduate, could provide more of a mix on offense.

"I played quarterback in high school so I've kind got a little bit of an offensive mind," he said. "I like to open things up a little bit if possible.

"It will be exciting. I like to do a little bit of everything, open it up and I don't mind pulling them in there and grinding it out a little bit."

Defensively, Culicerto likes to keep things simple.

"I just make sure my kids are well trained in what they're supposed to do," he said.

Culicerto said he picked up his excitement for football from his dad. But, more importantly, he learned about managing situations.

"How to handle things, from bad seasons to good seasons and everything in between, I had that first-hand," he said. "Just form him as a coach, how he did handle all those parts of the job, and there would be times I didn't even know how difficult it was because he handled them so well. That's kind of what I learned from him and hopefully I can do."

• 2 weeks later...

coach carrico is already at woodrow i dont know about Alls. shadyfan you wont be dissapointed by coach culicerto he is already doing good things for shady that needed to be done a long time ago. he was hired toward the middle and end of febuary. shady is going to be in great shape now. i think coach culicerto was the best choice. as a player's point of view he has already made alot of us excited to play next year. thats just sumthing Alls didnt really do in the off-season.

how is bluefield's off-season going or does anyone know? i just heard a couple of weeks ago that coeburn signed with weslyan. i think he will do good things for them in the future.