'roids

legend11

Tell me if you think they are on them:

Barry Bonds

Mark McGuire

Sammy Sosa

Lance Armstrong

Now, name a percentage of how many people you think use performance enhancing drugs in professional football and baseball, as well as any additional sports that might use them

Bonds - YES

McGwire - YES

Sosa - YES

Armstrong - I have no idea because I don't follow his sport.

Percentage of baseball players using performance enhancing drugs? I couldn't put a number on it but it's high.

Football? I don't know but I'm sure there are some who use.

I do happen to follow Armstrong's sport and I do not see any possible way he is on roids'. He is the most tested athlete in the world. In season and off season he is tested several times and the French media would love nothing more but to bust him on such allegations. If you havent, I strongly encourage the reading of Armstrong's first book "Its Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life". It will give you a new outlook and respect for what he has accomplished.

All the above yes except for Armstrong...he's is just the "perfect" example of an athlete that has overcome cancer...after he was cured of cancer and even before he was he cured he worked hard and his efforts have paid off in the number of wins he has had in the Tour 'de France...keep on rollin Lance!

Bonds-Yes

McGwire-Yes

Sosa-No

Lance-No

At first I thought McGwire might be clean but after his testimony at the Congressional hearing, he pretty much sealed his fate up. He would say anything about it and know he runs from any public appearances such as being inducted into the Bay Area Hall of Fame.

As for Armstrong, with all the testing cyclist go through there's no way he could be on steroids. I saw the other day on SC where he said a couple weeks ago, a couple of guys showed up at his door to give him a completely random drug test at 8 in the morning.

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't think Mark Mcgwire took steriods

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at pictures of Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire before they started making a mockery of the record books. They were alot smaller then. These guys have been working out their entire careers but became huge seemingly overnight.

There is no doubt in my mind they have used steroids to get where they are.

I also have no doubt that baseball is not interested in stopping it. Homeruns sell tickets and that's what they want. Bigger players + smaller parks = 2x as many homeruns as 12 years ago.

BTW, did you notice how much smaller McGwire is now that he's been retired a couple years? I don't think someone who's been an athlete his entire life is going to just stop working out.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't think Mark Mcgwire took steriods

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at pictures of Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire before they started making a mockery of the record books. They were alot smaller then. These guys have been working out their entire careers but became huge seemingly overnight.

There is no doubt in my mind they have used steroids to get where they are.

I also have no doubt that baseball is not interested in stopping it. Homeruns sell tickets and that's what they want. Bigger players + smaller parks = 2x as many homeruns as 12 years ago.

BTW, did you notice how much smaller McGwire is now that he's been retired a couple years? I don't think someone who's been an athlete his entire life is going to just stop working out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. While I like McGuire as a person, he seems like a genuinely nice guy, he had to be on the juice. He pretty much admitted it in a roundabout way in his testimony anyhow.

If you took Babe Ruth's cigars, drinking, and bad eating habits away and put him on a hard workout complete with the juice, he'd have put up a record that would be untouchable.

It doesn't really dishearten me because I can understand why these athletes might feel the pressure of the spotlight to maintain and/or increase their success. That doesn't necessarily make it right though, because these guys are supposed to be role models. One thing that does make me rather mad is people like Jose Canseco trying to capitalize financially off of the situation with his book.

[ QUOTE ]

McGwire was a big guy when he came out of college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at pictures of McGwire during his early years with the A's and then look at pictures of him with his years with the Cardinals, while he's chasing the single season record. There is a very big difference between the two.

McGwire hit 49 in the "Juiced ball" year of 1987 in which 4458 HR's were hit. There were 3813 hit in 1986, and 3180 in 1988. The 1987 record wouldn't be broken until 1996 when there were 4962. McGwire hit 52 that year.

McGwire didn't get those huge arms until the mid/late 90's. Before then he was lanky. He was also plagued by injuries and spent more time rehabbing than trying to get bigger. The latter part of his career was mostly injury free so he was able to intensify (with the help of steroids) his workouts. That's when he got bigger.

Well we'll never know for sure if he did or not...but I watched his testimony before congress and he seemed to do a pretty good job of incriminating himself. At least that's how I saw it.

Oh please, find me a picture of Mcgwire when he was ever fat, or becoming fat..he was never fat..he gradually over a short span..went from a body size of someone like Derek Jeter to a body like Ray Lewis. With the help of steroids.

McGuire didn't come out and emphatically deny taking steroids though. Did you even see any of the footage from his testimony? He said something to the extent that he didn't want to talk about "the past." If that isn't self-incriminating, I really don't know what is.

That being said, I still think McGuire is a better guy than Bonds. Bonds is too cocky and arrogant, he juiced and he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him. I'd rather see McGuire or Sosa still hold the record myself.