How Is James Monroe Looking in 2005?

Sources

Haven't heard much so far. I did hear that we would maybe have a QB under center this year. Haven't been able to confirm yet. This could be because we have a pretty good QB coming up this year. Will wait and see. I hope so anyway........

We passed the ball well that game. Spaz just was in a rhythm and Crow as catching everything thrown near him. I'd like for you guys to make the return trip this season for sure. I'm hoping Weir doens't have to travel at all in the playoffs other than to the Island, if they play well enough to get that far.

I'm interested to see if the Mavs abandon the single wing offense this year or what. If given the right amount of time and if the coaches teach it well, you guys could find success with it.

The single wing is all in the blocking. If it is all executed well, it is hard to defend. Its defenately 1 demensional but there is just enough variety to keep the defense off gaurd. If the line coach is good, and the line does their job, JM will have the same success that Giles has had. Under Ragsdales 26 years they are 221-85-2 with 22 winning seasons,2 losing seasons, and 3 5-5 years. 2 state championships, 1 runner up, 8 regional titles, and 12 district championships. Never used a Quarterback once. Just plain old hard nosed single wing football. JM really has a good oportunity here to build on a unique offense. They dominated everyone last year except for the 2 teams that would have beaten them even if JM ran a spread. Same thing happened to Giles in the semis. They just ran into better athletes.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think JM has the athletes to run that offense. They just need to line up in a norman I formation and run the ball w/ the occasional play action pass, nothing too complicated. IMO, they would be much more successful running a simpler style of offense.

Really hard to tell right now. JM went through some really bizarre off the field issues at the end of last season that ended the season with a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Hopefully, their better for it, and can use that as motivation for the this year.

As for the controversial single wing, from what I've been hearing from a couple of Mav players, it's not going to be used much this year. I really haven't got much faith in it anymore. After a total of 8 points against Bluefield in 2 games, and 2 playoff losses of 46-20, and 63-22, not to mention the near upset loss to Liberty, 12-10, and only leading Narrows @ home 7-6 at the end of 3 quarters, Witt has understandably been getting some pressure. I don't care who you are, or what the scheme is, eventually, you're going to run into someone that you have to pass on to move the ball. Simply put, James Monroe hasn't been able to do that recently, especially last season. I know I've speculated for a long time time the Mavs' lack of pass coverage is a direct result of not having to practice against the pass during the week.

It's nice to hear from the crowd at Weir. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a second meeting. I know you guys had a rough ending too. Hopefully next time both teams are playing with there A game. I have little doubt that Weir was at least 2 TDs better than JM, but I imagine the game would've been much closer if it were played under normal circumstances.

I'll know a lot more after I watch a practice or 2 next month.

But the reason you only lead 7-6 after 3 quarters last year wasn't because of the single wing. It the lack of execution on the line and also from Narrows controling the clock when they had the football. The weak side of the d-line for JM was very weak by their own standards.

Another question off topic though. Does JM plan on adding Giles back into the regular season schedule in the future? It's always nice to get a gate like that.

Haven't heard anything about adding Giles back to the schedule. JM has had good success against Giles in the past. If you could keep the fans in line it would be okay. When these two teams get together, it can get pretty wild........