Cat got your Tongues

JuiceDawg

20 years ago, Tazewell was a middle of the road team in the SWD...V-High, Abingdon, Richlands, and John Battle were the class of the SWD. Tazewell was no better than Gate City, Patrick Henry, and Lebanon. Graham, Marion, and Grundy were still in the basement.

As a matter of fact, the years I played baseball for Graham, we were .500 vs. Tazewell in baseball and we were BAD at best!!! The best win against them was my sophomore year when we beat them in the Semifinals of the Coppinger tournament. We came back from a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2 in the seventh inning. I still have a scare on my elbow from where I caught it on the corner of home plate while sliding in with the game tying run, just beating the tag...it was a good slide that did it, the throw was up the line a bit but on time to get me...I went inside the catcher sliding sideways reaching back for the plate, he just missed the tag. That game was also my "big break" in high school baseball as I replaced our starting second baseman who dislocated two fingers when he dove head first into second early in the game...I started every game the rest of my high school career.

That was back when the Coppinger tournament was a "real" tournament having between 24 and 32 teams that were bracketed, instead of this "round-robin" crap they play with eight teams now. Does anyone else remember that?

Tazewell's "dominance" of the SWD didn't start until after the Highlands teams broke away. Even then, they were still "middle of the pack" for the first few seasons ('86-'88)...Richlands, Lebanon, and even Graham for a couple of seasons beat the 'Dogs on a regular basis. Tazewell didn't become the "Top Dogs" until the Wagner-era around 1989-1990.

Coach Lou, who I respect VERY MUCH, did everything he needed to to build Tazewell into a very good program. Tazewell was also fortunate to have lots of financial help from parents and alumni who had DEEP POCKETS. You can't deny that Tazewell has the best baseball program in the SWD and they should because of all the time and effort put into to it by everyone involved. If they "talk big" sometimes, they have every right to until the other schools prove them wrong...

I'll give ya that one. Tazewell has only been dominate since around 88 or 89. Almost 20 years. Hell Billy Wagner graduated in 1990. Thats been at least 15 years of dominance. Also let us not forget that when the G-man went to school they very rarely...if ever, beat Tazewell in football. (had to get that jab in gman)

[ QUOTE ]

I'll give ya that one. Tazewell has only been dominate since around 88 or 89. Almost 20 years. Hell Billy Wagner graduated in 1990. Thats been at least 15 years of dominance. Also let us not forget that when the G-man went to school they very rarely...if ever, beat Tazewell in football. (had to get that jab in gman)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so fast fatboy!!! If I recall correctly, we played Tazewell 5 times while I was at Graham...with Graham winning three times (13-0, 6-3, 20-11) and Tazewell twice (13-6 and 7-6). If that's "very rarely", I guess that "winning streak" from '89 to '99 was just an ocassional victory for Graham...

Also I failed to mention this in regards to SWD baseball back when I played...my soph. year, V-High won the AA State Championship, my junior year, Abingdon lost in the AA State Championship game, and my senior year, V-High lost in the AA State Championship game.

The SWD WAS the dominant district in high school baseball back then. In the six years from '81 -'86, a SWD team played in the State Championship game five times.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so fast fatboy!!! If I recall correctly, we played Tazewell 5 times while I was at Graham...with Graham winning three times (13-0, 6-3, 20-11) and Tazewell twice (13-6 and 7-6). If that's "very rarely", I guess that "winning streak" from '89 to '99 was just an ocassional victory for Graham...

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times did you beat Tazewell when YOU were actually playing? I know you didnt play in 81 any if you did it was in mop up time.

[ QUOTE ]

I was at Graham '81-'82, '82-'83, '83-'84, and '84-'85...you figure it out...3-2...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh....ive figured it out. So the question still stands....how may times did you beat tazewell when you were actually a starter?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Not so fast fatboy!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

goodness someones gonna get their feelings hurt if you guys arent careful!!! smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, sometimes the truth does hurt...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Not so fast fatboy!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

goodness someones gonna get their feelings hurt if you guys arent careful!!! smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, sometimes the truth does hurt...

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel your pain Gman. One day you will lose the weight and win an arguement with your old nemisis the "Tidbit"! tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...