piedmont topics

mhsalum

to respond to the post below about the beef of the martinsville players....if everyone comes out or is eligible that should be there, the bulldogs will be huge on the lines. they should go 9 or 10 deep that way as well. and many of those kids will still be sophs and juniors. the qb (quan beamer) will be a 4-year starter if he doesn't get usurped by a heck of an athlete that'll be a rising junior (tracy hairston). there will be a multitude of diff't options with size, strength and speed in the backfield (including a region iv wrestling champ, allen shelton). and our 6'5 target at wideout (jervis wimbush) is also back. i believe he was also the all region punter a year ago. this seems to be the year we've been waiting for during our recent rebuilding and "down turn" years of late. however, with the move back to division 4...who knows? we shall see

i don't know if anyone in the state lost as much as bassett did "statistics-wise"...out of bhs's 514 carries for 2989 yards and 27 TDs a year ago, only 10 carries for 37 yards and 1 TD returns. of the 26 catches for 418 yards, only 2 catches for 33 yards returns. most importantly they lost brandon dillard at qb, an all-state caliber track guy who was a threat to go to the house on every snap...and they also lost a beast in the backfield and on the defensive line in chaunson ross.....they do return some keys cogs on their defense (mccall, covington and johnson are all major players) they also had a good year in the jayvee ranks a season ago, but i'd say this squad shouldn't be nearly as good as last years version of the bengals.

Also alum, MV lost alot on the line but do return some good size up front along with all their starting backfield. They will miss the leadership of some good seniors( most notably the starting inside backers and their TE/QB) They will still be a factor in the Piedmont though. Also look at the non-district schedules of Mavahi, Bassett, and MV. Sure are going to be some good(and very difficult) non-district matchups. I know we play William Fleming,Franklin Co.,William Campbell,Reidsville,NC,& GW Danville. Can't say the Warriors are ducking anybody with that schedule. Hope we survive until district play starts!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's neat that MV will be playing Reidsville. I've watched the Rams and GW Danville go at it a couple of times and they were pretty evenly matched. I think GW won on the last play of the game last year. Reidsville has won several NC AA state championships recently and they take their football very seriously. They have a great website at www.reidsvillefootball.com . I feel MV will have their hands full with the Rams. It's good to hear Martinsville should be improved this year but winning the Piedmont and playing in Div. 4 will be tough to do.

Well with BigD4VT giving us a daily count down it's not hard to tell that the 2005 high school football season is not far off. I noticed Martinsville will be playing what appears to be a rather tough schedule with Graham and Gretna added to the schedule this season. Gretna is the VA AA Div.3 state champions but they lose their star QB which might give Bulldogs a chance at beating the Hawks. I assume Martinsville moved back to Div.4 because they picked up alot of Laurel Park students who didn't want to make the 30 minute ride to Magna Vista. I've been reading in the Mart. Bulletin that the city is considering reverting back to a town. If that happens then Henry Co. will have to take over the city school system. I just wonder how that might effect enrollments at MHS and how the districts would be redrawn for Bassett MV and MHS? I kind of hope the city will remain a city but I guess unemployment at over 10% and a shrinking tax base will be the determining factor. I'm just curious what some of you Piedmont District fans think of the situation? wink.gif