GW, Fort Chiswell, and Patrick County Scrimmage...

bigorange_66

I went and watched this scrimmage anxious to see what GW had this year..and I wasn't impressed. Their starting 2 runningbacks, Coy Mulhall and Joe Sisti, were not breakaway backs like they've had in the past and were actually quite slow. Derrick Davis was at QB and he never dropped straight back to pass..They pretty much done the same play-action bootleg play every time they wanted to pass..Davis was always looking to run before he throws it. When he is in the pocket though, he's not that great of a passer. He forced a lot of passes when there wasn't room to run and threw a interception. Their line is only average. The defense however, was very fast and very good. But overall I wasn't impressed with the team that everybody is saying will win the Hogoheegee district. I know it's just a scrimmage and they will get better, but I thought they'd be a lot better than that.

I think you saw exactly what I saw. The defense was strong and that is without Davis playing a single down. The offense has its work cut out for it and needs to find its timing. I have to give Fort Chiswell some credit for their defense though. They usually start strong and then give out and GW takes off. FC played hard all night. Davis is electric but I am not sure that he is being utilized in a way that would best showcase his talent. He is a great open field runner but just isn't a pocket passer.