2 older bluefield graham photos,

buzzsawBeaver

I remember all of these players, but especially Wilkes. He went on to play college ball at Appalchian State where he excelled. Got drafted by the Giants during their Super Bowl years and was a back up to Mark Bavaro at tight end, before he decided to give up football.

Wilkes did have a lot of potential for the pros in my opinion. In high school his potential wasn't quite realized because he didn't play his 10th and 11th grade seasons, his bro robert did all 3 seasons though, but anyhow that was before the free weight days and before there was much emphasis in off season lifting so it wasn't until college that he really filled out to his physical potential.

None the less I recall when he drug most of the richlands team down the sideline with him after a pass reception. And he also made the big 2 point conversion reception from jay sims in the big pc comeback that season.

He's a nice guy for certain as is robert.

Awesome stuff, Buzzsaw!

When I would ride the bus to school (jr. high and then sophmore year some), I'd catch the bus in front of Tim Deskins' house. And Steve Wilkes...he was a heck of a basketball player too...wasn't he about 6'4" or 6'5"? And, I remember him to be a pretty nice guy, too.