Gate City vs. Richlands........

parsons

[ QUOTE ]

should be an interesting game.......would like hear reasons either team wins.......

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this one...Richlands has the better team this year...

Personally, I believe that Richlands should be the favored team on Friday night, primarily because its a home game and Richlands is a very difficult environment in which to play. In addition, given GC's luck in winning last year at Legion Field over what I felt was a superior Tornado team, you have to expect Lady Luck to favor the Blue. Finally, given the teams different performances against Christiansburg and Pulaski County in the preseason, one would have to conclude that RHS has the better squad.

However, having stated that, I think it a big mistake to overlook the Devils. The Tornadoes graduated more starters, at the skilled and line positions squad than GC. Sometimes, given chemistry, the team emerges stronger than before, but it also may mean that that GC may have a bit more experience. In addition, GC's performance against C'burg may be a bit misleading. They don't play a team that runs the deceptive Wing T offense, so they never practiced against it. They played a base defense, lost a starting linebacker and corner in the prior game, by my count played 23 different personal on defense and plainly were confused by the misdirection. Having played PV twice last season, they should have a better grasp on how to defense the spread, but we'll just have to wait and see. Personally, the play I fear most is the Tornadoes spreading us out and then running draws to Jennings, like Graham did on their score in the scrimmage at Patrick Henry.

I think, like in most games, it'll come down to the offensive and defensive lines. Whoever wins the battle in the trenches will win the game. Without a doubt, GC @ RHS will be the best game of the week and I can hardly wait till Friday night. Best of luck to both teams!!!

This is one of my favorite games of the year. I don't think scrimmage results, returning starters, ect. are going to matter much because I think these two teams always get up for each other no matter what. It should be a close game.

The Legend has returned! from a self imposed *hiatus!( get a thesarus.) I have just returned from a fulfilling trip to Tibet.....Spending time with the Dali himself and playing golf all summer at Shangri-La country club with the Swami (of ESPN fame) and Major Hoople. We spent all summer discussing all the idiosyncrasies of the game of football. (College/PRO/ and High School) The Swam and the Lama being great and knowledgeable fans of SWVA football, were talking about how folks were saying this was the year the SWD takes over top billing from the LPD for the first time in several years (since the addition of GC). My caddy Carl (Spackler, formerly head greenskeeper of Bushwood Country Club) and a friend of the Lama himself was remarking that maybe Richlands is the class of D3...then again he said Judge Smails never thought much about Concord DeLasalle before 1989, and we all know how that turned out wink.gif Swami said that one should never underestimate the GC tradition come game time, and the GC staff is notorious for looking a bit.....Ahem.......conservative in scrimmages and such that it is sometimes hard to read them in preseason. Hoop brought up the point that the last several meetings between the Devils and Tornadoes have been very good games, with the 28-0 and 42-14 being actually closer games than the scores indicated. My take is that since i can only base opinions on last years teams and their losses.....GC lost the power running game to C-N and Richlands graduated quite a few kids, it is time for a new bunch to shine. I really do think it is the year the SWD steps up to the front again, from all reports Graham is improved, Richlands is looking good, and Grundy and Tazwell have some talent back. PV is definately down from last year as is Lebanon. GC has to step up the intensity! Region D is probably more up for grabs than anytime since 99!

My pick for the week is Richlands 20 GC 13

Bluefield 16 Graham 14

Tazwell 20 G.Wythe 14

Powell Valley 35 Lee 28

Christiansburg 49 Radford 12

Appalachia 24 Rye Cove 22

J.I.B. 28 Castlewood 12

Grundy 26 Clintwood 6

Honaker 17 Lebanon 7

Patrick Henry 20 JJK 6

Pound 39 Ervinton 6

Twin Spring 20 Coeburn 18

Carrol Co. 16 Floyd 10

The LPD board has a lot picking GC by 10 or more? Where the hell do you see that? I went through the entire picking panel thread as well as others mentioning the game and there was only one person picking Gate City over Richlands by 10 or more and he said 20-10 Gate City. If you would actually read the link below, you'd see that most people are picking the Blues and in a big way.

http://www.hostboard.com/LDPforum/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LDP&Number=194935&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

Just trying to stir the pot or wanting some locker room fodder? If either team can't get up for this one, something's amiss. Could you try to be more factual with your statements in the future, it would be much appreciated by all.

Uhhh man what are ya basing that on??????

I just did a rundown on the picks for GC vs. Richlands over on the LPD forum and 25 folks have picked Richlands to win with the most lopsided being 44-8 and most favoring the tornado by at least 2 td's.

12 folks picked the Devils (the majority GC fans smirk.gif) and the largest margin was 10 (GC fan)but most were 6 or less. Soooo don't give us the no respect thing.

Did you happen to author an article in a french newspaper today about Lance Armstrong? Just about as many facts in that one! blush.gif

uum...from my perspective one picking gc by 10 is awhole lot more than rational thought should allow...so in that sense, one is ALOT.......and the fact that others have them winning by smaller margins....well, i realize sometimes the heart overwhelms the brain...... confused.gif

Don't worry about it man i totally understand.

Just don't base too much on scrimmage results....GC looked bad in scrimmages in 2002 and blitzed everyone.

I, of course, am not comparing this years team and that one, or any others. Just know that GC will arrive and play very hard as usual.

you are right ........preseason has to be taken with a grain of salt.....although a lot of teams prospects are analyzed from them......its all we have til the games commence....can gate city win???.......without a doubt......will they win confused.gif.....not so sure that probability is real strong tongue.gif

Could one of yas post an offensive and defensive lineup for the Blues, including heights and weights if available, since the Bristol football issue neglected to do so? I'll be happy to respond with one for the Devils if anyone is interested.

My vote goes to the Gate City Bluedevils. Gate City is a soild team with the muster to get the job done in situations such as this where some see them as the underdog against a team such as Richlands. For those who pick Richlands --- I'm afriad your in for an upset. Things and Dreams happen, but though Richlands is tough (not to take away from them by any means), Gate City has the drive this year in the "ole Pigskin heart" that will see them through to the end. Good luck to both teams in what will be a hard hitting, if not, game of the week in my book! Get-ur-done!

Posted In Kingsport Times News.

Last Week: This is the season opener for both teams.

Last Year: Gate City beat Richlands 28-21 in overtime.

Outlook: Gate City opens the 2005 slate as the underdog. A lot of preseason hype comes attached to the Blue Tornado, whom the Blue Devils found to be plenty challenging in 2004. The Group AA Blues are apparently using two talented QBs - Austin Fuller and Justin McCracken - running a spread set that is not entirely unlike Powell Valley's offense. Richlands tailback Caleb Jennings is capable of breaking free for big gains. Smarting from a roughing-up in last week's scrimmage against Christiansburg, the Blue Devils have put their shoulders to the wheel in practice this week. "We found a lot of places we needed to do work," said Gate City coach Nick Colobro. "We've tried to correct some of those mistakes. I don't know if we can do it in a week or not." Adam Price starts at QB for the Blue Devils. TB Tyler Parks looks to build on last year's impressive carries as a back-up. Whether as a RB or a WR or even at QB, Josh Castle lends his versatile talents to the offense.

My vote still goes to GC Bluedevils! wink.gif

Lol I have 516 posts on there and I only have two stars. To get rated high by people on that board you have to start topics that people usually find of great interest and get a lot of discussion from and give opinions about stuff that sparks more conversation whether agreed with or disagreed with by others. There are people on there with 2000 posts that only have like 1 star haha.

How did I drop from 3 stars to 2 stars on this board???

QB JUSTIN McCRACKEN 6-3 200

TB CALEB JENNINGS 5-7 150

FB JARRYD HARRISON 5-11 205

WR ROB STANTON 6-4 210

LT DEREK McKNIGHT 6-5 245

LG GARRETT ARMS 6-4 300

C SEAN MULLINS 6-1 230

RG CHASE FULLER 6-1 275

RT GREGG REYNOLDS 5-11 235

TE BRANDON GAYHEART 6-4 230

FL BRANDON SMITH 5-9 165

ARMS, GAYHEART AND STANTON HAVE THE INTEREST OF SEVERAL DIVISION 1 COLLEGES. ALSO, ALL THREE ARE HONOR ROLL OR DEAN LIST STUDENTS

I just want to tell all my Blues good luck tonight!! i cant wait to see how yall do tonight!! Ernie Hicks better be rockin tonight to start off the season to get these boys excited! ill be cheerin from the stands! frown.gif lol!!! Play hard boys!!!