Grundy vs. Clintwood

Lance

Grundy looked as bad as I have ever seen any team look in HS football...it was that bad.

They didn't tackle, didn't block, couldn't pass, couldn't run and fumbled or threw INT's every chance they got....the only bright spot was Garon's kick off return for a 91 yard TD. Even with the cast he looked great..probably had close to 50 yards on about 5 carries.

Bronson fumbled twice, Theo threw a couple of INT's, and Baker fumbled once or twice....it was ugly.

I felt bad for Theo, every time he threw the ball he was killed...no blocking at all...on defense the ends didn't have containment at all, Ashby didn't hit anyone all night only leaned a shoulder forward a few times or wave tackled the ball carrier on the way by....Bronson did look good on D, made several nice plays or the score would have been worse.

The play calling was horrible...Garon would get a couple of carries and get a first down..you would think ok here comes the run game finally...but no...Grundy tried to force the air game all night...and it wasnt there..they run the same 3 or 4 pass plays they have run for the past few years and the DB's were sitting waiting on the spot for the ball...they ran the routes better than the Grundy WR's...no lie.

Grundy had better figure out fast to feed the ball to Garon...I can't believe they only gave him a few carries...and hey here's a clue for you guys calling the plays...when you have 2 min left and are throwing the ball, take your best player who is playing with a broken arm OUT...real smart leaving him in to block...would have been great to lose him for the year in a game you were down by 30+ with 2 min left...real smart.

Play calling sucked...stop trying to force the air game and run the damn ball and it will open up the air game...and get some new pass plays because the same 3 or 4 are not going to work anymore...everyone is sitting on them waiting for the ball to come down...thought maybe they figured that out at the end of last year, but I guess not. Also, way to run that SAME pass on the first play of the game that Grundy always runs, someone will take that the other way sooner or later if you keep running it...offense is to predictable.

Hats off to the defense who was on the field all night...they did a decent job considering...score could have been a lot worse.

Going to be a long year if they don't make some adjustments fast and change up the play calling...

Nice Post man... I guess you dont have anyone playing on that team(family relation) lol...

It's good to see someone thats not afraid to be somewhat critical about issues that need to be addressed to make the team better. Even though your not a coach.. You can tell you know your football..

Right now, i can see why the hush hush was.. and Coach Rowe was correct in the Newspaper saying "we're not where we want to be at this Point".

Garon plays with alot of heart... I think maybe they were thinking about giving him some carrys to keep it close.. but then they mighta been afraid of loosing him for the season.. i cant figure leaving him in when the game was practically over? I'm sure theres reasons for all decisions, thats why i dont get paid the big bucks or get interviewed by sports reporters!! lol

All being said... again nice post! I'm also interested in hearing from Jmarcum.. He has some great analysis of the games..

excuses? where do you see excuses? all I said was what happened last night...if you want to call a lack of basic football skills across the board an excuse then so be it...these guys simply didn't tackle or do anything that gave them a chance to win the game...I read Coach Rowe's quote in Lloyd's article this morning and he said the same things.

The thing that concerns me most about last night is the play calling...they only had one thing going last night and that was Garon and they didn't get him the ball...he was avg 5+ per carry (9 for 48) after a 90 yard kick off return for a TD and looked like he had it going but they never consistantly gave him the ball...it would be 1st down and they would try to pass and lose 3 yards, then Garon would run 1 or 2 times and pick up a first down and get some yardage and they would go to 2 pass plays and try to run Bronson or Baker and they would either fumble or go 3 and out or throw an INT and that's just the truth...I just felt they should have ran Garon until someone stopped him...if they were worried about his arm then they (1) should not have dressed him and (2) should not have had him in blocking down by 30+ with 2 min to go.

That's just my opinion...I post the good and the bad and what I think...sorry if it upsets some of you...but life is not always roses and it was an ugly 44-15 beating.

I like the Grundy coaches...I think they have done a great job...I have nothing but respect for Coach Plymal and Coach Rowe...but the play calling was just horrible last night. I know it's just the first game and it's a new team but they looked really really bad last night...Ashby in particular has to start wrapping up when he tries to tackle, he was bouncing off of people all night...and on the other side of the ball he let a kid that was about 5ft 9 school him...he's 6ft + and can out jump about anyone on that team...go up and get the ball, don't wait on it to come down...no way that DB should have been able to cover him like that.

Like I said...one good thing was Bronson on Defense though...he looked pretty good out there considering. He showed something last night and I think that's something they can build around.

I'm sure they all learned a lot and after a few games they'll start to gel, but they have some basics to fix before that will happen...they'll have to tackle better.

Again.. a good post.. I wasnt meaning you were making any excuses, whatsoever... for what went on last night in the game.. lol... You was telling it right! The good and the bad (only good I saw was Bronson)..

I wonder sometimes if the coaches are'nt trying to keep everyone happy... The QB has to throw to get his numbers.. cause he cant run it! then you have the other guys that have to have touches or they and their parents get disgruntled.. thats life and coaches have to deal with it.. Sometimes it costs the team... Now get me straight.. i'm not covering for any discisions tahts being made.. and i"m glad i'm not!! lol..

Right now i think get garon healed up.. work on tackling.. blocking.. and that will make a big difference..

Next week i'll say, "should" be a confidence builder... Then, the tests will begin...

To be honest I don't think they do anything to try to keep anyone happy...I think they do what they think will win games...I just don't agree with trying to establish the passing game first and in HS ball you don't have to go to the air when you get down by 3 scores...stick with the run (esp if it's all you can get going) and try to open up the air that way to keep the D honest.

I know the coaches have to deal with parents and all that but I don't think the Grundy coaches let that factor in to what they do...they have been there to long to worry about what people think and they will do what they have to at the end of the day regardless of what anyone else thinks or says...which is a good thing...look at Tazewell a few years back and you'll see what happens when politics make your on field decisions....lucky for them I don't think Wyatt will let that happen and maybe they learned something last go around...so nuff said about that.

Point is that you have a back that can score on any play from any point on the field if he just gets one good block and a lane to run in...use him.

As for next week, it doesn't matter who you play if you don't tackle...and that was the big problem...they have to start hitting and wrapping up...if not they will get beat again next week just as bad...and the line has to give theo some time to set up and throw the ball.

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't agree with trying to establish the passing game first and in HS ball you don't have to go to the air when you get down by 3 scores...stick with the run (esp if it's all you can get going) and try to open up the air that way to keep the D honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree 110% on that, a team can't go all "fun-n-gun" like that all the time, no matter how big the deficit is, and really expect to get anywhere.

I work Friday nights now, so I didn't get to make it in for the game. I was pretty shocked when I heard the outcome, geez. By the sounds of it, Lance, it sounds like this game looked like a scrimmage, except unfortunately it counts in the loss column.

I might try to get the night off and make the trip up to KY to see next week's game. I hope some necessary adjustments are made for next week's game (translation: give Marcum the damn ball).

[ QUOTE ]

they run the same 3 or 4 pass plays they have run for the past few years and the DB's were sitting waiting on the spot for the ball...they ran the routes better than the Grundy WR's...no lie.

[/ QUOTE ]

grundypassplays.jpg