little league

randym

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

richlands midget league is going strong in football.we have around 300 kids in he league. we also added tazewell this season to our league, glad to have the dawgs youth football league.

richlands midget league football

5 - smurf teams ages 4-7

5 - peewee teams ages 8-10

5 - midget teams ages 11-13

tazewell football

3 - smurf teams

2 - peewee teams

2 - midget teams

grin.gif

Well Mayor, I was forced root against my Tide team the other night when the Raven and Cedar Bluff smurf teams got together. My nephew plays for the Blue Devils so I had to pull for him. The Devils won the game 24-0 behind a dominating performance by a little guy named Cody Stallard. He had at least 200 yards rushing + 2 or 3 touchdowns. He made pretty much every tackle on defense too. If you get a chance to watch these smurfs, look for #88 of Cedar Bluff. He's going to dominate the SWD in about 10 years.

Yeah that reminds me, this will be the 2nd Saturday in a row I'll have to miss the Tech game to watch my nephew. Guess I should have thought a little more when I said "I'm going to all your games."

Sorry guys I didnt get to reply sooner,I am the smurf coach for the bluedevils.Cody Stallard is a speed demon,#7 Cody Helton is a monster,Appreciate you guys going out and supporting them.

thanks guys for blowing up our midget football league.

we have got a good thing going here. i said in earlier post this year that rhs football is very bright. all you guys come & watch for yourself.

come out & support your future big blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

richlands midget league football

5 - smurf teams ages 4-7

5 - peewee teams ages 8-10

5 - midget teams ages 11-13

[/ QUOTE ]

When did this split between smurf/peewee/midget take place? It's a good thing, mind you. Back in the day when I played, the regulations were pretty fast and loose. I don't remember there being a minimum age and I believe the "maximum" was only that you couldn't play past 6th grade. In limited circumstances, this meant that you could conceivably have a single team ranging from toddlers to 20 year olds. (And I'm not exaggerating a whole lot here.)

It was still fun, though. As a former Blue Devil and Green Wave myself (I switched after sitting out for a year -- one of the other "rules" at the time), let me give a shout out to my Richlands midget league peeps from the early '80s.

I played at the same time as you but I remember two seperate teams, midget and pee-wee. I also remember 6th grade being the "maximum" but you couldn't be over 13 years old. I played two years for the now defunct Redskins and one for Raven.

[ QUOTE ]

I played at the same time as you but I remember two seperate teams, midget and pee-wee. I also remember 6th grade being the "maximum" but you couldn't be over 13 years old. I played two years for the now defunct Redskins and one for Raven.

[/ QUOTE ]

My last year of midget league was 1982. Played for the mighty Green Wave team that went 0-7-3 (along with another poster on this board). There was no distinction between midget and pee-wee that season, although we usually got the younger guys in the games during the last quarter.

We weren't a great team (as evidenced by our record), but we did play a great second game against Baptist Valley -- who won the championship that season, if I'm not mistaken. They beat us 48-0 the first time. Second time around we came up short in a classic struggle by a score of 8 to 6.

That experience is something that the Blues might keep in mind as they roll along this year. They're probably going to have to beat a good team twice to win the region, and that could be a tall order.

I played for Raven in 1981 and we went 6-4 after starting 2-3. Baptist Valley was the only team to beat us in the second half of the season, and the only one to beat us twice.

I agree the Blues will probably have to beat someone like Graham or Tazewell twice. It's not an easy thing to do and is the reason I wanted them to remain in D-4.

Haha I used to play in the Tazewell Little League. We had alot of teams back then. I played for the Jets after my team at Springville got basically deleted from the teams. But we used to rock! Haha I remember guys like Jake Evans, Adam Evans, Carr Blackenship those were a bunch of the guys on my teams. I wish I could come out and watch some of those little league games.

The one guy I remember from Cedar Bluff was #77. When we played them my coach moved me from RT to LT to block him because he was getting about 20 tackles a game. I was so proud that he only got one tackle that night grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone remember who "speedy" was for Cedar Bluff? I played one year with him on the team, but to be honest I don't think I ever knew his real name? Richlands Alum...got any answers?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be Stevie Campbell. And that specific season would've been 1980, if I'm not mistaken.

89, if you were a Blue Devil that season, then you qualify as the second poster on this board that I played with. I played left guard on the "little guy" squad that year.

[ QUOTE ]

The one guy I remember from Cedar Bluff was #77. When we played them my coach moved me from RT to LT to block him because he was getting about 20 tackles a game. I was so proud that he only got one tackle that night

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would've been Jeff Witt. He was a heckuva player.

During my season with the Green Wave (1982), I did experience the joy of being assigned to block Ernie Newberry when we played the Tide. That assignment only lasted about two series of downs before coach decided it was better to team-block him. shocked.gif