Powell has torn cartilage in his knee, out 6 weeks

beano5

the word i heard from a close team source... they think it's bad. but that was speculation on Friday night because of the tests they did on his knee on the sideline. but that was last night, and who knows how it is today. and again - PURELY SPECULATION from the sidelines without x-rays or MRI. PT could tell ya.

[ QUOTE ]

Well I hate to say it but this injury is alot more serious then we all think now... frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't what I was told by someone inside the program. He had to have fluid drained from the knee, but that "he should be fine." I don't think he'll play this week regardless.

To be honest, the initial injury "wasn't good". It was down-played quite a bit by both coaches, player, and parents. The "re-injury" probably finished off what was damaged initally. Probably shouldn't have been playing anyway and definitely shouldn't have been playing without his knee brace.

There's no way he should have stepped on the field without the knee brace. I would have told him that if he didn't wear the brace, he didn't play. Regardless, I just hope that the kid is healthy enough to play should be get onto the field again.

I just have flashbacks to the movie "Friday Night Lights" and the Bobbie Miles character from that movie. We all want Beaver to win games, but it isn't worth risking a kid's health over. And I'm not saying that anyone is doing that in this situation either. I'm just making a general statement.

As I suggested weeks ago, I'm skeptical about sports and recovering from inuries, athletes and coaches are competitors and they have the desire to be in the game, so it's easy to underestimate them or not respect them enough.

G man's likely correct about this re injury.

I would certainly agree with not playing again this season for the big scheme of recovery even it it;s a matter or bluefield in the playoffs or not, so be it. Athlete's health 1st.

Time will tell in this situation.

The doctors are going to go in and look at the knee using a camera to see the extent of any damage. Any possible damage is thought to be meniscus related. He could have to have the knee scoped depending on what they find out, which would put him out 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for the clarification.

[ QUOTE ]

A knee sleeve won't do it alone. He needed some sort of hinged brace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never saw him play with the brace on, but my understanding is that it was a hinged brace specially made for him...

[ QUOTE ]

I wasn't at the Graham/Bluefield game #2, but I am hoping that his injury wasn't a dirty play or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was far from being a "dirty play". Powell took off up the sidelines (Bluefield's sidelines) and there was a big pile up about 15 yards downfield...didn't look too bad but he was in immediate pain when it happened.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I wasn't at the Graham/Bluefield game #2, but I am hoping that his injury wasn't a dirty play or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was far from being a "dirty play". Powell took off up the sidelines (Bluefield's sidelines) and there was a big pile up about 15 yards downfield...didn't look too bad but he was in immediate pain when it happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ONLY thing dirty about that play was the horrendously late flag that brought the play back. But to hear the Graham people talk the refs were only cheating them. Truth of the matter was a very poorly officiated game on both sides.

Hope JT is okay and gets back real quick.

yeah - even the newspaper on the day after pointed out the fact that it was a very late flag. how can you call offsides or motion or whatever the pre-play flag was, after the play is dead? i saw some bad ones called against Graham, and i saw 'em called against us as well.

Must agree...one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen...bad calls both ways...late calls both ways...and there really should be a "weight limit" on officials...first time I've ever seen "blocking below the knees" signaled by the hands hitting mid-belly on that fat-arse white cap...he kinda reminded me of the fat official in The Waterboy that Bobby had to call timeout for in order to provide him with some high-quality H2O....

I have to agree, I have never seen an official pull his flag for Illegal Procedure and then wait to see how the play went before the flag was thrown.

Usually when they only have six on the line, or a lineman leaves early, the flag is thrown immediately and not after the play is over.

I was on the sideline there where the coaches and refs were on that play, the complaint was that the official on the opposite side of the field, not even responsible for the side cited, was responsible for the flag. The ref watching that side didn't not flag the play. The play should not have been a penalty.