about the Coal Classic

RenegadeFan

for those Bluefield folks that check out BR's site and have seen my post questioning the Coal Classic, well i've found Westside will not be praticipating in the Classic this yr, for the simple reason of Wyo. East being apart of it

Coach Hopkins doesnt wanna risk the chance of playing our sectional foes 4xs, we already have to face them 3x's and that might end up being 3x's to many, for it might cause us to get to familiar with one another

as i've said before this season Wyo. East will be no push over, i look for them to win 17-18 games if not more, and really anticipate a tougher game for this sectional than last yrs sectional

either way Coal Classic should be interesting with the likes of Bluefield, Wyo. East, Liberty ®, and Pikeview...i figure Bluefield and East should play each other for the AA title

if a way i'm very happy about WS's decision of pulling out of the classic, but in another way i'm disappointed cause i was really anticipating a possible match up with the Beavs

maybe at states huh?

anyways Westside has traded there two games at the Coal Classic, for two games with the Williamson Wolfpack

a home and away game

i'm not sure of what the Pack has to offer or even brings back this season, but i really look forward to playing them, maybe them and Westside will able to revive an old rivalry that "died" when Oceana closed

Oceana and Williamson put on some good clinics when they did face one another, it all got really heated up in 2001 as we played one another for the Single A title

then the following yr, just two explosive games between the two and then it just ended, but now through Westside the old battles between Jim Hopkins and Curtis Fletcher might get to revive themselves

also on a side night, talk about a pre season game of epic proportions

rumor is Westside the AA runner ups will be facing Huntington the AAA Champions in a week or two, should be a very interesting match as most teams Westside has been playing has had a hard time keeping up with them

i'm not saying Westside will win, but believe it will be a very good game!

• 4 weeks later...

The Coal Classic takes place at the Raleigh County Armory in Beckley at the end of January into early Feb. Teams from all around the country compete in the tournament including Oak Hill Academy, which will be making their 9th straight appearance in the event. This year OHA is led by Tar Heel signee and the #1 rated PG in the 2006 class, Tywon Lawson...

one a side note that really isnt that important, but still i like to point it out...lol

Westside won the AA division last season for the 3rd straight yr

they won it in 2003 (Westside 70/Tug Valley 58), 2004 (Westside 71/Sissonville 63), and last season (Westside 50/Winfield 49)

i was really look and hoping for a 2006 Westside/Bluefield title game matchup but guess its not to be

if only Wyo. East had not been involved in the Classic...lol...or maybe if had a WS/WE matchup took place it could have counted as one of the regular season match-ups cause as the cliche goes its hard to beat a good team 3 times and this is very true, but its even harder to beat a good team 4 times, so in the end it was WS who chooses to pull out, i just dont understand why Jimmy Justice would do such bookings but none the less

anyways best of luck to the beavs in the Coal Classic and as someone done and said maybe Westside/Blfd rematch can happen at States this coming season

another side note last season in the Single A division i believe it was Charleston Catholic who took the title home and in the girls division in AAA: Huntington and in AA/A: either Summers Co. or JM

[ QUOTE ]

Oak Hill also has #1 SF and #2 overall Kevin Durant who has committed to Texas...I went to 5 star camp with this guy and he is very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah....Durant transferred to Montrose Chistian during the summer to play for Stu Vetter.

Durant isnt the sharpest guy, didnt really have the grades. Pretty much why he went to Texas cuz he couldnt get into UNC with his bad grades.

Oak Hill does have Mike Beasley (top 5 for 2007, commit to Charlotte). Nolan Smith is pretty highly rated for 2007, too.

IIRC, Oak Hill is coming to VA High in the middle or end of January too. I think they're playing Blue Ridge Academy.

Word has been from those in the recruiting game that Durant wanted to commit to Carolina prior to his commitment to Texas. However, Roy Williams asked him to wait b/c of academics, but he didn't want to wait and pulled the trigger for Texas. And academics seems to be the reason he left OHA as well.

There's a lot of talk that Durant won't show up at Texas, that'll be prep for a year somewhere or play overseas then enter the NBA draft.

Pretty much spot on from everything I've read, BR. Pretty sad Roy turned down commits from Durant and Thaddeus Young (top 5 player in '06) and had Spencer Hawes (another top 5-10) VERY close to commiting while on his official. Still Roy reeled in arguably class 1a on the year with Ohio State being 1b.

Also, anyone not sure going to this tourney, I suggest going just to see Tywon Lawson. Before his game last nite his state line for the year (6 games) was like this...

21.7 ppg, 10.5 apg, 3.2 rpg, 5.8 spg, 61.6 fg% in just 22mpg.

Tywon also won MVP at the Junior National Olympics in France over the summer as Team USA won the Gold. That team was loaded with college talent even the like of Rudy Gay and Malik Hariston. Pretty impressive.

Anyone wants to watch free video, you should check out hssmtv.com. It has plenty of free video (none of Tywon yet) but of other top prospects in the country. One I would suggest in 2008 player Tyreke Evans....very impressive for just freshman video.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some quotes from Mr. Evans in an interview conducted over the weekend. Not much has changed with regards to his view of UNC...

[ QUOTE ]

"I love everything about them (UNC)," Evans said. "I have been a fan all of my life. From the history, to the playing style, to the coach, to the color of the jerseys, there's nobody else that I want to play for. If everything goes as planned, I will be at Carolina."

[/ QUOTE ]