The Bluefield/Weir thread....

beaverball

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like someone said last earlier, this one is going to be a classic guys!! I can't wait. Speaking of the weather, I didn't mind the snow two years ago, but I just hope it's not as cold as it was last year. I hope the fans are as loud as we were at Linside yesterday. All of us that has played the game, we know how a defense can feed off of the crowd.

"Im still not sure who weir has anyways. I know they have that good QB. But who else do they return thats a big playmaker. Dont they run pass or what?"

Weir does return 3 year starter Brandon Sperlazza at QB. However, they also have two RB's that went over 1,000 yards each before the end of the regular season in Corey Lyons and Josh Smith. They are both around 1,300-1,400 right now. Josh Smith(#33) played on last year's team and had over 100 yards against Bluefield along w/ Cooper's 150+ yards. Lyons played the first two games and then was ruled ineligible for the rest of the season and sat out the first two games of this season. They both are great RB's. Jason Gatto, Dawand Smith, and Jordan Taflan are Weir's best WR's. Gatto just broke the single season TD reception record of 14 at Weir formerly held by both Eric Turner and Jack Crow, who both play at WVU now. Gatto has 16 TD receptions if I'm not mistaken. Weir's defense is what is most impressive though. They held Wayne's RB Gary Roland to 11 net yards in the second half last week and under 100 yards for the game. It should be a good one in Wheeling and all of the Bluefield fans coming up, drive safely and good luck.

Weir's got too much talent to win it this year, and I'm not saying this to stir up trouble. You'd have to see their team to believe it, b/c Wayne didn't until we went down there and beat them at home by 15 and that was a good Wayne team. Weir is going to come out focused and I know for a fact they're not taking the Beavers lightly. I talked to most of my friends that are still on the team and they are definitely are going to come out ready to play.

anything can happen... Bluefield went to Wheeling 2 years ago with too much talent to lose. We were by far the best team in AA that year... we knew it, Poca knew it, everyone knew it. but guess what - we lost. the field conditions and some crazy ball bouncing completely out away from the play and right up into their guys hands made the difference in that game. you never know what can happen. i wouldn't be counting them chickens before they hatch. it'll play out on Friday night.

I will throw the prediction out

Bluefield 21

Weir 7

They will end there state dreams agian as we did in 97' when weir came to town with Q. Wilson and got stopped. They where Expecting a easy game.

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.hsconnect.com/sports/story/1128202005_spt04sports112805.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

FROM WEBSITE:

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield will go to its second straight state title game. The Beavers whipped Wayne, 69-24, last year to finish its perfect 14-0 year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is funny how they say its only the 2nd straight title game for bluefield

I still think this game is going to be a classic..I can't wait

Anyone wanna go to the community pep rally in the gym at Weir on thursday?? haha jk

But I think both teams are going to come out firing, and whoever can capitilize on each others mistakes will decide this one

"anything can happen... Bluefield went to Wheeling 2 years ago with too much talent to lose. We were by far the best

team in AA that year"

Whoa, you weren't "by far" the best team in the state that year. That was my senior season and we came down there and gave you all you wanted. Another time when we should have beaten you. We had you stopped in the first OT and it was 4th and goal from the 18, but our DB made a bad play on the ball and Perdue caught a pass in the back of the endzone. We went to the 2nd OT and fumbled the snap on the 2 yard line going in for a TD to tie it up. Eric Turner caught 3 TD passes and had 250+ yards receiving.

"They will end there state dreams agian as we did in 97' when weir came to town with Q. Wilson and got stopped. They where Expecting a easy game."

NOONE from Weirton were expecting an easy game. I was there and Bluefield's team was stacked that year. That 97 team was good, but already had 2 losses going into that game. Granted they were to two very good football teams in AAA Wheeling Park and Indian Creek(OH), but that wasn't Weir's best team of the 90's. They had a stacked team in 94 and lost to University High School in the semis on a last second pass. And you seem to forget we came back to go 14-0 and win it all in 1998 led by Q. IMO, that 98 team was the best AA team in WV's history. If they would have met up w/ the 97 Bluefield team, Weir would have come out w/ the win.

that game in '03 was another classic Bluefield / Weir game, but in my opinion... we had you all shut down. and when you got in a pinch, all you had to do was tell your QB to throw it as far as he could and Turner would run under it and catch it for 6. at least that's what it seemed like. you say your DB made a bad play - well, ours made bad ones all day long with Turner... with the exception of that interception in the endzone. Bluefield was the best team in the state, and Weir was second because of the best WR i've seen in high school (including that kid from Martinsburg last year). Poca shouldn't have had a chance against us that year... but not only did they have a chance - they won. that's all i'm saying... anything can happen.

and about the 97 Bluefield team vs the 98 Weir team... well, i'll have to disagree that Weir had the best AA team in history that year because that 97 Bluefield team was straight stacked across the line with all staters that went to play college ball. a lot of folks at the AAA title game said (after watching the AAA title game) that Bluefield was the best team in the state that year regardless of class. it'd be a fun debate - but that's all it could be - a debate. and some folks from East Bank would probably like to debate with both of us if we get into best AA team ever.

the thing about that '97 team is... a lot of people don't consider that to be the best Bluefield team of the 90's. some have said the '92 and '96 teams were the best of the 90's

Great teams step up and make plays when it counts, bottom line. Bluefield did that and has done so for the last four seasons, especially in their playoff match-ups with Weir. I know Bluefield fans have the utmost respect for Weir and their program but it seems several of their fans are adament about not giving us our proper dues, whether discussing past seasons or making remarks about Friday's game like they will beat us by several touchdowns. Absolute arrogance.

I hope you're not referring to me Sources. I don't think this game is already won for Weir. It's going to be a tough game, but I think Weir will win. It was 03 total, not 02. We threw to other receivers that game as well. Our passing game was just clicking. No offense, but your DB's didn't make bad plays against Turner. He just had them outmatched. He was a great WR in HS and is going to have a successful career at WVU. He and Barrett from Martinsburg are actually pretty good friends. They met at the North/South game when they were the two starting WR's. Anyways, about the bad play Crow made in the endzone, he timed his jump too early, and Perdue made a great catch. I think the past two years, Weir and Bluefield have been pretty evenly matched. As for the 97 Bluefield vs. 98 Weir, I will not back down from my opinion that the 98 Weir team would have won. Q was so much better his senior year than his junior year, and that's scary b/c he had an outstanding junior year. Plus, with the addition of All State WR Ryan Jeter who went out for football for the first time as a senior, WR Ricky Thomas, and QB Nick Galardi, that team was as solid as they come on both sides of the ball. It's sad that I know more about Bluefield than you do. Tynes was the only one to play major college football and that was at Marshall. Dews could have IMO and so could have Dissibio. I don't think Dews went anywhere. Dissibio was supposed to go D1 but he went to a prep school and I think he just gave up on football after awhile. Not all of that Bluefield team played college football, even though a lot of them could have.