Richlands and Liberty-Bedford Predictions

lee

I have looked at all the threads that have been posted on Richlands and Liberty and couldnt find a prediction thread so here im going to start it.

Liberty-20

Richlands-33

5 td's and 2 missed extra points

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats cool as soon as I sumitted and looked at the form OFISHE had a prediction. I'll change this a little bit still put your predictions if you want to.

I hope Alum is wrong too BigD...But, he does have the inside scoop on both teams, living in Bedford he could watch them at anytime. So, I would say out of anyone on this board, Alum would know L-B the best. I would listen to what he has to say about the Minutemen. I'm hoping like crazy for a RHS win, but it's gonna be tough.

[ QUOTE ]

I can't see that. Liberty has been beaten. Richlands hasn't. The Blues should be regarded as the favorite coming in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where you're coming from. Of course, that's the logic that made Virginia Tech a favorite against Miami.

Liberty's loss was to a team that was one questionable call away from being in the Division 4 semifinals. The Minutemen were also facing Amherst without the Seminole District defensive player of the year, and the offense just couldn't get going against the Lancers. Not making excuses at all here -- Amherst flat out whipped Liberty. But there is a difference between going 9-1 against teams like Amherst and Bassett and going undefeated against the likes of Grundy and Abingdon.

Losing to Amherst is probably the best thing that could've happened to Liberty. Since that game they've clicked off fairly easy wins against tough teams in Christiansburg and Cave Spring.

I'd really like to be wrong. But I think a lot of Richlands folks are making a HUGE mistake by underestimating Liberty. The Minutemen definitely have the ability to win this game straight up. Fact is that they are quicker than Richlands and they're just as big.

If RHS has an advantage, it's that Liberty knows next to nothing about them, and the Minutemen are assuming that they're going to win this game. That's the kind of leverage that the Blues need to use if they're going to come out on top.

I can't see Richlands winning if Bedford is anywhere near as nasty as they were my Freshman year. They won't try to spread it out and pass, they are just going to run it down your throat. They will line up double tight, maryland I and dare you to stop it, and they are probably the fastest team this side of the peninsula. Granted I haven't seen them play this year, if they are anywhere as talented as they were 3 years ago, then all roads go through Liberty...BTW, if they have a fullback like Chris Spinner, he will run over whomever, and burn the D backs. He was 6'3 250...and ran a 4.7 40...plain nasty...

On the flip side, Richlands might be able to find a honeyhole in Liberty's pass defense, and on special teams. This could be an interesting game. I'm going to have a hard time deciding between the deer stand, Ernie Hicks, or a single wing clinic at Haysi...

My prediction-

Liberty-16

Richlands-7

[ QUOTE ]

I can't see Richlands winning if Bedford is anywhere near as nasty as they were my Freshman year. They won't try to spread it out and pass, they are just going to run it down your throat. They will line up double tight, maryland I and dare you to stop it, and they are probably the fastest team this side of the peninsula. Granted I haven't seen them play this year, if they are anywhere as talented as they were 3 years ago, then all roads go through Liberty...BTW, if they have a fullback like Chris Spinner, he will run over whomever, and burn the D backs. He was 6'3 250...and ran a 4.7 40...plain nasty...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, they're more balanced on offense than they were in 2002 when they won the state title.

Guest old_school

Liberty is for real. The thing that scares me the most for Richlands is the size and speed that Liberty brings. To be some big guys they can fly to the ball on D. I think Richlands will have to air it out to win and that is always a chance in high school football. I'll say:

Liberty 20

Richlands 16

I have heard that Liberty is somewhat one-dimensional. If that is the case, I like Richlands's chances. I don't believe they have a horse like Spinner, but their backs are quick. I don't believe they are overly-powerful in the size department. I expect a close game, but I'm still going with the Blues.

[ QUOTE ]

Liberty is for real. The thing that scares me the most for Richlands is the size and speed that Liberty brings. To be some big guys they can fly to the ball on D. I think Richlands will have to air it out to win and that is always a chance in high school football. I'll say:

Liberty 20

Richlands 16

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep hearing about Liberty's size and speed but Richlands outweighs them on the line by 5-10 pounds per man and this is probably the fastest (and strongest) team the Blues have ever put on the field.

Liberty doesn't like to pass (or so I'm told) and they don't defend the pass well (as I'm also told). Richlands is a complete team. Every unit is strong and they have the weapons to do just about anything they want on offense. (as long as they avoid mistakes) Coach Mance has been a little conservative in recent games but the man isn't stupid. He keeps his cards close to the vest and (in my opinion) we'll see his hand Saturday. I believe all the concerns about playcalling and personel will make a lot more sense when this game is over.

Liberty does not have a balanced offense, they have thrown the ball 50 times this year. That is an average of 3 passes a game. It's going to be a good game, Jennings and Stanton are a little banged up, but will be ready Saturday. Liberty has a running back a little faster than Jennings, but Caleb Jennings has more heart than anybody in southwest va football. Can't wait till gameday; Richlands 21 Liberty 17

thier running back is from another part of va so he might be the caleb jennings of that area who knows only thing i know is that it will be a good game and it will come down to who wants it more and the coaching and i believe that our coaching staff can coach with any in the state because you dont win 2 straight regional championships and your coach cant coach, I just hope our team show up ready to play and go out their pumped up and we get our crowd into the game.

This game is also in Richlands, which I think will have some bearin' on the score. There's nothin' like havin' YOUR crowd and YOUR band there to fire you up for a game like this. I think this game will be a defensive struggle all the way. If Mance can call more than 6 plays and utilize the size he has, Richlands should have just enough to advance and play (probably, they're my pick) James Monroe for a state title.

Richlands: 7

Liberty-Bedford: 6

I'm telling you guys, Liberty is for real. We thought they would be a joke...didn't look that fast...etc. They spanked us. The Maryland I(Which I assume is still their main set)is nothing short of perfection when they run it. Once again, I haven't seen them play, and it is at Richlands, so it could be different. Trust me, they are for real.

I'm going to stand on my prediction though

Liberty-16

Richlands-7

I wish the best of luck for Richlands. They are a good football team. Liberty-Bedford has played a whole lot tougher schedule than Richlands. We will see how this game turns out. Should be a good one.

Liberty-Bedford-28

Richlands -21