VT and Florida State

Guest JJBrickface

I think the problem that VT has with the Florida teams is that they have better(faster) athletes. Beamer needs to keep the in-state talent at VT but he also needs to expand his recruiting into the south a little more. Bowden has shown that there are no depths too low to stoop when it comes to playing thugs and criminals. He has no discipline standards. VT may as well try to bring in some of the good guys from florida (if there are any). Its hard to compete with free shoes university and the miami felons (i mean hurricanes) when they always have the better athletes.

VT recruited Florida for until recently. Got a lot of great players from there but they also got burned by a few who committed to the Hokies early then backed out at the last minute. VT now has a stronghold on the Tidewater area of Virginia. That's their bread & Butter. Frank Beamer will never go to a nationwide recruiting philosophy because he wants to deal with coaches he's familiar with so he can trust their assessment of a kid's character.

good point BigD, i know that Beamer has said recently that florida is not going to be a high priority for them recruiting wise. maybe Beamer doesn't have to expand his recruiting base that far, but i dont think he can limit himself to just keeping the in-state talent and settle for a few decent out-of-state players. schools like fsu, miami, usc, texas, ohio st., etc. can win big with primarily in-state talent. virginia just doesn't have the population base for this to work. to go to the next level, Beamer may have to go into other states and try to sell the program. surely his recent success would help.

The focus is to get as many as they can of the top 25-30 in Virginia and fill the gaps out of state. They've recently moved into North Carolina and Georgia and have done well there. They continue to do well in Maryland and Ohio also. All together they actively recruit about 8-10 states but are willing to go anywhere if a player makes it know he's interested in them.

Guest JJBrickface

Yes Miami and Florida St are fast but VA Tech is also very fast. VT have problems in the big games, but there biggest problem is when they get down to a good team. You can kind of see them get unfocused. When the game doesn't gay their way they start complainging or getting fouls. I think that goes back to the undiscipline part, but overall I think VT has the athletes to compete with anyone.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the problem that VT has with the Florida teams is that they have better(faster) athletes. Beamer needs to keep the in-state talent at VT but he also needs to expand his recruiting into the south a little more. Bowden has shown that there are no depths too low to stoop when it comes to playing thugs and criminals. He has no discipline standards. VT may as well try to bring in some of the good guys from florida (if there are any). Its hard to compete with free shoes university and the miami felons (i mean hurricanes) when they always have the better athletes.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah Beamer has done a wonderful job in recriuting those angels like Mike "bringem young" Imoh, and Marcus"I like fourteen years and to drive while high " Vick, or Marcus "i needed to spice to my sex life"Parker,and how can we forget Jim "you don't want to give it to me then i'll take it" Drunkenmiller!!!!!!!!!!!!!Face it Fsu really like to abuse the Mexico's oops i mean Vick

In won't argue with you about Vick since that's a dead horse, but I think it's pretty widely known that the girl in the Druckenmiller case was a willing participant who wanted a piece of his signing bonus.

I want to make a comment about the way that Va Tech's players acted on the field Saturday. I seems to me that after every incomplete pass and run for zero or negative yardage there seems to be a set strategy by Beamer, his staff and the players, to influence the next call by the referees by whining and complaining. Is this a by design, or is Beamer just a whiney, complaining child who's sincerly pissed about not getting his way?

Bewteen the behavior of Tech's players, nearly 100 pass plays, 30 penalties, and however many call reviews, that game was almost unbearable to watch.

Speaking of call reviews...that two-point convertion was good, I can't believe it wasn't over turned. He clearly had had the ball under control as he fell out of bounds. Not that it really mattered cause they missed the next two-point convertion, but if they would have made the second, that could have changed the game completly.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I want to make a comment about the way that Va Tech's players acted on the field Saturday. I seems to me that after every incomplete pass and run for zero or negative yardage there seems to be a set strategy by Beamer, his staff and the players, to influence the next call by the referees by whining and complaining. Is this a by design, or is Beamer just a whiney, complaining child who's sincerly pissed about not getting his way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech has had this officiating crew 3 of the past 4 games this year, all of which had very questionable calls (i.e. Darryl Tapp hit to the head for an automatic first down, etc). Secondly, Virginia Tech is one of the least penalized teams in NCAA div 1 football, so that many fouls against VT is uncharacteristic. Finally, back to the complaining...Coach Beamer is one of the members of the Rules Committee. One of the requirements for the rules committee is an extensive knowledge of rules. I promise you that if Coach Beamer feels the need to argue with an official, he probably knows what he is talking about.

He isn't a child. He is just showing intensity and care for his team and players. If Coach Beamer is a child, then Joe-Pa is a baby...He chases the official up and down the field (and does so with speed for a man his age!).

Tech has had an awesome season with some bad games at terrible times. I don't think Florida State is the best team in the ACC-they were just the best when they needed to be. Week in, week out-Miami or Virginia Tech are the best teams in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that the players have taken on the persona of their coach.

Guest JJBrickface

I agree. Like I said before when things don't go their way then they start complaining. I don't know if its by design but I personally think its just from not being a disciplined team. I don't see nothing wrong with a coach arguing calls because that is part of their job in my opinion, however, no players have the right. I have seen VT play a little sketchy in the past. Does anyone remember last year in the Sugar Bowl when Cadillac Williams came out of the game because of his eye? Well when they showed the replay on tv you could see I think 2 VT players sticking their hands in his face mask, gouging at his eyes while they were on the ground. I know alot of crap goes on under the pile and stuff but incidents like that are just uncalled for.

And I remember a VT/WVU game in Morgantown back in 1997 when television cameras caught different WVU players on two plays twisting the ankle of Al Clark under the pile. Incidents like that happen everywhere unfortunately, and no schools, team, etc. is immune...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech has had this officiating crew 3 of the past 4 games this year, all of which had very questionable calls (i.e. Darryl Tapp hit to the head for an automatic first down, etc). Secondly, Virginia Tech is one of the least penalized teams in NCAA div 1 football, so that many fouls against VT is uncharacteristic. Finally, back to the complaining...Coach Beamer is one of the members of the Rules Committee. One of the requirements for the rules committee is an extensive knowledge of rules. I promise you that if Coach Beamer feels the need to argue with an official, he probably knows what he is talking about.

He isn't a child. He is just showing intensity and care for his team and players. If Coach Beamer is a child, then Joe-Pa is a baby...He chases the official up and down the field (and does so with speed for a man his age!).

Tech has had an awesome season with some bad games at terrible times. I don't think Florida State is the best team in the ACC-they were just the best when they needed to be. Week in, week out-Miami or Virginia Tech are the best teams in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that the players have taken on the persona of their coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

If any of Virginia Tech's players take the persona of Frank Beamer away with them when they graduate, then they are truly lucky human beings. I will agree that, at times, Virginia Tech was very undisciplined on Saturday night. Then again, they were able to discipline themselves enough to make 3 quarters of terrible football still good enough to put themselves in contention to win that football game. Virginia Tech is far from a dirty football TEAM - we may have dirty players, but as a whole, this team is a very classy bunch. The next time you get the chance, compare the number of times you see a VT player help someone up versus a VT player starting a fight, if that even happens. Sportsmanship is very much appreciated at VT, as it is at alot of other schools (FSU..hmm, maybe not so). Don't start pinning the whole bad sport thing on Frank Beamer-He doesn't deserve that. You can talk about a lack of discipline, and like I said, I agree with that to a point, but don't consider someone of Coach Beamer's caliber to be a "whiner" or "bad sport" - It just doesn't fit his character.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down, you're doing too much whining and complaining! (I guess the fans aren't immune either.) No one's accused anybody of dirty tactics or foul play.