I would just like to wish good luck to Richlands!

WeirFootball

I don't know too much about your team and only hear about it b/c I'm on here, but it seems like you play good football down there and are very supportive of your team. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you bring home the state title. Congrats on an already great season. Sounds like you got a great team!

Guys you all have done a great job this year and I am very proud of u. I know u all want to win and we will as long as we take it a play at a time and I wish the best of luck to you all and I will be there watching and praying for you all and hoping for the best!!!!! GOOD LUCK and BRING IT HOME BOYS!!!!!!

I'm not trying to stir up anything, but why doesn't Richlands play Bluefield? They seem like they have a great program like the Beavers do, so why doesn't Blufield pick them up so they don't have a 9 game schedule again? jw

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to stir up anything, but why doesn't Richlands play Bluefield?

[/ QUOTE ]

Way back in the day, it was because "Bluefield was too good for Richlands." (A direct quote from the late Stubby Currence in the Bluefield Daily Telegraph circa 1980.)

The two schools did play one another regularly from 1983 through the mid 1990s, but my recollection is that some bad feelings erupted over differences in officiating standards between WV and VA among other issues.

At this point in time, the potential series would probably mean more to Bluefield than it would to Richlands, particularly with regard to its impact on playoff ratings.

[ QUOTE ]

The two schools did play one another regularly from 1983 through the mid 1990s

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? I don't remember them playing in the early to mid eighties. They only had one non-district game in those days and used it to play Big Creek.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The two schools did play one another regularly from 1983 through the mid 1990s

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? I don't remember them playing in the early to mid eighties. They only had one non-district game in those days and used it to play Big Creek.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct that we used to play the Owls and that we only had one non-district game available from about 1970 to 1985. However, the last game against Big Creek was 1982. I remember it very well. It was played over there at War, Sandy Rogers had a big day, and the Blues prevailed by a score of 24-12.

Bluefield took the one non-district slot beginning in 1983 and stayed on the schedule every year at least through the time that I graduated (1989). Our win over them during the 1986 season is referenced in the yearbook as the "first ever" victory for Richlands over Beaver, which I find rather hard to believe.

Oh ok, I still don't remember them playing but there are a lot of things I don't remember smile.gif I think I do remember something about the 1986 win but I had already moved to Richmond then.