off topic but important to WV residents

tom

i just read that the state is increasin tolls for the turnpike from $1.25 to $2 for passenger cars..WTF??? i mean when i lived in Charleston for 8 yrs and comuuted to Blfd about 2 twice a month i was payin $7.50 per trip to drive on that dumpy highway and now they are hitting the citizens agin for even more money again, WTF??? the tolls were supposed to be removed several yrs back when the turnpike actually paid for itself but what do ya know, more loans taken against the turnpike by idiot bureacrats and WV's are still paying and paying even more now...well ill tell ya what, the way that state is ran is ONE of many reasons i left WV and will NEVER return as a citizen..and these idiots wonder why the population is decreasing and everyone is moving away..tolls and taxes and fees to work downtown, i mean WTF??? where is this idiocy going to end??? im now a TN resident and i will be till the day i die and i feel for all of you still in WV b/c you are getting gouged and being abused at every turn and, and maybe i should stop now before i say something that has the FBI knocking on my door AGAIN...peace

yeah - i heard that the other day too... i thought it was crazy. as if people weren't already complaining about the $1.25 - DUH. it wouldn't be too bad if the road didn't beat you half to death when going to Charleston. man, that section of 77 is terrible, and now they want to charge us more to drive it... no thanks, i'll go through ghent and go around.

I guess their theory is that they are the only game around, so they can charge what they want. Unless I have no other choice, I just don't go to Charleston. Why pay the extra money to go shop there when I can save the money and go to Roanoke.

i don't go to Charleston very often, but when i do... i miss 2 of the 3 tolls by going through Ghent... through Beckley... and getting back on 77 in Bradley. i haven't found a way around that 3rd one yet. i might have to look it up on the map now and find a way. and i think Hacker brings up a good point... people will just go to Roanoke to shop now instead of going to Charleston (even though that's what i've always done... i'm just saying - more will do it now)

[ QUOTE ]

The turnpike is a piece of crap to put it bluntly. Seems like they would switch over from Concrete to Ashpalt. I know just riding from Richlands To Ghent,jars your insides like crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be worse like in Alabama. They don't need a "Welcome to Alabama" sign on the interstate because the vibration from the road makes it very clear you've left Georgia. The tolls could be worse too. It cost me about $12 to drive from Richmond to Philly and back on I-95. Of course the road was good and even had gas stations and restaurants at the rest areas.

Where are those tolls from Richmond to Philly coming in? The Baltimore tunnels? You can use 695 there and get around that and you will only lose 15 minutes or so. Those are the only tolls I know of between Richmond and Philly along I-95 and I used to live in the Baltimore area.

But yeah the turnpike sucks. I'd drive to Charlotte before going to Charleston shopping.

To comment on another comment about why they used concrete surfaces. When the federal interstate system was implemented, it was mandated that in order to receive federal dollars to build the roads that concrete must be used. You will notice most interstate roads across the country are concrete or at one time were before being resurfaced. The one thing you will notice that both I-77 and I-81 in VA are ashpalt. I-77 is concrete on the WV and NC sides. This is because VA refused to use concrete because of wintertime damage to concrete(salt is bad for concrete) and built these roads using VA dollars and not federal money.

Alabama doesn't take transportation very seriously. Not only are the roads terrible, they don't require a vehicle inspection. So people are driving around with bald tires, broken windshields and missing mufflers, and they didn't even require insurance until a few years ago.

[ QUOTE ]

Alabama doesn't take transportation very seriously. Not only are the roads terrible, they don't require a vehicle inspection. So people are driving around with bald tires, broken windshields and missing mufflers, and they didn't even require insurance until a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because some people's everyday car in Alabama is the same one they take to race at the dirt track on Saturday night...

What makes that funny is it's probably true.

The state of Maryland doesn't require inspection stickers either. They have an emissions test that cars have to pass or if they fail, the owner must prove they had so much work done to the car to try to help it pass. Doesn't matter if the car is endangering other drivers on the road, as long as it's safe for the environment. LOL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because some people's everyday car in Alabama is the same one they take to race at the dirt track on Saturday night...

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes me think about driving through north Alabama in that Pontiac 6000! And anyway now that you mentioned it, why don't we ever get a demo-derby on Friday night anymore? Spike TV (Bluefield channel 14) was running them back in the spring.