A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE IN VHS DISTRICT

PocketNines9

Honaker High played Virginia High last night at VHS. My daughter plays JV girls for Honaker. As the game was about to start, guess who I see waiting to officiate the game. None other than the Athletic Trainer/teacher at VHS, Randy (unsure of last name). He has called one other game, in the VHS tournament, for Honaker. He was on our girls and coach all game. He fails to put down tape to indicate a coaching box, but wants to continually warn our coach about being in the box. Our coach went to him at the half and ask if he wanted to put the tape down and he said no go ahead. Well our coach did. Before the second half began he came over blew his whistle to stop the throw in and ripped up the tape (i guess the box was to big for him) and proceeded to put it back down. It got stuck to his leg and he nearly fell. The crowd erupted. Once the game was over our coach approached Head Girls coach Barry Reed about one of their very own employees calling the games. Reed said thats just how it is. The official also turned to one of the parents in the stands at one point during the game and told the parent to shut up. He is completely unprofessional. Here is my take on the situation. Reed isn't calling the regional assigner. I'm sure when I talk to Johnny Altizer he wont have a clue who worked the JV game b/c Reed isnt calling the games in to get officials...he is letting his own man stay at home and brew up some HOMECOOKING. He called both JV games.

Any JV parents/coaches/players out here in computer land that play VHS, watch out. Do me and everyone else a favor and let Barry Reed know that you dont appreciate a VHS employee working VHS games. Also call Mr. Johnny Altizer, the Regional Officials Assigner.

doesn't matter if you call mr. altizer or not - the school can choose to get their own referees, and vhs must do this to save money - they surely aren't paying the guy as much as they would have to pay other officials

[ QUOTE ]

doesn't matter if you call mr. altizer or not - the school can choose to get their own referees, and vhs must do this to save money - they surely aren't paying the guy as much as they would have to pay other officials

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they wouldnt have to pay him as much. Why? If he were on the official list then Altizer definetly wouldnt allow him to work so close to home. So he would have to travel every night. So sure, he's glad to take a pay cut to stay at home and work the consession stand prior to the game, then put on his stripes and call another terrible game.

It's the principle. He and Reed should both have more respect for opposing teams and for the game than to pull crap like this. It's a clear cut conflict of interest by both parties. The Homecooking part was for other teams that are in VHS district to watch out for. All the HC in the world wouldnt have mattered in that game.

Actually I have officiated before. I didnt say that he didnt call a fair game. I said that its rediculous that he's calling games for VHS to begin with. Then the way he acted toward our coach. Turing to a fan to tell him to shut up...lol. He is very unprofessional. But thats right down Reeds alley (unprofessional).

He didn't tell a fan to shut up all he did was put his finger over his mouth telling them to quit down. As for the coach, he deserved anything he got. He was arogant and yelling and complaining about everything. He brought some of it on himself. Let's see I remember correctly last year when our JV came to you you guys had high school kids refing. Talking about unprofessional.

[ QUOTE ]

He didn't tell a fan to shut up all he did was put his finger over his mouth telling them to quit down. As for the coach, he deserved anything he got. He was arogant and yelling and complaining about everything. He brought some of it on himself. Let's see I remember correctly last year when our JV came to you you guys had high school kids refing. Talking about unprofessional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your going to have to help me out here..."quit down." Mr. Randy "shortround" Hodge turned to a fan, placed his fingers over his mouth and told a fan (much bigger than him) to shut his mouth. Officials dont communicate with fans, period. Had he wanted him removed he should have gotten security, otherwise worry about the game. As for our coach, he coached circles around yours. Arogant, no...confident yes. The only thing that came from VHS coach all night was a box and 1, which she knew nothing about and asking her boyfriend Randy to have our coach in the box. If she'd worry about coaching her team and not the opposing coach she'd be all right. The comment about kids officiating is completely false. We get Region Certified officials sent to us, not local migits on power trips.

It just seems to me that at all JV games the refs could care less. I'm not defending the ref and you guys were the better team and possibly better coached. All in all its JV and means pretty much nothing. I agree that telling a fan to shut up or whatever he did is not the right thing to do.

[ QUOTE ]

It just seems to me that at all JV games the refs could care less. I'm not defending the ref and you guys were the better team and possibly better coached. All in all its JV and means pretty much nothing. I agree that telling a fan to shut up or whatever he did is not the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont agree that most refs take JV lightly, at least not around here. It's all my daughter and her teammates, our coaching staff, and parents have. As far as the ref goes, he may be a great trainer and teacher at VHS, maybe even a great guy, my problem is that he shouldnt do VHS games. I'm sure he knows the players on an indiviual name basis, there lies the conflict, not to mention his loyalte to VHS. Would he intentionally make calls for VHS...I dont know? I hope not, but by working VHS games he is always subject to that criticism.

I have watched Randy ref many games at VHS and I believe he has not given us any calls. However, I do agree that he shouldn't ref our games. I too see the conflict in interest, but he has done a good job of being fair.

They didn't play Twin Valley, they played Northwood, Gate City, and JJ Kelly. By the way your JV team was good, they had good guard play and #24 was unstoppable. Good luck to you and your daughter this year. I meant no disrespect earlier.

We have Castlewood, Haysi, Twin Valley, St.Paul remaining. Northwood's coach told me that they beat Abingdon by 1. I havent seen them personally. I have a couple of Tazewell scores in the paper and they seem to be ok, haven seen them personally either. Anyone else??