Bluefield beats James monroe????

bluefieldRocks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I don't know about Reese Jordan. He is overrated, as he often commits a lot of turnovers in crucial games (At Logan, OT) and takes a lot of dumb shots. A lot of times you can tell all he does is want to shoot because he puts his head down and doesn't even look to pass just penetrates and puts the ball over his head. Also, whenever he drives, he always kicks back out to Dexter, with other shooters left wide open. Matthews may be one of the best inside players around this year. The last series of games, after a really bad ankle injury, he has dominated the boards. He has really good post moves to, however he rarely recieves the ball. And as for Hammond, the man can straight out shoot. Yeah he doesn't average in points like Moore and Jordan, but he takes half of the shots. During the James Monroe game he only missed 2 shots and had 10 points. Often he will hit a three, sometimes two in a row, and the team looks away from him. So yes this team could compete with the players from the late 90's, and I think Coach Gaither would agree.

Bluefield missed alot of free throws in that game in the fourth quarter. If you look at the two teams that won the state championships you can see that it would not take alot of coaching to win with the guys that were out there playing. Ellison, Wells, PArker, Holland, C. Pannell, J. Wright, Y. Isabelle and a few other role players. If you look at the team they have now the only one that could possibly get any playing time would be Dexter. Jordan and matthews would see limited time if any. You can't blame that on Coach Gilliard. I do agree though that the intensity came be picked up but these players are not on the same playing level as those that came before.

I only have 1 question for those of you who seem to think that Gaither was the best coach ever. How do you lose a state championship with Justin King, Jamal Crenshaw, and John Patterson?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hey, he got us there didnt he? Won 2 of em' also

I havent seen gilliard get us this far into the playoffs

With players such as Moore, Matthews, Reese, Ponder, Hammond. How can you not have a good team?

Sorry Beavertail, I don't agree with you about Jordan. He is not concerned with points all that much. He drives with his head down sometimes but also finishes with a spectacular pass. Alot of times you know an awesome pass is coming when he drops his head driving because he knows where he want to put the ball already. Don't remember the turnover in the Logan game. Was that the home or away game. Payne made a crucial turnover in the last seconds of that game, but i cant remember Jordan making one. He does have brain freezes sometimes and makes dumb turnovers, and it is usually when the coach is already on him about something else and he gets frustrated and tries too hard. Just my opinion though, I think he is a very good player and could excel to 1st team all state with another year of eligibility.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

yes he does drive and dish often, but sometimes i feel that he also forces things and looks for points. If you watch the game sometimes, he will go to Moore's side every time and will never swing it back to the other side. Jordan does not have another year of eligilbility.

every team has off./def. game plans & options for plans a thru z. a lot of factors ( known & not-know to spectators ) sometimes can make or break your plans. here's one ( only 1 ) insight that may help you and others understand the westside/bluefield game in charleston, last year.remember-this is only one insight and it will not answer all of your questions of why/why not certain coaching decisions were made.-----while watching the braxton county/bluefield game, #21 repass for bluefield dominated both off./def. & players fed-off of his play & once bluefield got-going they were a load. coach hopkins & staff therefore formulated the bluefield game plan---game plan A, not needed after the first period---just play westside ball and bring-it-home. here's your big insight ( remember, only 1, of this game ). watching bluefield in pre-game warm-ups--#21 repass hit a wet spot during lay-ups and pulled his groin muscle---which got proggessively worse as the game went on. westside game plan changed & bluefield's went out-the-window. yes, good teams can adjust-but to do so from warm-ups to tip-off to such an injury to one of bluefield's top players, was highly unlikely. now, that you are aware of this ( 1 ) insight, you may better understand the why's/why not's concerning the westside/bluefield game.

if you don't understand, that's understandable.

bluefield & staff could've/should've/might've done this or that, but sometimes " things happen " and the ability to change & adapt are not options at that time--at that time.

this friends, is a coaches nightmare & all "second-quessers" dream !!