Bluefield beats James monroe????

bluefieldRocks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you will, but when you narrowly defeat a team with less than half the talent of you then that says something. A team mind you that Bluefield whipped easily in the regular season. I'm sick of the new attitude within the Bluefield basketball program, the one that has developed in the past couple of seasons. You know the one, come out unfocused and unprepared for a battle, expecting to win just b/c you show up. And I'm sick of hearing the excuse about the officials. Against Wyoming East such an argument could be made, but such cannot be made every night.

say what u will... but i think that blfd played to their potential. i mean when the jm guys are goin to the hole and u get CLEAN ball on the block and still get the foul... cmon thats frustrating and u could see the frustration on their faces. and that creates an element of being "careful " when defending... so there u go is that not officiating changin the flow of the game???

and i thought the one blocking foul on dexter when he "statued" near the foul line for the charge when the jm guy drove into him.... geez... and they called blfd for three rather "questionable " charges

one thing i was disappointed in.... that gilliard was not active in "playing" the officials too

K,

We can most certainly agree to disagree. I was spoiled by Bluefield having a real head coach for nearly a decade, so that is where my frustration lies. In my view tonight is just another step back by the program from days gone by and it's disappointing...

Let's keep in mind that these are high school boys playing. As with any sport/event we should expect some mistakes. Even professional and college players have down nights. As for myself, I am happy with the win and I am glad their down night was tonight. I doubt after what happened tonight that Bluefield will let that happen again which is good mentality going to Charleston. I think we need to give these guys props for sticking with it and pulling it out in the end. WAY TO GO!!! Besides I don't think that coaching was all the problem tonight.

Oh I wan't disappointed with the players tonite either. I think they had an up hill battle with foul trouble, elbows and cheap calls. It got to them and I am proud that they pulled it together at the last second. It still is a "W" in the books.

i agree with these guys i was at the game just like about everyother game this year and here's how it went, blfd was up 30-12 and runnin away, reese picked up his 2nd foul and went to the bench then dexter picked up his 3rd and was out, from that point on we struggled, it seemed like guys were afraid to shoot after that, and yea these people were right just like with the coal classic game against east, clean blocks were called fouls and crap like that and it really changed our game, but nevertheless on the regionals against indy, and a trip to charleston in the balance

Guest JJBrickface

Rules it is almost like you want to be this on Coach Gilliard. During my senior year in the 2002-2003 season Coach Gaither was the coach and the team was #1 throughout most of the season but as you may remember was upset by freakin Independence in the regional championship. Independence didn't have the talent no where near to that Bluefield team. Are you going to blame that on Coach Gaither? I know all of the coaches stress going out and giving it your all for the full 36 minutes, but only a few players really take it to heart, especially when playing a team they know doesn't have as much talent.

These players that go onto courts are kids that are my age, there not grown ups and professional athletes that get paid to do what they do best, they go out there and have fun and represnt there school..

i believe vin desil said in the fast and the furious that " It doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winnings winning"

I agree and if we didnt have the heart to step on that court it would have been a blowout in favor of james monroe

i dunno, i think i kinda gotta side with Rules on this to a point.

i mean use to be yrs ago when ppl heard the name Bluefield that it struck fear into there hearts, i means it was almost like when a team plays you guys in football, most teams had themselves beat before playing Bluefield because it was Bluefield

to many teams the name Bluefield was like Northfork, Central, Gary, Woodrow Wilson, etc. etc.

now days ppl hear Bluefield and not as much fear is there, most teams are like hey we can play them or even for some they are like Bluefield who?

i myself am personally not like that, cause i know Blfd. has the top notchest athletes in AA if not all of WV, but i dunno if the same can be said for coaching.

i mean Coach Gaither seems like a great guy and all, but doesnt seem to be as near involved as coach Gaither was, i mean coach Gaither reminded me a lot of coach Hopkins, always on the floor, going back and forth, talking with the refs, howlering at the players and just real emotions

at times i've seen that from Gillard, but not as much as probably some Bluefield fans would like

i mean look at all the programs that's been successful in basketball, look at Westside, Logan, Beckley, among others its normally because they got coaches that are emotional in every facet of the game

but while i say all this, its not to discredit JM or coach Mathis either, i believe Jason is on his way to be one of the better known coaches in baksetball and proved it tonight by bring JM back as close as he did and even with the chance to win!

and give JM credit fellas they have played a lot of AA powers tough this season, the two times Westside met them i think WS was able to get away with 5-10pt victories, and when Wyo. East came to JM well they only came away with a 10pt victory as well

JM has proven that they could contend with the big boys if they wanted and i think alot of it has to do with the coaches (Jason and David Mathis)

[ QUOTE ]

Say what you will, but when you narrowly defeat a team with less than half the talent of you then that says something. A team mind you that Bluefield whipped easily in the regular season. I'm sick of the new attitude within the Bluefield basketball program, the one that has developed in the past couple of seasons. You know the one, come out unfocused and unprepared for a battle, expecting to win just b/c you show up. And I'm sick of hearing the excuse about the officials. Against Wyoming East such an argument could be made, but such cannot be made every night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its all in the coaching...or lack thereof...

All you need to know is that during Gaither's tenture at Bluefield, the Beavers never lost to an opponent with a losing record, NEVER. Gilliard led Bluefield teams lost twice this season to a team with a losing record, Princeton. And I'm not sure what Mount View's record is, but I think it's hovering around .500 as well and if below then that's 3 teams with a losing record. The talent is still there, the coaching isn't...

Guest JJBrickface

You guys are just too stubborn to understand. Its a shame that all of you have something against Coach Gilliard. Obviously you all don't understand basketball at all. If you did then you would know that anyone can beat anyone on any given night.

[ QUOTE ]

Just wondering where you got this undeniable wisdom on Gaither and Gilliard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to clarify exactly what you speak of? I'll be glad to answer when I have clarification on exactly what you’re looking for.

Guest JJBrickface

PT all of the bashers do not understand the game.

[ QUOTE ]

PT all of the bashers do not understand the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime, any place you wish to discuss the game I'll be willing to give you a lesson.

Answer me this, why does a coach dominating a team in the first half by playing a pressure, man-to-man defense suddenly back out of that defense at the very beginning of the second half. Bluefield is built to run and gun, especially against a slow-footed team like James Monroe. So instead of attacking their weakness, he played right into their hands in the second half.

I swear, if I didn't know better I'd think Gilliard was intentionally trying to lose sometimes. He does have that Princeton blood in his veins.

Lol, I love these guys that sit up in the stands and critique and bash and act like they know more than coach K, and call themselves loyal supporters. I bet you've never played the game rules. Sheesh. If you were loyal to your school you'd stop and think of the guys on the team that read this crap and know they have people in their own corner putting them down and bashing them. Hows that for getting behind your team as they prepare for a run at the title.

[ QUOTE ]

If you were loyal to your school you'd stop and think of the guys on the team that read this crap and know they have people in their own corner putting them down and bashing them. Hows that for getting behind your team as they prepare for a run at the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it'll light a fire under the ones of them that continually play half-hearted. They are a couple of guys on the team, namely Dexter Moore, that play hard every night. They bring it every minute of every quarter of every half of every game. They don't show up for part of the game and then absolutely disappear the rest. If every kid on that team showed the heart and passion for that game that Dexter does Bluefield wouldn't be 18-5, they'd be 23-0 b/c the talent is there.

[ QUOTE ]

I bet you've never played the game rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played the game organized for 9 years and it might have been more had I not blown out my Achilles tendon. I still play today; in fact I spent three hours yesterday morning at my local rec.center playing. However, playing the game doesn't mean one really understands it. I've known people that played the game for 15 years and still don't fully understand it. Playing doesn't make you knowledgeable, being a student of the game does.

[ QUOTE ]

And I seriously doubt you will "give me a lesson" hahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

And PT, that comment wasn't meant for you. It was meant for Brickface, whose only nugget of insight is a cop-out of I must know nothing about the game b/c I don't view the world through maroon and white tinted glasses 24/7.