dmspartan

MARTINSVILLE 63; R.E. LEE 54.

MARTINSVILLE: REID - 2 1 6/7 - 13; MITCHELL - 1 0 2/4 -4;

HAIRSTON - 3 0 2/6 - 8; A. HUGHES - 1 0 0/0 - 2;

BEAMER - 6 0 5/10 - 17; WIMBUSH - 7 0 5/6 - 19.*

TEAM TOTALS: 20 1 20/33 - 63.

R.E. LEE: R. CRAWFORD - 2 0 6/7 - 10;

E. CRAWFORD - 4 2 1/3 - 15; K. SCOTT - 3 1 1/1 - 10;

LIGHTFOOT - 3 0 5/10 - 11; BERKLEY - 4 0 0/1 - 8.

TEAM TOTALS: 16 3 13/22 - 54.

SCORING BY QUARTERS:

MARTINSVILLE: 10 11 22 20 - 63.

R. E. LEE: 11 11 13 19 - 54.

FOULED OUT: MARTINSVILLE - NONE.

R. E. LEE - R. CRAWFORD.

*GAME-HIGH SCORER

Great coaching job by the staff of the Bulldogs. Lee was excellent in the running game and Martinsville slowed the game down. Even stalled for a pretty good period of time before halftime. The zone was another great move by the coaching staff. The Bulldogs were prepared and made great adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...

And a grest BIG thank you to Travis and Jeremy Wells - whose EXCELLENT scouting report on R. E. LEE helped the coaching staff prepare the game plan for the finals. And, yes, they are Coach Wells' sons! Does that tell you how much THEY hate LEE?

it doesn't really show how much they hate lee, i'd say it shows their loyalty to their dad.

martinsville won when it counted, but if the two teams played ten times, r.e. lee would win 9 of those. as for the coach from martinsville outcoaching the coach from lee......nah....i've seen him in action before.

Excuuuuuse me? Coach Wells didn't outcoach "THE LEGEND"? And what planet are you from?

No doubt that Lee would win 9 out of 10 from this year's version of the Bulldogs - Lee's players position-by-position are much better athletes than Martinsville's. But Lee also plays five players who didn't seem to "mesh" as a team - unlike the 'Dogs.

I think you need to check into some of the teams Lee beat that are included in their 85-game winning streak - the Miller school(300 students and 7 basketball team members); the Aussie Junior National Olympic team where no one knew each other's name and had to practice for 45 minutes before the game; even the rest of the Valley district whose best athletes attend Robert E. Lee(and I did NOT say anything about the "R" word).

And as for "meshing" as a team, well, let's just say that playing one-on-five looks like team play when your opposition is OUTCLASSED and UNDERMANNED. And said seniors played most of the minutes in all those games to "pad" their statistics. Robert E. Lee shot 57% from the field during the regular season - but 80% of those shots were lay-ups, dunks, and shots "in the paint". And the Leemen couldn't get into the "paint" against Martinsville - care to guess the reason? A true "team" would have found a way but the Leemen couldn't because they could only focus on themselves finding their individual way down "where the men play". I didn't see them set a single screen/"pick" for one another during the championship game because Crawford/Crawford/Lightfoot/Berkley weren't used to the "need" to do so. And when the Leemen started "trapping" the ball late in the fourth quarter at Richmond, they allowed the ballhandlers for Martinsville to "split" the defenders instead of "sealing" them in the trap. A "real" team would never have allowed either Emanuel Reid or Shaquan Beamer - both of whom are good ballhandlers but NOT EXCEPTIONAL ones - to get by them. With Dominik Mitchell on the bench with 4 fouls, Lee should have been able to get back "into the game" but they couldn't.

Credibility? Never claimed to have any - but I do know what I saw. And I DO KNOW the game.