UNC loses....

Grundy10

[ QUOTE ]

Next season cant get here soon enough so that Bobby Frasor can find his favorite seat on the bench and let Tywon Lawson show him how to play PG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea right..I can see them both getting good amounts of playing time..Did u see how he stepped up at the end of the game today and kept it close with the 2 Threes

[ QUOTE ]

Next season cant get here soon enough so that Bobby Frasor can find his favorite seat on the bench and let Tywon Lawson show him how to play PG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sell Frasor short. I'm not sure if you're aware of it or not, but Frasor isn't a true point guard. He wasn't the PG for his high school or his AAU team. After committing to Carolina Frasor played some point for his high school during his senior season b/c Coach Williams asked him to work on his ball-handling. The kid also isn't an amazing athlete, he's solid, but he has had to face a number of PGs this year that were definitely more athletic than he.

What earned Frasor so much attention from D-1 schools was his ability to shoot the basketball, especially the mid-range jumper. The kid will be a valuable asset next season playing mostly at the 2-guard slot. Without having to worry about getting his teammates involved playing the point his shot will get much more of his focus. Don't be surprised if he isn't the starting the 2-guard next season. Besides, the experienced he gained this season running the point will be extremely valuable to Carolina next season.

For every shot he makes he messes up 3 times. Did you see his top notch D at the end when he gave up the lay up in the lane? How about his turnover with 6 seconds to go? Have you watched all season and seen him turn certain stretches into turnover fests? Frasor played well for the most part but his turnover's killed UNC all season long. Tywon Lawson has an EXCELLENT chance of starting by mid-season. His quickness and willingness to push the ball (Frasor struggles with this at times too) will play right in with Roy's system.

And if it wasn't for Bobby Frasor Carolina wouldn't have won nearly as many games as they did this season. The kid played out of position all season and did a helluva job in doing such. He made mistakes today, but everyone on the team made mistakes from Noel to Terry to Hansbrough. He isn't the lone reason Carolina lost.

Furthermore, there is ZERO doubt that Ty Lawson will be the starting PG from day one. In fact, the minute the game ended today he became the starting PG for Carolina.

Thompson, Stephenson, Wright, and Hansbrough are all interchangeable at the 4/5 and all will see time at those positions throughout the season. Roy Williams will have a problem that a lot of coaches would love to have, trying to divide up playing time with 12 players all capable of contributing to your team. North Carolina practices next season will be more challenging for the players than many of the games...

A good read for the Carolina fans...

http://tarheelblue.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031906aab.html

Lucas: Right Now

Adam Lucas on the loss to George Mason.

March 19, 2006

By Adam Lucas

DAYTON--Right now this hurts.

Tomorrow, supposedly, it will feel better.

Right now all I know is that tomorrow will bring a morning newspaper with the obligatory "sad faces on bench" photo of the Tar Heels.

Tomorrow I think I will leave the paper in the driveway all day.

Right now Quentin Thomas is in the Dayton Arena, in the shower, flat on his back in full uniform.

Tomorrow I think Quentin Thomas should be so proud of the progress he made this season.

Right now Wes Miller, who has been the go-to guy for the media all season, isn't answering any questions. Right now he is hunched over facing his locker, head in his hands.

Tomorrow I think Wes Miller will be back in the gym working on his shot. Maybe even tonight.

Right now Tyler Hansbrough is up on that familiar NCAA blue podium answering questions from the media, and you know what? Right now Tyler Hansbrough looks very young.

Tomorrow I think Tyler Hansbrough might take a moment to reflect on one of the most fantastic freshman seasons in Carolina history.

Right now I look back on that senior night win in Durham as, frustratingly, the emotional peak of the season.

Tomorrow I think I will look back on that senior night win in Durham as one of the most memorable wins of the Roy Williams era.

Right now Roy Williams is not crying. And that, somehow, makes it hurt worse. Right now his eyes are red and the tears are there, but he is talking about his team and calling them "an unbelievable group of kids" and the tears can't fall. Have you ever been so hurt you can't cry anymore?

Tomorrow I think he will still feel the same way about this team, and that is what makes them--and him--so endearing.

Right now I wish George Mason had never put in that 1-2-2 zone in practice a few weeks ago.

Tomorrow I think we will start to realize, just as Williams said, that the game has changed. The first- and second-round games are no longer walkovers for the power programs. They are legitimate contests against competitive teams who have good basketball players and aren't intimidated.

Right now I wish Carolina hadn't made that last comeback. Right now I wish David Noel hadn't made that game-tying three-pointer and Bobby Frasor hadn't cut the lead to two points with 20 seconds to play. Because that just made it more painful at the end.

Tomorrow I think that spirit will make me proud.

Right now Reyshawn Terry knows he could have done better.

Tomorrow I think he will start committing himself to doing exactly that.

Right now Bobby Frasor's eyes are red.

Tomorrow I think he will be better from having played a full season at point guard and being forced to run a team in the Atlantic Coast Conference, something very few rookies ever have to do.

Right now David Noel...right now I am not ready to write about David Noel.

Right now I want the Tar Heels to come back on the floor. They walked off the Dayton Arena floor all wrong. They walked off at the opposite corner from the hundreds of Carolina fans who had come to support them. We were standing there, completely silent, ready to give them one last ovation, hoping there might be one more chance to raise our hands above our heads and clap until our hands hurt. And then they were gone, disappearing into the tunnel, and all we could do was stand there and put our hands in our pockets.

Tomorrow I think I will write them a letter.

Right now I do not want to hear about brackets, Cinderellas, or upsets. Right now I do not want to watch one second of the rest of the NCAA Tournament.

Tomorrow I think I will start paying attention to baseball.

Right now Marcus Ginyard is doing what he has always been willing to do--answer questions from the media. They have ignored him for most of the year but now he is one of the few capable of putting together a coherent sentence, and now they need him. And right now he is as gracious as he has been throughout the season.

Tomorrow I think he'll be on the way to being one of the best defenders Carolina has ever had.

Right now David Noel...right now I am not ready to write about David Noel.

Right now Danny Green is not smiling for one of the first times all season.

Tomorrow I think the smile will be back, because 19-year-olds bounce back so much faster than we do.

Right now Byron Sanders is a success story. He has been occasionally maligned and occasionally loved. And he will leave as something maybe no one expected a year ago--a valuable contributor to the 2006 Tar Heels.

Tomorrow I think Byron Sanders will be a success story, because he'll be one day closer to his degree and one day he'll probably do something with a computer that will make you shake your head and say, "Man, that kid knows his stuff."

Right now I don't want to think about next year, which is funny because when this season started--think back with me--all anyone wanted to talk about was next year. "Just survive this year and get to next year. Man, we are going to be good next year. I can't wait until next year." But right now I don't want to hear about recruits or depth or predictions or schedules.

Tomorrow I think 2007 might start to look very enjoyable.

Right now I am disappointed.

Tomorrow I think this team becomes a benchmark. As in sitting around 10 years from now and telling your buddy, "Man, if this team played as hard as that team we had in 2006..."

Right now David Noel is everything that's right about Carolina basketball, everything you thought had been lost in a wave of NBA early entries and me-first players and a lack of fundamentals. David Noel takes charges. David Noel thanks the passer. David Noel huddles at the foul line. David Noel says "yes, sir." David Noel leads.

Tomorrow I think someone will say, "All they're losing is David Noel next year," and they will vastly underestimate what a colossal loss that will be, as though all you have to do is replace the 12.6 points and 6.8 rebounds per game and the role is filled.

Right now I am still in love with a basketball team and I am heartbroken.

Tomorrow I think the pain will start to go away.

Right now I am ready for tomorrow.

While I hate to see a promising season end this way, it has be a SUCESSFUL season. If you would've told me after last April and all the defections that we'd finish second in the ACC, have the National Froch of the Year and dominate like we did the second half of the season, I would've call you crazy! For David and the others that are leaving us this year, thank you VERY much for everything you've done! For those coming back, time to bust your butts and gett better! The future of Tar Heel basketball is here and now folks and it is looking bright!!!

I think the real question is will anyone leave early and force Roy Williams to start over again next November after grooming a guy for only one year. To me that's the real question for Carolina's off season, retention of first and second year guys.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the real question is will anyone leave early and force Roy Williams to start over again next November after grooming a guy for only one year. To me that's the real question for Carolina's off season, retention of first and second year guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sandman, I've got $100 that says no one leaves early for the NBA this spring. The only threat to do such is Hansbrough and he isn't going anywhere.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll put $100 on it that Tyler doesn't leave and give you 10 to 1 odds. wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't get a chance to post this yesterday b/c I was out of town, so I'll provide the link now. It's official (and no surprise), Hansbrough is returning to Carolina for his sophomore season...

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/514649.html

[ QUOTE ]

"I never really considered leaving for the NBA after this season," said Hansbrough. "However, Coach Williams still provided me information he learned from his contacts in the league and after listening to that information I still think it is best for me to come back and be with my teammates again and hopefully have another fantastic season. The NBA is definitely a goal of mine down the line but right now I am enjoying college a great deal and feel I can improve in every phase of my game. I enjoy school, my teammates, and being part of the Carolina Basketball program.

[/ QUOTE ]