Rumors??

mavsgrad

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm or refute this. My dad was told at work that Weir and Bluefield may be moving up to AAA in the next year or two. The last time I checked Bluefield was right in the middle as far as enrollment and wasn't close to moving up. Just wondered if anyone close to the teams knew anything

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the WVSSAC's plan to go to four classes for football is approved, then yes, both Bluefield and Weir would be in AAA. However, until any such change occurs, Bluefield and Weir will remain in AA.

No rumors, it's fact. If the State B.O.E. passed the SSAC's new four class proposal for football Bluefield and Weir would be classified in a new AAA class. And James Monroe would be right on the border between AAA and AA depending on how they would split the new classifications. The most common thought has JM as the largest school in a new AA classification...

[ QUOTE ]

So thats been passed allready Rulez?

So bluefield has a chance to win there 7th AAA title this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been passed by the SSAC. However, it must still be passed by the State Board of Education before it becomes reality or "law"...

You had to see this coming a little bit. I've noticed, especially in recent years,teams just not looking like they even showed up in playoff games, and get massively blown out by obviously superior teams. I know that in AA, Weir, James Monroe, and Wayne each scored over 60 points in game in the playoffs. Wayne in particular scored 84 on liberty Raliegh. Their are several teams who schedule weak teams all year, and it bites them hard and early in the postseason, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

This is one way of fixing the problem, the other way would be to go back to having 8 playoff spots, which is about as likely as me tatooing a Beaver on my arm (haugh haugh).

It's probably a good move in the long run. Some teams like Princeton, who have good talent, but just don't match up with bigger programs, James Monroe may be the same way, get more of an even playing field. For years, and still to this day I've despised Virginia's playoff system. You could be the One of the top teams in the state, and if you had a tough district, and went maybe 8-2, you could miss the playoffs, and watch some team with a 6-4 or 5-5 record from a weak distrct make it in and get beat by 50 points. If they go with this system in WV, and a team schedules powder puffs all year, you still lose in the playoffs, but your fans might not suffer shock from looking at the score board.

As a James Monroe fans, I've watched my team be on the brink for a long time, remember how Bluefield was sort of a mediocre tema in the late 80's and early 90's, then switched to AA in about '94. There were a lot of other factors that led to their resurgence, but if that hadn't happened, I think it's safe to say they wouldn't have been to 7 title games since then. I don't know if that kind of change would bring similar results for team like JM and Princeton, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, DO NOT!! think that I expect any less out of James Monroe the next couple of years. It would be great to have a AA title while the competion is a little harder, just to say we could. 2006 would be a good opportunity to sneak in when a lot of people really wouldn't see it coming.

[ QUOTE ]

For years, and still to this day I've despised Virginia's playoff system. You could be the One of the top teams in the state, and if you had a tough district, and went maybe 8-2, you could miss the playoffs, and watch some team with a 6-4 or 5-5 record from a weak distrct make it in and get beat by 50 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mavs, we saw this happen in Single A D2 two years ago. A 9-1 George Wythe team sat at home while a 5-5 Grayson Co team took their playoff spot because they won their district. The VHSL has taken steps to try and prevent this by expanding the Regionals to 8 teams. The only catch is that the Regions have the final say in whether they continue with the current system or expand. I would LOVE to see Virginia go to the West Virginia system. You tend to get the best teams in the state in the playoffs. Keeps the first round blowouts to mainly the 1-16, 2-15, & 3-14 matchups.

I agree with you on what you said about Bluefield dropping to AA that if they would have stayed in AAA they woul not have been to that many state championship games. Maybe 2 at the most and those would have been the 2 years that they won on '97 and I think '04.

I disagree. BLFD were beating teams that had deated the AAA teams in the previous weeks before. I agree the 05' team would not have made to AAA championship.Like the 97' teams, that was one of BLUEFIELD's best ever!!! AAA or AA

Actually bluefield had some formidable teams in the late '80s and early '90s in aaa, '87 and '92 in particular. The '92 bluefield team was perhaps the strongest and most physically imposing teams that bluefield's had in my opinion, but I don't think they used their personelle to their potential paticularly at qb and that cost them in the playoff game against capitol. Theyhad the potential to earn the title, as did about 3 other teams, capitol, barborsville and dupont.

That said, myself I don't care for this change in that it really doesn't address the real problem of aaa, where the princeton size schools still have to compete the bigger aaa teams. a and aa weren't a problem in my opinion. I thought if they were gonna have 4 classification they should simply have it in groups of around 330 students, up to that for a, 660 or so for aa, then up 1,000 for aaa, and aaaa over 1,000. They way they did it it seems their concern was more about the heaveyweights in a. Which of course many people agree is 1 of the big reasons they did it.

The state of WV does not need 4 divisions for football. They hardly have enough schools to have 3 divisions. Bluefield would have had a chance to win the AAA state championship in 97 because that was one of the best football teams I've ever seen in AA along with the 98 Weir team. However, the 2004 team would not have won a state title in AAA. Morgantown was statistically one of the most dominating team in WV HS football history winning every game by at least 24 points. I'll even admit that Weir wouldn't have been able to beat Morgantown in 2004 and Weir and Bluefield were evenly matched and the two best teams in AA that year.

While the numbers aren't there and likely will decrease overall eventually due to consolidation, it's still warranted to divide aaa in my opinion. I doubt they could have 16 team playoffs for aaa and aaaa if they had 1/2 of the present aaa classifications in each aaa and aaaa, but it would be a quality 8 team field and fun for the fans and state with a 4th title. I read it's not likely to pass the last approval anyhow. When do they vote anyhow?

I played for Graham in the early 90's and Bluefield's '92 team was a pretty good one. They beat us in overtime. IN my opinion they could have beat just about any one of the teams that Bluefield has put out with the exception of the '97 team. I also agree that the QB position hurt them in the end against Capitol but it happens at this level. you play the best you have. Some may say that Lane should have been the QB but then who would they have had to make those big catches that he made back then. He made a hell of a catch against us that beat us in the '91 game 6-4.

I agree Weir. Not only because i played on the 97 team. we came out with the win agianst you guys i believe either team would have won AA or AAA in 97'. The AAAA seams like a good idea when teams are matched up like princeton and morgantown.

I don't understand why everyone uses Morgantown as an example of a team that has been dominant forever. They have built a dynasty but that is because of great coaching and dedication in the weightroom. Princeton has the athletes to have a good team but the coaching is terrible. I remember a few years back when they had Will Albin and Anthony Hayes and defeated Parkersburg South who was #1 at the time in AAA and then lost early in the playoffs.

[ "Their are several teams who schedule weak teams all year, and it bites them hard and early in the postseason, but this is starting to get ridiculous." ]

NOT WANTING TO GET ANYTHING STARTED, BECAUSE I RESPECT THE PLAYERS GREATLY AT JAMES MONROE, AND THEY ARE A TOWN OF TRADITIONAL TALENT. BUT JAMES MONROE WAS KINDA GUILTY OF THE PATSY SCHEDULING FOR YEARS IN ORDER TO GET IN TO THE PLAYOFFS. THEY ARE FINALLY STARTING TO SCHEDULE SOME RESPECTABLE TEAMS, BUT STILL HAVE SOME QUESTIONABLES ON THEIR SCHEDULE.

"I don't understand why everyone uses Morgantown as an example of a team that has been dominant forever"

Ok, whats you point, they have been a dynasty in AAA for about the last 10 yrs., That might be why people use them as an example. Just like everyone refers to BLUEFIELD as a dynasty in AA and AAA when they there too.

QUOTE:

"NOT WANTING TO GET ANYTHING STARTED, BECAUSE I RESPECT THE PLAYERS GREATLY AT JAMES MONROE, AND THEY ARE A TOWN OF TRADITIONAL TALENT. BUT JAMES MONROE WAS KINDA GUILTY OF THE PATSY SCHEDULING FOR YEARS IN ORDER TO GET IN TO THE PLAYOFFS. THEY ARE FINALLY STARTING TO SCHEDULE SOME RESPECTABLE TEAMS, BUT STILL HAVE SOME QUESTIONABLES ON THEIR SCHEDULE."

That's not been a very well hidden secret. There's been several years where that's come to bite them, When you see a team like James Monroe, Williamstown, or even bigger teams like Martinsburg, who are consistently at the top of the rankings, and ave no titles to show for it. JM's schedule is a little better than it's been in the past, we've only got 1 single A team, who's usually a playoff team, and have gotten rid of Summers Co., and picked up Mt View. Greenbrier E, Wyoming E, Oak Hill, Shady Spring, and even Bluefield should be improved from last year. Don't ask me why Pikeview's still there, and don't try to tell me Lincoln is the closest 10th game we could get. I know there a descent team, but you might as well try to schedule with Poca or Wayne if you want to travel that far.

After the loss in the semi's last year, one of our fans said it best. "It doesn't do a @#*! bit of good to go 10-0, and then lose to Bluefield in the playoffs. When you look at the fact the 4 of the last 5 AA title were won by teams that lost at least 1 game, and 3 of them by Poca who lost more than that each season they won the big game. Bottom line is you can't schedule pushovers all year, and then play someone like Bluefield, Mt. View or Princeton and expect that to make everthing OK.

QUOTE:

I have notice the weak schedule..it like every year JM goes undefeated and bluefield just smashes there hopes of the big game.

Then Bluefield goes on to have a nightmare in Wheeling. 40-0...lol

[ QUOTE ]

QUOTE:

I have notice the weak schedule..it like every year JM goes undefeated and bluefield just smashes there hopes of the big game.

Then Bluefield goes on to have a nightmare in Wheeling. 40-0...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

But at least they got there!ZLOL

Lol, i don't think , of anyone on here, james monroe has any grounds to bash our performance in the state title game. As we have been their heartbreaker for years now. Just keep in mind it was 12-0 with 2 minutes left in the third quarter, then we fell apart. It wasn't a dominating stomping like we were unable to match up with them or anything.

For the beavers.. going to JM at the end of the season each year was just like a bye, or scrimmage. It gave the freshman a chance for them to play!! Think if you all would have beat us that year.. would have got beat worse then that!.. ohh i almost forgot.. LOL