coach @ pocahontas

POCYHOKIE

What kind of head coach with an open date the first game of the year goes to the grahmm beaver game when they are not on the sched. This is a big joke. Go scout the teams you play. If you can't do that give the money back and go away!!!

[ QUOTE ]

What kind of head coach with an open date the first game of the year goes to the grahmm beaver game when they are not on the sched. This is a big joke. Go scout the teams you play. If you can't do that give the money back and go away!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, considering that the first three teams that Pocy plays this season DID NOT PLAY last night, who should he have gone to watch? Of the four teams on Pocy's schedule that did play last night...there will be plenty of film to go over when its time to play those teams.

Also, with the lack of talent in Pocy, what's the differnce if he scouted other teams or not? Is that going to be the difference in losing by 5 TDs and losing by 7 TDs??? At that point, it really doesn't matter. A loss is a loss. Pocy should drop football anyway...its a horrible waste of resources for Tazewell County...that's the BIG JOKE in this post...

[ QUOTE ]

when he signs a contract to coach he can't still be a kid!Thats not what a winner would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

As if someone from Pocahontas knows ANYTHING about WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES...

[ QUOTE ]

its not about the kids. they are not getting paid to play. He is being paid to coach. that is chicken s##t to say that about those kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, you are right. I shouldn't have made the comment about the talentless kids at Pocahontas. But a coach can only do so much. He has to work with what he's got, which isn't much in Pocy's case. Vince Lombardi on his best day couldn't make Pocy a winner. So don't blame the coach... he's not a miracle worker...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With jerks like you, Scott doesn't stand a chance down there. Be glad someone wanted to take that crappy job.By the way, your quarterback was there also. I saw him. You ever think he may have been showing his kids who they will be playing for in a few years?

except for his last couple of years, when wyatt was at pocahontas, they contended for the bdd/med crown every season. now, the program is a joke. yes, numbers are low and will continue to get even lower, but you can't say coaching plays no role in the program's sharp drop-off. they didn't have a lot of kids under wyatt, but the ones he had were disciplined and had at least some semblance of pride about them.

on the other hand, louthan going to beaver/graham. it's not something i, as a coach, would have done. but, realistically, he's young and maybe didn't stop to consider that a parent/fan would be there, see him, and vent about that kind of thing on a message board. personally, i think both actions show immaturity.

but, the bottom line is: gman's right. pocy honestly doesn't have the personnel to stop anybody, whether their opponents are scouted or not.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that Pocy MIGHT be running some of the same schemes that were used Fri. night. As a rookie, wouldn't it make sense to "scout" your schemes?

And I wouldn't be surprised if more players than just the QB were there.

Maybe it was a field trip.

I wasn't there but I talked to alot of Pocy players that went to the game. I dont know how you're going to question what a teenager wants to do on a Friday night and make a argument about it?

Who's business is it if Coach Louthan wants to go to the Graham/Beaver game? In all due respect, Narrows played James Monroe and Ft. Chiswell played Rural Retreat, which would have been hard for either of those teams to compete, so why would he want to watch a 50 point game against a MED team, rather than go watch his old school play the biggest game of the year?

Talentless? There's talent there...just don't have 30 talented players like other schools do. Shayne Dillon (a senior btw) is as good as a QB throwing the ball that is around here. You've all never seen Pocy practice or play so how could you make a comment like that?

POCYHOKIE..I don't know who you are, but you are really classless. You have no right to talk about Coach Louthan or his decisions. If more people at Pocahontas would get behind Louthan rather than cuss him out and try to get in fights with him at basketball games then maybe they would have something. Coach Louthan knows all the players well..he's a great guy, I miss him alot, I know he'll get everything out of the players.

Just for somethin extra, in their 3 scrimmages this year they beat Midland Trail and Westside, and only lost to Iaeger by one point... find out some info before you reply please.

very good post

It's always a numbers game with any small school. You gotta have numbers to pick and choose who plays in what positions. Small schools have to fill holes with players where they can get them. The abilities of some of the athletes may not be any less that those of the big schools, but this is where it comes down to numbers. You gotta have depth to win consistently especially if you have a key player or two injured. I'll take 20 players who wanna give it 110% every play than 50 players who won't give it their all.

That's why I will give Coach Wyatt all the credit in the world for having the success at Pocahontas, however limited it was sometimes, he had with the small numbers he got to show up to play. His teams showed up ready to play every game.

Isn't it usually an assistant coach or volunteer who will scount upcoming teams on the schedule? I've even seen cases where another team will send you tape on another team if the coach at one school has a good relationship with the coach of another school.

I see no fault at all with him wanting to attend the Graham/Bluefield game. You can't fault a coach who is seemingly doing the best he can do with the cards he is dealt can you? Some people will complain no matter, just look at any major college football or basketball program who isn't winning or even if they are winning someone thinks they should be winning more or winning more convincingly. There will always be those who think the ship is sinking no matter how well things are going.

OK this whole argument is hilarious. The great Bobby Wyatt was a astounding 7-23 his last three years at Pocahontas and chose to leave to go to Tazewell where the free press (check the archives) quoted him as saying "The kids were athletic and cared about football". This Pocyhokie guy is a joke and I bet its "toothpick time" making all the statements. The community knows who it is. Listen Louthan is a good guy and a proven winner with the basketball program at Pocahontas. He has won more games in basketball at the school than in the previous six or seven years combined. Bobby Wyatt may be a saint to those people in Pocahontas, but please remember he left for greener pastures and was quoted as such. Secondly, 3 of those wins came against a team that did not win a game all season. Another four of those wins came against schools with losing records. Louthan is 0-0 at the moment. Last, but not least Wyatt was the second and only other decision for Tazewell. A Graham Alum had the job as I recall but due to some legal troubles the job was given to the only other qualified applicant. Bobby Wyatt has done a wonderful job with his coaching staff at his new program where the kids "care about football". T.J. Sayers was recruited away from Pocahontas by former coaches and is now doing very well there also. As a freshman he lead Pocahontas in tackles and had over 1000 receiving yards. He chose to jump ship also. I guess my message is to support the kids and the coach instead of tearing them down. May be a good lesson for you to follow throughout life POCYHOKIE.

[ QUOTE ]

The great Bobby Wyatt was a astounding 7-23 his last three years at Pocahontas

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that "astounding" or "outstanding"??? Winning 7 games in three years at Pocy, in my opinion, is "outstanding"...

To just point out the last 3 years of Coach Wyatt's record at Pocahontas would seem a little short sighted. He did have some success, when he had numbers on the team. It's a little more than obvious that with numbers comes the increased chance to finding the better players to put on the field. Why do you think the Tidewater area produces so many great athletes? That's why I said he did a good job with the cards that were dealt him.

I don't know any coach who would be satisfied with staying at Pocahontas with the low turnout for football and being on the county's chopping block. He was looking for "greener pastures" long before the Tazewell job.

But the point of my whole post, was not to put Coach Wyatt on a pesastal of greatness but just to use him as an example that you can win if you get the numbers to show up to play even at Pocahontas. He's getting numbers now at Tazewell and having some sucess with it. But, for some local armchair quarterback to question the current coach because he goes to the Graham/Beaver game seemed a little childish and naive.

Maybe said poster longs for the "Hammer time" days? tongue.gif

My point is that a coach at any level is not doing the job for the money. If you break down pay per hour it will come to around $0.75/hr for assistants and roughly $2.00/hr for head coaches. By the way "Hammer Time" was a joke. As I remember it Graham High Schools JV beat them in a scrimmage 40 something to 6. Their first string on Grahams JV played roughly one quarter before turning it over to the 2nd string. I think that Pocahontas can begin a rich history in a small area if tthe COMMUNITY allows it.

[ QUOTE ]

My point is that a coach at any level is not doing the job for the money. If you break down pay per hour it will come to around $0.75/hr for assistants and roughly $2.00/hr for head coaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that much...